IGNORED

atasm and Altirra debugging

I've been playing with some code and using atasm to assemble it.  Loading the code and using the Altirra debugger is ready easy, especially with the -l options to dump the labels to a file.  As long as the labels file has the same base filename as the executable all is ok.  The only thing missing from the joy was source level debugging; Altirra's documentation mentioned you had to use mads or xasm.

But atasm is my tool of choice, so I pulled the source code and made the changes.  If you assemble a file with the -l and -g options you will now get a .lst file that allows source level debugging under Altirra.

Also added support for the ;##TRACE and ;##ASSERT diagnostics.

; Generate an altirra.lst and altirra.lab file with
; atasm -oaltirra.xex -laltirra.lab -galtirra.lst altirra.asm
    *=$2000        ; Start @ $2000
BOOT_THIS    
    lda #0
    sta storehere
    ;##TRACE "Display list address = $%04X" dw(vdslst)
loop
    jmp loop

storehere .byte 1

.bank
    * = $2e0
    .word BOOT_THIS

If you assemble the above file with atasm 1.11 (https://github.com/CycoPH/atasm) and launch Altirra like this: Altirra.exe altirra.xex /debugcmd:.loadsym /debug

you will see Altirra break into the debugger and showing you where the display list is located. Clicking Debug and selecting "Source file list ..." will give you altirra.asm as an option.

Load it and you will have full source level debugging

Altirra.PNG

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I am using ATasm 1.11 with WUDSN IDE and Altirra 3.90 to try to do source level debugging. I don't think the breakpoints inserted in the WUDSN IDE are working.   ATasm makes the .lab and .lst files, but the .lst file is only one line long and says, "mads (generated by atasm)".  My program is about 3000 lines of code with many labels and equates, so I'm thinking that the .lst file is not being created correctly.  Altirra does not give me the source code window and instead says that my breakpoint is "deferred."  Any help would be appreciated.  Altirra never breaks into the debugger until I manually hit F8. This is what the Altirra console window says when I manually break:

Altirra Debugger 3.90

Automatic symbol loading is enabled.

Use .help for a list of commands and .help <cmdname> for help on a specific command.
_______

Loaded symbols F:\Atari\ATasm\CENT36.lst
Loaded symbols F:\Atari\ATasm\CENT36.lab
Loaded debugger script F:\Atari\ATasm\CENT36.atdbg
Source debugging mode is now on.

Loading executable...

0 breakpoint(s) cleared.
Deferred breakpoint 0 set at F:\Atari\ATasm\CENT36.ASC:221.
EXE: Loading program 0006-0007 to 02E0-02E1
EXE: Loading program 000C-0026 to 1F03-1F1D
EXE: Loading program 002B-0037 to 1F36-1F42
EXE: Loading program 003C-003E to 1F5D-1F5F
EXE: Loading program 0043-0045 to 2000-2002
EXE: Loading program 004A-052B to 2051-2532
EXE: Loading program 0530-0541 to 2534-2545
EXE: Loading program 0546-0557 to 2547-2558
EXE: Loading program 055C-056D to 255A-256B
EXE: Loading program 0572-07C3 to 256D-27BE
EXE: Loading program 07C8-07D9 to 27C0-27D1
EXE: Loading program 07DE-07EF to 27D3-27E4
EXE: Loading program 07F4-0805 to 27E6-27F7
EXE: Loading program 080A-0A03 to 27F9-29F2
EXE: Loading program 0A08-0A19 to 29F4-2A05
EXE: Loading program 0A1E-0A2F to 2A07-2A18
EXE: Loading program 0A34-0A45 to 2A1A-2A2B
EXE: Loading program 0A4A-0D4E to 2A2D-2D31
EXE: Loading program 0D53-1C67 to 3000-3F14
EXE: Launching at 2000
(145:248,  0) A=AE X=0A Y=03 S=F4 P=30 (      )  2243: B1 C1             LDA (MISCL),Y [$37AB] = $37

Here is how I get it done.  Some asm, save it as test.asm

-----

; A simple test app to put some color on the screen
COLPF2 = $d018
COLBK = $D01A
WSYNC = $d40a
VCOUNT = $d40b
RTCLOK = $14

* = $2000
BOOT_THIS
    lda #0
    sta test
loop
    lda RTCLOK
    tay
    clc
    adc VCOUNT
    tax

tya
    asl
    sec
    sbc VCOUNT

sta WSYNC

sta COLBK
    stx COLPF2
    jmp loop

test: .byte 0

*=$2e0
    .word BOOT_THIS

-----

Assemble with:

atasm.exe -otest.xex -ltest.lab -gtest.lst "test.asm"

This will produce the test.lst file

----

mads (generated by atasm)

Source: test.asm
10 2000  A9 00        lda #0
11 2002  8D 1F 20     sta test
13 2005  A5 14        lda RTCLOK
14 2007  A8           tay
15 2008  18           clc
16 2009  6D 0B D4     adc VCOUNT

-----

and the .lab file with the three defined symbols

2000 BOOT_THIS
2005 LOOP
201f TEST

Note the "mads (generated by atasm)" line in the .lst file, that is required by altirra (at least the "|mads (" part) to enable source level debugging.

Just those two files should give you source level debugging.  Press F8 to break into the Altirra debugger and it will have loaded the symbols and source code or might ask you for the folder where the source code is, but it works.

To get source level debugging with break-points to work you need an atdbg file.  It should be created by your IDE.  In the Atasm-Altirra-Bridge VScode plugin it looks at your breakpoints and generates the file.  I've not used WUDSON but I'm sure there is a way to get it done.

I put a breakpoint on line 10 & 11 (lda #0 sta test) and this is was the VSCode plugin generated

------

bc *
bp -k -q `test.asm:10`
bp -k -q `test.asm:11`
.echo 2 breakpoints from 1 files have been set}
.sourcemode on

------

bc clears all the break points

bp sets a break-point at line 10 and 11

.sourcemode on - turns on source level debugging

Note that I've never gotten the first break-point to hit, the second always hits.

Atasm also sends out the ##TRACE commands correctly, so you can embed something like this

;##TRACE "Your acc = $d" @a

into your code and the altirra debugger will dump a line "your acc = 123" or whatever your A register was every time it sees that code in the program execution

test.atdbg test.brk test.lab test.lst test.asm

Thank you for the detailed response.  Do I need to have a ##TRACE statement somewhere? I am not using ##TRACE.  I think what is happening is that the .lst file is not being created correctly for this program.  I tested with a small program, and it worked perfectly (with the .lst file being populated by the listing and with Altirra showing me the source window).  But with my longer program, the .lst file is only one line long, and just has "mads (generated by atasm)" on the first line, but no other lines.    This is my command line:

atasm.exe -ocent36.xex -lcent36.lab -gcent36.lst "cent36.asc"

I am executing the command line in the correct folder, which is: F:\Atari\ATasm, and all the source files are in that folder, and all the created files are also in that folder.  I put the breakpoint at line 221 in the WUDSN IDE editor.

And this is the .atdbg file:

.sourcemode on
.echo
.echo "Loading executable..."
.echo
bc *
.onexerun .echo "Launching executable..."
bp "`F:\Atari\ATasm\CENT36.ASC:221`"

Altirra ignores the breakpoint.  I have to press F8 in Altirra.  I see the disassembly window with the correct labels, but no source listing window. The Altirra console says that it loaded the .lab file, the .lst file and the .atdbg file.  It then says (among other things),  Deferred breakpoint 0 set at F:\Atari\ATasm\CENT36.ASC:221.

My program has .INCLUDE's in it.  Could that be a problem?

Ok I figured it out for you.

I modified the parameters for atasm like this:

-s -o${outputFilePath} -l${outputFilePathWithoutExtension}.lab -g${outputFilePathWithoutExtension}.lst ${sourceFilePath}

And setup Altirra to launch with the following parameters:

${runnerExecutablePath} /singleinstance /run ${outputFilePath} /debug /debugcmd:.loadsym

The /debug and /debugcmd:.loadsym parameters get Altirra into debug mode.

I'm still only hitting the second break point.

I also changed the source to move some code into a second file that is included and it works fine.

Below is a picture of the settings.  If you can't come right PM me and I'm more than happy to help you fix this

image.thumb.png.c8444d1f3920d2a4366473f0797c47e0.png

• Like 1

7 hours ago, kenames99 said:

hi RetroCoder,

nice work. but I have a request for atasm, could you fix it/feature update it to print assemble labels, like "BOOT_THIS" or "loop" from your first post in this topic. it currently only outputs labels if an opcode is present on the same line. thanks.

Ken

I've published version 1.12 of atasm at https://github.com/CycoPH/atasm

When specifying the -g option it will now output the last label defined for a memory location on the line of the operand.

I've added another requested feature to Atasm V1.13 (and to the atasm-altirra-bridge vscode plugin)

You can now use the -hc and -ha switches to generate CC65 header and atasm include files for your project.

This should make it easy to write some asm code and integrate it with CC65 or link it as an object in other assembler projects.

https://github.com/CycoPH/atasm

https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=cerebus.atasm-altirra-bridge

• Like 1