IGNORED

Mega ste not seeing US with HD connected

Hello, running into a problem with trying to copy partitions over from a hard drive onto an SD card in a US.  I was able to finally get the US to work with the new card as target 1 (partitions I-O) and the old card as target 0 (partitions C-H), but when I put the HD in and pull out the old card, or even with the old card in, I get nothing on the cards, just the HD and its partitions (it's a 120 meg drive). Any suggestions on what is going on or how to get the US to play with the HD on?  Would like to copy the HD partitions to the new card.  Thanks

12 hours ago, ParanoidLittleMan said:

Classic case of target number conflict. Internal is certainly set as 0, so US must be set to different 2 numbers - like 1 and 2.

Btw. internal can be set too, with that 3-ple DIP switch on internal ACSI-SCSI board.

Of course, will need to detach internal so SW for US setting work.

Thanks Peter, so what I need to do is to set the US to 1 and 2, correct?  When the system spins up, the initializing screen shows 0-Maxtor ###, 1-Jookie UltraSatan, and 3-not responding.  I have the switch on the back of the US switched down, if I switch it up I get nothing as I believe that the US is now target 0 and is conflicting with the Maxtor HD, do you have any further ideas on how I should set this up to allow me to write to the US the partitions from the Maxtor?

1 hour ago, Randy said:

Thanks Peter, so what I need to do is to set the US to 1 and 2, correct?  When the system spins up, the initializing screen shows 0-Maxtor ###, 1-Jookie UltraSatan, and 3-not responding.  I have the switch on the back of the US switched down, if I switch it up I get nothing as I believe that the US is now target 0 and is conflicting with the Maxtor HD, do you have any further ideas on how I should set this up to allow me to write to the US the partitions from the Maxtor?

Well, assuming your UltraSatan is one of the newer ones, the reason you "don't get anything" if it's switched up is because.... that's the power switch.  ;)

Pretty sure the only way to switch the US like he's talking about is a firmware setting program, right?  (I never took mine apart but I don't recall seeing a settings switch on the picture of the US board I saw.

It's probably easier, if you can lift up the HD cage on the MSTE to just flip that switch... Though which one you REALLY want to change I think depends on whether you plan to use the HD primarily and then just use the US as external storage.  If you're just using the HD to copy stuff over and then disconnect it, you probably want to switch the hard drive controller to something else and leave the US settings alone... (or the other way around if you plan to use the HD as the main boot media).

I recently got the US for my Mega STE BBS machine and since I plan to boot from the US, I left that alone and set the internal controller switches all the other way for when I needed to copy the drive to the card and then pulled the drive from the system.

For what it's worth, I also went with EmuTos which worked nicely.  I was able to make 2gb FAT16 partitions that I could just pop into the SD card reader on my PC and copy files over without worrying about byte swapping, tos/win partitions or any of that.

/s

Thanks Tillek, not sure what to look for on the internal SCSI controller (?) in the Mega STe but I will take a look.  Primarily I want to copy the contents of the Maxtor onto an SD card and archive it as well as have the opportunity to boot my main Mega STe into either that drive (I-N) or my current SD card setup (C-H), leaving the Maxtor in place and running that for fun, although that 120 meg drive, with its 5 partitions is already full in every partition!  And in fact, has a lot of zip and LZH files on it that cannot be de-packed on that drive, there isn't any room.  There is quite a lot of cool stuff on it includes numerous online magazines that I want to read and save and I can also learn a lot from the setup on that Maxtor about setting up my main Mega STe.  I also have a TT that I need to get the sound fixed on and I also want to archive it's contents too to be able to use or keep around.  Does any of this make sense?  Thanks!

16 minutes ago, snarkdluG said:

The first number can be 1, next 2 and the third on is 4. It is bit. Always doubles with the next number. So if all is on you just add all: 1+2+4=ID is 7. If bit 1 and 3 is on you got 5 as ID. 

Thanks, snark, so right now the target ID is 7 on both SCSI controllers, correct?  So I should not have any problems with using 0, 1, or 2 for the ID for the US, right?  If that is the case, I wonder why the startup screen is showing 0:Maxtor, 1: Jookie UltraSatan, and 2: not responding? 

1 hour ago, Randy said:

BTW, the red switch on the SCSI controller in both of my Mega STe's is set for "1,2,3" in "ON" position, if that helps.  Thanks

Yep... that's the one!  In my case I flipped 1 and 2 to off and 3 is on.  My US is just as I got it from TBA so no changes there. 

The only other issue I had was a defective external cable, but I used the one from my CosmosEx and it's all good.

OK guys, so to understand, the SCSI controller is set right now at 7, correct?  I just checked my drive and it is set at 0, and of course the US is set at 0 and 1, correct so far?  So, do I change the settings on the Maxtor to, say 2, and go from there?  Or do I want to change the settings on the red switch on the internal SCSI drive to, say 2?  Thanks, I feel progress is coming!

Alright, now this is just turning into major frustration.  Couldn't format/partition a new card at all, but the ID: 1 card was still formatted and partitioned, so on to that card, it comes up with the proper drives (I-O) with the US ONLY and the ID: 0 card (the card I use in my main MegaSTe) in the first slot on the US.  Changing the SCSI on the Maxtor at the drive to 2, it's not even recognized with any cards in the US.  Changed back and moved the red switches around to various combinations and the Maxtor comes up with a space of 41 bytes (or something like that) so not recognized for all purposes, can access any of the partitions.  Man, what kind of fubar is this?

OK, tried using the US config program to change the IDs of the US changed to 1 and 2, but still no go with the SD cards, the Maxtor comes up fine.  At this point it would seem as though the drive may be installing some programs from auto that are interfering and not allowing communication with the US, I can pull up only 1 icon for each SD card, but no communication or otherwise with the SD cards in either slot.  Also, I note that on boot, the screen does show the Maxtor ID:0, Jookie US ID1: and Jookie ID2:, but no indication of partitions of any SD cards, which is not how the screen looks when booting up with the US only.  Totally flummoxed here, what a bite in the ass!

Patience, pls. Since internal drive is 0, it autoboots from it. But that driver most likely just can not handle partitions on US.

And TOS 2.06 prevents additional autoboots from other hard disks (with good reason). So, you need to run UltraSatan driver manually.

And depending on driver, that can be not so simple too. Hddriver tends to kill driver already active - so you may loose internal drive.

Pls. write here which driver is on internal drive, and what is installed on first card of US .

9 hours ago, ParanoidLittleMan said:

Patience, pls. Since internal drive is 0, it autoboots from it. But that driver most likely just can not handle partitions on US.

And TOS 2.06 prevents additional autoboots from other hard disks (with good reason). So, you need to run UltraSatan driver manually.

And depending on driver, that can be not so simple too. Hddriver tends to kill driver already active - so you may loose internal drive.

Pls. write here which driver is on internal drive, and what is installed on first card of US .

OK, on the US is your partionware and drivers, Peter, on the HD it is ADH v5.00, I am including some pics of the startup.

It may be the only way to do this is to do a Diamond backup of each partition and then put them on each of the US partitions...

IMG_6482.jpg

IMG_6483.jpg

IMG_6484.jpg

IMG_6485.jpg

IMG_6486.jpg

11 hours ago, ParanoidLittleMan said:

OK, on the US is your partionware and drivers, Peter, on the HD it is ADH v5.00, I am including some pics of the startup.

It may be the only way to do this is to do a Diamond backup of each partition and then put them on each of the US partitions...

So Peter, should I use an SD card partitioned but with no boots on those partitions?

You need to run direct runnable driver, what is part of US driver SW package: US10R.PRG - from floppy (simplest), or from C after it autoboots from internal drive (for that you need to copy it there from floppy). Then will have those partitions H-M (if G is last on internal) on UltraSatan and can copy complete content of internal drive to SD card.

12 minutes ago, ParanoidLittleMan said:

You need to run direct runnable driver, what is part of US driver SW package: US10R.PRG - from floppy (simplest), or from C after it autoboots from internal drive (for that you need to copy it there from floppy). Then will have those partitions H-M (if G is last on internal) on UltraSatan and can copy complete content of internal drive to SD card.

Just to understand, I can use the SD card I have already partitioned using your software, or do I need to re-partition the SD card after the auto-boot of the Maxtor?  Do I use the partitioned SD card in the US after the Maxtor auto-boots and do I NOT install the auto-boot program onto the SD card?  Thanks!

1 hour ago, ParanoidLittleMan said:

OK, it seems to be working now, let me copy the files and then boot from the new SD card and see if that works.  One of the main things is that I can boot from the SD card copy the Maxtor C drive, which is now the US SD J drive, will I need to install some kind of auto boot file on the J drive?  Thanks!

Alright, finally got all the partitions copied and now the main Mega STe is booting with the SD card perfectly.  Thanks so much for you help Peter, I could not have done this without your insight and help and patience.  Now, just need to make a copy of this card so I can re-arranged the files and have a cogent booting disk!

1 hour ago, DarkLord said:

Oh - you're seeing the 40 folder bug?

You can adjust that in your hard disk driver and/or put a patch program in the AUTO folder.

(if that's what it is)

I believe you are correct, in my normal boot disk, it has a folder100 file.  This particular boot disk doesn't, so I will need to add that to the auto folder, thanks!