Upgrade or not  

40 members have voted

1. 1. What should I do?

• Do Not Touch Her!
    • Upgrade!

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

5 minutes ago, Mazzspeed said:

Both the A8 and C64 are roughly as reliable as one another,

My brother has a friend who was part owner of a stereo store in the 80's that also sold computers, when they got a shipment of C64s they would set them up for an overnight burn-in test before putting them out for sale. IIRC the typical failure rate was ~50%, but there were times it was 80+%.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BillC said:

My brother has a friend who was part owner of a stereo store in the 80's that also sold computers, when they got a shipment of C64s they would set them up for an overnight burn-in test before putting them out for sale. IIRC the typical failure rate was ~50%, but there were times it was 80+%.

I'm sure that was the case with a number of electronic appliances in the 80's, especially when companies were in a race to the bottom, offering their product at rock bottom prices.

These days, I see no more reliability issues regarding either make and TBH I didn't see it in the day either - Especially a 50% (let alone 80%!) failure rate. I guess all those K-Mart stores burning in their pellets of C64's really paid off.

Edited by Mazzspeed

OK, this has gone way further than I expected ;)

I made my decision - no upgrade for this one. I'll take it apart, clean and put it back in a safe place. I have two "fully loaded" machines so I don't really need another one (thanks @Sugarland and @Tillek). I get all the points made here (ie. U1MB being pretty much non-intrusive, ways of adding Sophia without touching the shell etc.) but:

- I prefer VBXE. For a few reasons - one being DVI (ie. no audio plus super ugly connector that doesn't fit a machine from 80s. I know @flashjazzcat does great job fitting it but to me the connector just doesn't suit the machine. DIN13 on the other hand (again - thanks for inspiration @flashjazzcat) suits the machine perfectly. Plus - I'm old fashioned engineer so if I'm "adding" something or changing something - I always try to have some "added value" - and VBXE gives me crystal clear RGB output and great features (again - fjc's "The Last Word" is one of the examples). And - above all - it's just my personal preference. 

- U1MB - yes, I know it's easy, non-intrusive and the benefits (I'm pointing to fjc again ;)) are great. But you lose (or cut) shielding and you didn't see the shielding on that particular machine. I just want to keep it/have it installed. 

Anyway - I'm keeping it untouched "for future generations". I've modified/upgraded many, many (my wife would tell you "way too many" ;) ) of my "retro systems" but sometimes I just feel I need to keep something original. And it's the case with this particular machine. 

Thanks again.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

PS, does anyone have a wife / partner that does not accept the hobby, with me Cindy is fine about it all, I don't spend epic amounts but I do use a bit of space in the bedroom that some might thing intrusive but she's so laid back about it..

9 minutes ago, Mclaneinc said:

PS, does anyone have a wife / partner that does not accept the hobby, with me Cindy is fine about it all, I don't spend epic amounts but I do use a bit of space in the bedroom that some might thing intrusive but she's so laid back about it..

My Wife honestly doesn't have an opinion one way or another.

Sometimes she roll's her eyes and asks me "how many computers do I want?" But I think she knows that things haven't been the easiest for me, and just having this one hobby, a hobby that takes me back to a time where everything felt right is the one thing I really enjoy.

I used to stand in an electronics store and lust over the new TV's being released, I just had to have one. Today I stood in an electronics store and felt nothing, nothing in that entire store interested me at all. But sometimes I'll think of my 600XL, my C64, my Amiga 500 or my Amiga 1200 - I'll think of how I brought them back to life and applied modern upgrades that I would have killed for in the day, the way I enjoy learning everything I can about them, and that truly makes me feel good.

With the exception of soldering gear and workshop equipment, I don't spend a lot. This is my one vice, besides coffee, and I love it. Besides, I need the soldering gear and workshop equipment as part of my job - So that doesn't count. ;)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, flashjazzcat said:

If your partner has an issue with Ataris, it is definitely time to upgrade. Stock examples in that condition have a low resale value. :)

Compatibility might be an issue when it comes to these kinds of upgrades ;) 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Mclaneinc said:

PS, does anyone have a wife / partner that does not accept the hobby

Well, we should not wait and find out, either.... ??

Women (in general) get aroused when they see you working around the house, doing repair work, plumbing, lifting heavy stuff for them, etc.

They don't get too warm, however, when they see you burning hours while playing old-games in small, old computers, while you grow a belly. Definitely not the best way to remind them of your masculine side....

So bottom-line: unless you (you = us in general) are involved in some sort of larger, complex, productive project, it is a good advice to not overdo the retro-stuff, keep it well confined, and don't hoard junk.... Your sex life will likely improve... ?

11 minutes ago, damanloox said:

@Faicuai that shielding cuts for U1MB - really nice. How is U1MB mounted though (without drilling PCB)? Is it mounted on one post only?

Only one post, through existing PCB hole. Self-supported against nearby PCB chips, with x1 adhesive cushion-pad near Xilinx (underneath U1MB PCB). The pads I use are the same you would use to replace Joystick rubber-feet, for instance (sold by Best Electronics, MyAtari, etc.)

This is valuable because on my XLs, a simple battery replacement on the U1MB means an almost complete tear-down of the whole assembly (battery port is underneath the U1MB board), thus being able to attach/detach U1MB easily is always welcome.

20 minutes ago, suspicious_milk said:

Unless your going to encase it in amber resin, just upgrade it and have fun.   It's gonna go to shit sitting in a closet or on a bookshelf.  We're all gonna be dead soon; have fun now.

I'm having fun (as much as time allows). It's really exciting times for us Atari fans with all the new hardware coming out, great developer support (@flashjazzcat's firmware for u1mb, side2/3, his "the last word" and - hopefully finished one day - GOS). But for me part of the fun is "aesthetic" in the sense that I can have (and look at from time to time) a machine that is exactly the same as when I first got it as a kid. If it was the only machine I had - I'd certainly upgrade it. But I have more of them and can/will keep this particular one unaltered...

Edited by damanloox
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, suspicious_milk said:

Unless your going to encase it in amber resin, just upgrade it and have fun.   It's gonna go to shit sitting in a closet or on a bookshelf.  We're all gonna be dead soon; have fun now.

In case you missed it, the actual conversation is over...  he made his decision.  We're now in the "degenerating into random talk phase". ;)

We should list that out... "The Life Cycle of an AtariAge Thread".

1. Question Asked

2a. In a "how do I" style question, people argue about why someone would want to..... (depends on question details)

2b. In a "which is best" style question, what follows is a list of every possible combination, whether they meet the needs of the OP or not.

2c. In a "should I or shouldn't I" - 1/3 Yes, 1/3 No, 1/3 "Sell it to me instead!"

3. Argument 1

4a. Someone actually gives a thoughtful, well worded answer.

4b. But no one noticed amid the continued "other answers" and the ongoing argument.

5. Argument 2

6. Additional useless answers mixed in with repeats of the good answer.

7. Commodore bashing

8. Commodore basher bashing.

9. Acknowledgement of answer by OP

10. Degeneration into random talk. <- We are here.

11. Late to the party answers (this can be up to years later).

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

11 minutes ago, flashjazzcat said:

3a: photos of Faicuai's Incognito 800.

Pffft!

What for? Your YouTube all-over-the-place-sprinkling already eclipses any other photos, at a 10:1 ratio (!)

(but now that you mention it, and since there is not a single one here, I will bring my 800 Sophia install pics, and post some here... Sweet idea !!)

?

• Haha 2

I just thought it was interesting if anyone had an Anti Atari / Anti Retro partner because the OP mention his wife saying he had done too many machines. Its surprisingly for me near on topic..

Ok, the sex talk, not so much :)

Pristine machine intact and good to go...