IGNORED

Super Pro Boxing

This was the single least played game in my home growing up. (sports title)

I competed in a "championship" with about 20 people at the local video store way back when.  I got through a few "rounds".

I had never played it before...  But everyone with first pick, choose the same fighter.  So, I lucked out and got first pick a couple of times and picked the same fighter!

I later got the game, but could never find anyone to play against.  MLB, NFL and NBA was not a problem. But no one wanted to box!

So, color me intrigued!

Oh, just thinking... Could you add a menu to choose fighter "style" and then fighter "color"?  Then when we choose the same fighter - which we will, we can be different colors?

• Like 2

Is boxing the only sports title which does not have a one player mode?

Boxing is probably the first game I could think of that needs the ability to start the game off in a slow mode/speed. It makes it easier to see what throw the opponent will make so that you can counter it.

• Like 2

If both fighters were the same color, some punches would disappear as they got close to their target. That's probably why Mattel avoided it.

I'm supposing only certain colors are available for the boxers, but maybe using black for the computer boxer would work. The boxer could still be in color on the selection screen so the player knows what kind of opponent he's fighting, but then change to black for the match. The colored number above the ring would stay as an indicator.

choose-boxers.jpg.8f606011fd89d365e8d818082a54a323.jpg  black-boxer.jpg.2144d153da1354eadde7c5d97030a30c.jpg

Will the number of rounds be changed from 15 to 12, as professional boxing began doing in 1982?

And while we're at it, the selection screen should probably be updated to say "Choose Boxers" instead of "Choose Men."

A one-player boxing game would be great.

Edited by mthompson

5 hours ago, mthompson said:

If both fighters were the same color, some punches would disappear as they got close to their target. That's probably why Mattel avoided it.

I'm supposing only certain colors are available for the boxers, but maybe using black for the computer boxer would work. The boxer could still be in color on the selection screen so the player knows what kind of opponent he's fighting, but then change to black for the match. The colored number above the ring would stay as an indicator.

choose-boxers.jpg.8f606011fd89d365e8d818082a54a323.jpg  black-boxer.jpg.2144d153da1354eadde7c5d97030a30c.jpg

Will the number of rounds be changed from 15 to 12, as professional boxing began doing in 1982?

And while we're at it, the selection screen should probably be updated to say "Choose Boxers" instead of "Choose Men."

A one-player boxing game would be great.

Or maybe chose between 1-99 rounds.  (Or maybe 110 since that was the most every played in real life)  

• Like 1

On 5/16/2021 at 6:09 PM, mthompson said:

Great suggestions. Thanks. Here is a WIP video.

• Like 4

Awesome. I never understood the need for that limitation of the colors.  I understand it being an issue autoracing.

I always loved Boxing, but couldn't understand the visual of that left?  glove with the hole in it, messing up the look of the fighter's heads.

The fighter always reminded me of the elephant man , which probably came out in theaters around the same time.

I was very confused when christmas 81 came, and the catalog in my sea battle had a better  looking boxing "coming soon"... although years later, i realized its an artists rendering, it actually seems possible for this to be created, but this always bugged me... along with the original look of dungeons and dragons

image.thumb.png.da76ee157400fc0065bf1d55fd1f517e.png

1 hour ago, 1980gamer said:

That was a reenactment of an early Mike Tyson fight!

Looks like fun!

All the levels you wanted were in there. Super Pro level will not be in there for you to win.

As I was playing the game, I was laughing the entire time. It was fun to play boxing again....one player this time.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, masseo1 said:

I always loved Boxing, but couldn't understand the visual of that left?  glove with the hole in it, messing up the look of the fighter's heads.

The fighter always reminded me of the elephant man , which probably came out in theaters around the same time.

YES!  As a kid, I had the same issues visualizing what that picture in the catalog was supposed to represent!  I thought the hole in the glove was an eye!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Rick Reynolds said:

YES!  As a kid, I had the same issues visualizing what that picture in the catalog was supposed to represent!  I thought the hole in the glove was an eye!

Ah, probably the best description of what I think we see. You can never unsee two eyes on the boxers. 

I have to mess around with a mock-up i, I want to see if the boxers looks any better to me with different color gloves thanthe body.

I realize The old boxing "coming soon" was better represented in Super Pro Wrestling., Maybe there can be a de-make of "Wrestling" from Boxing, with these "extra large guys with funny eyes"

Still looking forward to a one player version of Boxing. It would be nice to not have the limitation on not being able to move and punch.... like make the action buttons punch in sequence .... left,right?   if not , We should be able to use one controller to move, and the other to punch. I've lost plenty of matches while pressing the disc and buttons... never knowing why things weren't working on the screen.