IGNORED

Assembler wanted!

Hi!  I'm new to the TI 99/4A computer and want to dive in and program this computer.  Unfortunately, my options are limited.  No good C compiler.  :(  I am looking for an assembler for this computer.  I prefer cross-platform but will take hosted.  I want macros.  I prefer overlay support.  Any ideas?  Thank you for listening.

3 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

I prefer overlay support.

I am pretty sure none of the assemblers listed in the TI-99/4A development resources (alluded to above) provides explicit overlay support. That is something you will need to build into your programs yourself. Once you have an idea what it is you want to do with overlays and how you might want to load and track them, there will be no shortage of ideas from fellow programmers on this forum, I am sure.

...lee

• Like 3

Pretty much the only TI software I can think of that came with extensive Overlay Support was UCSD Pascal. There are several folks on the forum with extensive experience using UCSD Pascal too. It does require the UCSD p-System V4.0 card for the PEB and runs better with at least two disk drives (easy enough to set up if you are using an emulator).

Note this is NOT the TurboPASC99 program also available for the TI, which has very minimal overlay support. It is an incomplete subset of early Turbo Pascal, capable in its own right once you come to terms with its limitations.

For anything else, your only option is to extend the existing tools by rolling your own procedures and adding them to the toolboxes that programmers following you can use. This is why @retrocloudswrote his Spectra routines and the tools that followed them, Why @senior_falcon wrote his XB256, BASIC Compiler, and The Missing Link routines, and why @Asmusr continued to expand on the Magellan routines started by @The Codex. When the tools you want don't exist yet, the only options available to you are to write your own. BTW, that is how we got the "C" compiler we do have, as it filled a programming need and was helped along and extended by many folks when they needed functions that weren't available yet. If you need better tools, build them--or live within the limitations of what is already out there. The programmers here generally build or extend tools in support of their own projects and release the results to the community. What they don't do is take a lot of their precious hobby time to support projects they aren't invested in for their own satisfaction or projects. They do help when others get stuck and those others post the code that is causing problems. Sometimes they can lead the programmer to a solution to the problem, sometimes it is something they've seen before and can easily resolve, and sometimes all they can do is tell the programmer that the problem is interesting and to press on, with little bits of assistive kibitzing on the side.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, TheBF said:

@Asmusr Did you author the Overlay programming document? I really like it.

It is inspiring me to get back to work on my semi-successful attempt to do overlays in Forth. :) 

No, it's ALNKDOC3 from AMSLINK.dsk.

• Like 3