IGNORED

Zombies Ate My Neighbors

MrBeefy

Well this will probably be the second purchase my mother makes on her Switch. We played this as a family a lot.

Thankfully they added save states and seems like it is only going to cost $15.

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/zombies-ate-my-neighbors-and-ghoul-patrol-switch/

Excited.

Edited by MrBeefy
  • Like 2

Mixed feelings here...

:thumbsup:

I really do love this game, if there's nothing seriously wrong with this release I'll probably cave and play it more than enough to get my $15 worth out of it. It's a LONG game and the convenience of being able to start and stop at any time on a handheld should be nice. Also, Ghoul Patrol is included, but it's not great, I tried to like it but no...

:thumbsdown:

$15 is pretty steep imo, especially when you compare to the Sega Ages games or Blizzard Arcade which add tons of new stuff to the games. There have been rom hacks of ZAMN that add in the ability to cycle backwards through weapons and items, which to me is a really almost-necessary improvement that should have been in the original game. Using the extra resolution to put the radar off to the side of the viewing area would have been nice too. I think the game deserves a kind of upgraded re-release and this doesn't look like this will be it. Missed opportunity.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Daj said:

Mixed feelings here...

:thumbsup:

I really do love this game, if there's nothing seriously wrong with this release I'll probably cave and play it more than enough to get my $15 worth out of it. It's a LONG game and the convenience of being able to start and stop at any time on a handheld should be nice. Also, Ghoul Patrol is included, but it's not great, I tried to like it but no...

:thumbsdown:

$15 is pretty steep imo, especially when you compare to the Sega Ages games or Blizzard Arcade which add tons of new stuff to the games. There have been rom hacks of ZAMN that add in the ability to cycle backwards through weapons and items, which to me is a really almost-necessary improvement that should have been in the original game. Using the extra resolution to put the radar off to the side of the viewing area would have been nice too. I think the game deserves a kind of upgraded re-release and this doesn't look like this will be it. Missed opportunity.

Yeah Ghoul Patrol is not as good. I agree it's on the higher side, but I'm glad it isn't anymore than $15. I would have been cool to have some of those things implemented.

Not needing passwords will be great. Always sucked having to cut the game short then lose items from password.

• Like 3

I'm interested, but only enough to wait for it to drop on GoG, and then hit some kind of a price cut.  I know I'd have fun, but the price as it stands on Switch or at all, it steeper than I think is right given what they've done with the pair, and the second one isn't all that awesome either compared at least.  As such I have it wishlisted, and will wait for it to hit probably $10 or 1/2 off (7.50) probably by the end of the year with the christmas sale.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

I'm interested, but only enough to wait for it to drop on GoG, and then hit some kind of a price cut.  I know I'd have fun, but the price as it stands on Switch or at all, it steeper than I think is right given what they've done with the pair, and the second one isn't all that awesome either compared at least.  As such I have it wishlisted, and will wait for it to hit probably $10 or 1/2 off (7.50) probably by the end of the year with the christmas sale.

Yeah it would be an easy purchase at that price. I can see why $15 is less than ideal.

• Like 1

Okay so I didn't realize there'd be this much push back against it.

Honestly? I liked the $15 price cause it's a lot cheaper than most "ported/remake" games get. This is cheaper and easier than getting the actual physical games on their original consoles as well. 

I mean... If you are going to wait for a weird digital version of this otherwise, you might as well just emulate it and not bother purchasing it. 

Well my figuring on it would be at least with GoG, they aren't DRM nazis so anything they get released is required to have a stand alone offline installer file, so you could in theory make it a physical copy.  But yeah I agree, just use an SD2SNES if you want or an emulator too for free.

• Like 1

My mom will want it at the $15. And honestly, it will be us kids that buy it for her. I personally think it is at the sweet spot but could go either way.

If this wasn't such a family favorite I would probably wishlist it and wait for it to go on sale.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Always loved this game back in the day...one of those games that feels like an awesome rental, except we never had to return it!

Ended up losing it at some point, I suspect it was stolen >=(

(but I have a Wii and EverDrives at this point, so...)

Never played Ghoul Patrol much, but it sounds like there might be a reason for that.

On 5/17/2021 at 1:22 PM, Daj said:

There have been rom hacks of ZAMN that add in the ability to cycle backwards through weapons and items, which to me is a really almost-necessary improvement that should have been in the original game. Using the extra resolution to put the radar off to the side of the viewing area would have been nice too.

Yeah, some kind of Genesis/SNES hybrid would've been nice...heck, just the option to choose which console version you want to play seems like a no-brainer. I don't know why Disney keeps sticking to a "one or the other" mentality (I mean besides Aladdin, which obviously, Capcom would've been a totally different license...although they did re-release a bunch of other Capcom games...hmm...).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Daj said:

It's here!

I'm holding off for now, but if anybody grabs it, I'd appreciate any impressions.

Thanks for posting and reminding me of this! I'm purchasing this for my mom. It was one of the SNES games she liked to play with us kids.

16 hours ago, Asaki said:

Always loved this game back in the day...one of those games that feels like an awesome rental, except we never had to return it!

Ended up losing it at some point, I suspect it was stolen >=(

(but I have a Wii and EverDrives at this point, so...)

Never played Ghoul Patrol much, but it sounds like there might be a reason for that.

Yeah, some kind of Genesis/SNES hybrid would've been nice...heck, just the option to choose which console version you want to play seems like a no-brainer. I don't know why Disney keeps sticking to a "one or the other" mentality (I mean besides Aladdin, which obviously, Capcom would've been a totally different license...although they did re-release a bunch of other Capcom games...hmm...).

derailing slightly, I would've liked the 'Disney Afternoon' collection released on the Switch.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, MrBeefy said:

Maybe it will make it?

Dunno, I just don't have much hope but it'd sure be cool.  The NES-era Disney games seem like a slam dunk for the Switch.

Still salty about the Final Fantasy Pixel Perfect titles not hitting consoles either (of any sort).  It's like they don't like money or something, lol.

5 hours ago, digdugnate said:

Dunno, I just don't have much hope but it'd sure be cool.  The NES-era Disney games seem like a slam dunk for the Switch.

Still salty about the Final Fantasy Pixel Perfect titles not hitting consoles either (of any sort).  It's like they don't like money or something, lol.

Maybe your money is no good?

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, digdugnate said:

I'm salty about both.  The Disney one though especially, that was a disgusting kick in the teeth combo cockpunching on that one.  I mean seriously, every single game is a Nintendo game, a NES game.  It came out on every competitors hardware at the time from consoles to handhelds to PC.  Just never on the 3DS or the WiiU and yet not on Switch so far either.  Why NOT?!  There's zero limitation there, clearly using the engine that drives that NES Megaman Legacy #1 package.  Out of sheer spite I've not bought the package on Steam because of that alone, the snub.  Some could say I'm just hurting myself, but I own both Duck Tales and Darkwing Duck along with the first Chip n Dale too.  Tale Spin sucks and I never could get into RR2 playing a rom of it in the past which is why I never paid up for it.  I wanted to show support, maybe enjoy the added fun filler, but no....

The FF one, it's too early and Square-Enix is weird.  If it doesn't like happen a year after release, trying to cover some timed exclusivity or whatever, then sure, get annoyed legitimately more then.

• Like 2

On 7/1/2021 at 8:11 AM, thegamezmaster said:

Just wondering, anyone have these and how are the games? Reviews or thoughts on this? Thanks!

According to Nintendo Life's review, it's alright, but the buttons are swapped the wrong way, there are no fancy options, the mandatory border is annoying, and the ROM itself goes straight into the game, no title screen or character select, so you can't even put in a password without getting a Game Over first.

https://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/switch-eshop/zombies_ate_my_neighbors_and_ghoul_patrol

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Asaki said:

According to Nintendo Life's review, it's alright, but the buttons are swapped the wrong way, there are no fancy options, the mandatory border is annoying, and the ROM itself goes straight into the game, no title screen or character select, so you can't even put in a password without getting a Game Over first.

https://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/switch-eshop/zombies_ate_my_neighbors_and_ghoul_patrol

That is weird!