IGNORED

SiDE3 / SDrive-Max loading?

nadir

Looking at possibly purchasing one or both, but one thing I'm not finding in all my googling is how software is loaded onto either device?  Both use SD cards, do I need an SD card writer on my PC?  Or, can I load them with applications directly via USB from the PC?

3 hours ago, bfollowell said:

You would need a card reader/writer capable of accessing microSD cards on your modern computer.

Well, not technically.

You COULD actually use something like an SIO2PC and copy the files that way.  You could also download them from BBSs or use a null modem with a PC that has a serial port.

But in all seriousness, spending $5-10 on an SD card reader (which you'd want for the SIDE 3 and most micro SD cards I buy come with a micro => SD adapter anyway) is by far the easiest way.

Just out of curiosity - why would you choose and SDrive-Max over a FujiNet?  As far as I know, the latter can do everything the former can (and more!), is cheaper, and has an ever-expanding feature set thanks to a certain rabid coder.  (Looking at you Thom ;-) )

38 minutes ago, Calibus said:

Just out of curiosity - why would you choose and SDrive-Max over a FujiNet?  As far as I know, the latter can do everything the former can (and more!), is cheaper, and has an ever-expanding feature set thanks to a certain rabid coder.  (Looking at you Thom ;-) )

I can definitely understand that sentiment when comparing the FujiNet to any of the other SD-based floppy emulators. When it comes to SIO2SD or SDrive-Max, there's just no comparison to the FujiNet and it obsoletes them both, as well as any others I may be forgetting. Now, if you like running cartridges and cartridge images, there could still be use for either an AVG Cart or a SIDE3, but when it comes to floppy/cassette emulation, you really want a FujiNet, not an SDrive-Max.

Edited by bfollowell

1 hour ago, Calibus said:

I went to order a FujiNet the other day and found that they are not currently available, so figured I'd grab something else for now until they become available again.