IGNORED

HSC18 Round 9: POPEYE

Popeye

Arcade version if you can or otherwise original version. The Arcade version is slightly easier as you can more reliably punch the bottles. Also has the round counter fixed to show two digits. Everyone welcome to play.

Round ends EXTENDING this round until TUESDAY 1st June 4PM UK time.

popeye_arcade.png.0b76fc1794ed3c1ad2035246ed0c3379.png

http://a8.fandal.cz/detail.php?files_id=7218

http://a8.fandal.cz/detail.php?files_id=2652

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-400-800-xl-xe-popeye_6768.html

Edited by therealbountybob
EXTENDING this round until TUESDAY 1st June 4PM UK time.
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, graywest said:

Popeye Arcade: 115,020 (Round 9)

SO much easier to punch the bottles in this version! They were the bane of my existence when I was a kid...

I like the original version, the skill was to avoid having to punch the bottles and it plays nicely. The new version is nice too so it's a win win ;-)

Thinking caps on for round 10 - new players chime in with some suggestions - could have a 3 week theme round perhaps :ponder:

• Like 4

Haven’t played this version in a while- those bottles take some getting used to, and when you’re on a roll, one manages to sneak in. Tonight I had a little Popeye triple pack: started with this, went over to 2600 (egads), then a palate cleanser with my fav version NES, which we’re actually playing as a season long game in the HSC over there. I like the Colecovision version too (especially with a Genesis controller haha), but one version that I can not get behind is the Intellivision port. I’ve only ever emulated it, but nope, no thank you. 

I’ll have to boot up the arcade version and see how I fare. 

24,280 Round 2 

661D7CD5-085E-443D-A464-37FAF77BCC25.thumb.jpeg.f49c3d364a094896b22d5fd8451bf436.jpeg

• Like 5

Popeye Arcade- 113,490 (Round 11)

I had always thought the punching had issues in the original.   First time playing the arcade version and definitely the punch is much better though still find myself trying to avoid punching altogether still.

20210517_221944.jpg

Edited by AtariSphinx
Added round number.
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, AtariSphinx said:

Popeye Arcade- 113,490 (Round 11)

I had always thought the punching had issues in the original.   First time playing the arcade version and definitely the punch is much better though still find myself trying to avoid punching altogether still.

Yeah, I'm sort of curious to know exactly what the new programmer changed that fixed the punching issue. Was it just the size/shape of the Popeye sprite? His forearm is much bigger in this arcade version, but I don't know... Was it the timing of the collision detection between Popeye and the bottle? A change to the hit detection area?

I haven't played the original in awhile, and I never went frame-by-frame, but it seems that you would often punch a bottle successfully but there was only a frame or two when a hit would register. Outside of that brief window, Popeye would die.

• Like 1

And a new PB:  234,800!  Round 18!  Once you get past level 6, it doesn't appear to get any harder.  I'm assuming that the score would roll over at 1,000,000 (and I'm thinking we're gonna find out for sure before this round is over.)

Popeye 234800.png

Edited by Deteacher
  • Like 4