IGNORED

HSC18 Round 9: POPEYE

Had a loading glitch with Popeye arcade using my ultimate cart on my xegs, but a thread on aa had a workaround! Anyway, it must be much easier bc I did a much better job. Good thing too, bc the hearts level is so slow (compared to the nes version for sure) that I find myself going after cans not just for points but to spice things up haha. 

Arcade: 63,700 Round 5

28C806C4-8CB0-4720-B1A0-99CD3D27D4F3.thumb.jpeg.a0e3fc82dcc6cea52b62707ccbb71697.jpeg

• Like 3

5 hours ago, fakecortex said:

Had a loading glitch with Popeye arcade using my ultimate cart on my xegs, but a thread on aa had a workaround! Anyway, it must be much easier bc I did a much better job. Good thing too, bc the hearts level is so slow (compared to the nes version for sure) that I find myself going after cans not just for points but to spice things up haha. 

Arcade: 63,700 Round 5

28C806C4-8CB0-4720-B1A0-99CD3D27D4F3.thumb.jpeg.a0e3fc82dcc6cea52b62707ccbb71697.jpeg

Yes, this version is easier because the punching is fixed.  But once you figure out the Brutus AI, it's really about following a movement pattern that makes him a non-threat.  Also, there are certain levels on each screen where the sea hag won't appear.  So, combine the two and you can clear the levels relatively easy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Deteacher said:

And a new PB:  234,800!  Round 18!  Once you get past level 6, it doesn't appear to get any harder.  I'm assuming that the score would roll over at 1,000,000 (and I'm thinking we're gonna find out for sure before this round is over.)

Popeye 234800.png

Great score P :thumbsup: Are you doing much punching or just playing the regular avoid way like on the original version? If you get bored take a bash at the original version I think I might have the HSC record possibly...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, therealbountybob said:

Great score P :thumbsup: Are you doing much punching or just playing the regular avoid way like on the original version? If you get bored take a bash at the original version I think I might have the HSC record possibly...

Pretty much just playing normally.  The ship level is where I can really maximize points because I can pretty much stay on the top level, only dropping down to get the spinach to knock out Brutus.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Deteacher said:

Pretty much just playing normally.  The ship level is where I can really maximize points because I can pretty much stay on the top level, only dropping down to get the spinach to knock out Brutus.

Oh wait, you can knock out Brutus? Damn, I need to read the instructions on these games. I did wonder what those things were!

• Haha 2

314,900.  I forget the round number, but it was in the 20's.  I've pretty much figured out a strategy on all 3 boards.  The only time I lose a life now is on the ship level, when the bird throws off my pattern.  Otherwise, I think I can grind out some rollage on this one.

Popeye 314900.png

• Like 3

So, I played a quick game on the original release and scored 223,190!  Made it to round 18. 

The enemy AI looks like it was untouched in the arcade remake.  Maybe Brutus throws bottles a little more often in the original, but I couldn't really tell for sure.  All the strategies I use in the Arcade version can be employed in the original.  Each death was the result of the bad bottle punching, resulting in the lower score.

Regular 223190.png

• Like 5

Holy Spinach Cans guys :o :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I've not been able to play this week but will get busy with the tin opener on Monday.

Mere mortal players don't be put off posting by these mega scores.

POPEYE ARCADE

1st Deteacher     590,360 (43)   12pts

2nd AtariSphinx     389,280 (34)     11pts

3rd Deteacher       223,190 (18)      *

4th McKong           143,310             10pts

5th graywest         115,020 (9)        9pts

6th tompateus       103,840             8pts*

7th MrTrust             77,560              7pts

8th fakecortex        63,700 (5)         6pts

9th roadrunner        37,870              5pts*

10th jblenkle           19,960              4pts

11th redthunder      13,730              3pts

*Original version just for fun or if you can't play the Arcade version

New poll tomorrow when I've thought up something interesting :idea:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, therealbountybob said:

Holy Spinach Cans guys :o :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I've not been able to play this week but will get busy with the tin opener on Monday.

Mere mortal players don't be put off posting by these mega scores.

POPEYE ARCADE

I'm on the original version.. could'nt make the arcade work..?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, carlsson said:

I'm not sure if this really is my cup of tea (and I didn't vote for it anyway). I'll probably play it again and improve my score a bit but doubt I'll get much higher on the list.

Popeye Arcade - 11000 pts

In and out on that first screen C, avoid punching save the Spinach until you get in trouble with notes on the ground.

Popeye.jpg.1d51f91c71ab39eb16d2539e85d8284c.jpg

64,970 (6)

• Like 2

71,230 (7)

113,900 (11)

Never mastered the ship screen and usually lose all my lives there, not quite so sure on the new version on punchin' crows in the face :ponder:

On 5/24/2021 at 4:25 PM, therealbountybob said:

OK folks here we go with some extra action in Round 10 - It's a mutli-pick poll so select as many of the options you like before clicking to vote. Suggestions welcome for suitable games:

>>>ROUND 10 POLL<<<

• Like 1