IGNORED

Library Program wanted

atrax27407

It looks like Gary may be lost somewhere in the ether, as he hasn't signed on since the end of August. His website has been dead since late last year, but the files are recoverable on the Wayback Machine (use 2018 and 2019 pulls). Here is the DISKODEX manual, but I don't have a copy of the program handy. . .

He's definitely still alive, but apparently in a place where electronic communications are not possible (Name + Nintendo will be very enlightening there). No idea how that will turn out--but for now, he is definitely out of pocket.

DISKODEX.pdf

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Ksarul said:

He's definitely still alive, but apparently in a place where electronic communications are not possible (Name + Nintendo will be very enlightening there). No idea how that will turn out--but for now, he is definitely out of pocket.

I just read an article.  Very likely we will not see him around on this forum again.  Bright mind but directed his energies along a poor path choice.

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, jrhodes said:

I'm honestly surprised Nintendo has not tried to squash the Tilda project yet.

image.png.35081d899260f9aa54e889a68dc0a171.png

NOBODY expects the TI-99 Copyright Violation!
Our chief weapon is obscurity!...
obscurity and irrelevance...
irrelevance and obscurity...  
Our two weapons are obscurity and irrelevance... and ruthless efficiency!
Our three weapons are obscurity, and irrelevance, and ruthless efficiency...
and an almost fanatical devotion to a 40 year old computer...
Our four...
no...
Amongst our weapons...
Amongst our weaponry are such elements as obscurity, irrelevance...  

I'll come in again.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

I have been playing around with DISKODEX for a couple of days and found it to be a very good program. I have adopted the following procedure: 

1) Use a large RAMdisk to save the disk catalogs to ( I can go through about 100 disks in 45 minutes or so). Saving them to a RAMdisk is very fast.

2) Once I am through with the catalog (I am going by "disk box"), I use ARCHIVER to compress the two files DISKODEX creates.

3) Save the archived files back to a physical disk. The files are small enough that I calculate that I will be able to get about 10-12 of them on a DSDD disk.

So far, it has worked very well, indeed!

• Like 3

On 5/23/2021 at 3:30 PM, atrax27407 said:

I decided to catalog a couple of boxes of 5.25" disks (mostly old master copies). It only took about 1-1/2 hours. Added almost 175 disks to the total. Now up to 1184 disks and 19,307 files. That is every TI disk in the house!

just in time for #525FloppyDay

• Like 1

I didn't know there were such programs around. I wrote my own back in the 1980's. Same idea. But there were no RAMdisks around at that time, so I abandoned the project, as I thought processing time became too long when the number of disks included became large.

But apart from that, it was a similar idea as with Diskodex.

By saving the disk directory to a RAMdisk, you make the original process much faster. Then, by archiving the resultant indices, you save an incredible amount of space. I have my entire library on a single DSDD disk with 450 sectors to spare. When I want to search for a file, I simply un-archive the appropriate group of files (they are arranged by disk box #) to a RAMdisk and the search is lightning fast.