IGNORED

XL/XE vs. "Old Atari"

So since I've gotten back into this 8-bit stuff, I've been having some problems and needing some info.  I have ONLY my old 800 (and did have a 400 briefly) and I run into issues (in Altirra) with XL/XE compatibility.  I've never owned any of these newer machines.  So I'm getting problems on both from/to and vice versa.

As an example, I program everything like it's on the 800.  And I was getting some screen glitching on trapping reset with XE/XL only.   I worked on that for a good while, and finally discovered/read that those systems handle reset differently, and other programs all have the exact same issue.

So my question is, is there a document available somewhere to read that describes all these differences from a programmer's perspective?  My "Mapping the Atari" predates these machines. so doesn't even mention them.  Where's a good primer for me to read?  Anyone know of such a thing?

These links are great.  Thanks, everyone.

So a follow-up question I have is, does a warm start / system reset ALWAYS cause a brief screen glitch?  That is, do you know of any game or program that traps reset and restarts cleanly on XE/XL?  If so, please let me know, so I can try it out and see how it should be done.  I have a hunch that it always happens(??)

You NEED an Incognito in that 800.

Trust me.

Here is one place to get it from: https://thebrewingacademy.com/products/incognito-with-fjcs-firmware

There are more. I can't live without mine. This is the perfect upgrade for the 800.

I am waiting for a Rapidus / VBXE type 816 (w/ RAM) CPU card.

Many more cards possible. We have a PBI with 3 slots open. LOTS of possibilities.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kyle22 said:

Many more cards possible. We have a PBI with 3 slots open. LOTS of possibilities.

No doubt about it. The sky is the limit on the 800 architecture.

It is the ideal platform for growth, especially with today's electronics density and power consumption.

• Like 1