IGNORED

Black dust...

So when I did my recent upgrade I noticed that the underside of the Mega ST4's

RF shield had black dust on it. It was not there the last time I had it apart for

cleaning about 6 months ago.

It is on the part of the RF shield that sits directly over the P/S. The Mega seems

to be working fine and the fan is running so I'm not sure what to make of this.

I visually inspected the P/S and didn't see anything blown.

Should I be worried?  :)

P1010007.thumb.JPG.b9371590edc1e928858b778cab9ee6e1.JPG

Did it smell funny?  (Like electrical/coppery? or burnt?)  Not really sure how to describe it.  It bothers me a little that this machine has been in the same place and running 24/7 for how many years, and then 6 months ago you took it apart for cleaning.... but now it has it?

It could be (and probably is) the splattered remains of dust bunnies but you know me... Totally time for a backup.

2 hours ago, Tillek said:

Did it smell funny?  (Like electrical/coppery? or burnt?)  Not really sure how to describe it.  It bothers me a little that this machine has been in the same place and running 24/7 for how many years, and then 6 months ago you took it apart for cleaning.... but now it has it?

It could be (and probably is) the splattered remains of dust bunnies but you know me... Totally time for a backup.

No smell that I could detect. I actually stuck my nose to the RF shield as well as the P/S and fan.

See, you and I think alike. I clean it every 6 months and suddenly it's there. Not like it's something

you'd miss when you take it apart either.

Oh, I do monthly backups to CD. Regardless.  More if I do script (or any other) changes.  :)

ok, i don´t like to reach to conclusions when i haven´t seen the before, during and after.

also, i can detect minute alterations and sounds in the cars i drive that other people (and mechanics) can´t, which sometimes makes me feel paranoid.

that said, i don´t see why dust that was not there 6 months ago and is there now would be so abnormal. dust collects. that has as much to do with environmental factors as anything else. 

:)

Agreed, but it was "black dust". Not just dust...

And...it was in a specific place, directly over the P/S and fan,

nowhere else.

As far as cars go....are you one of those people who listen to their engine

block with a stethoscope?  :)

• Haha 1

no, but when i hear the same vrrrrrr everyday, for me it´s easy to spot a Vrrrnrrr

for someone else not used to listen to every heartbeat, it just sounds normal.  ;)

i gave my opinion based on experience. i can try to find and photograph similar spots of darkened dust. i could argue that the proximity to the fan (dust gatherer) and PSU (dust burner) still explains it :)

Actually, you're probably right... I was just concerned that since this machine runs a BBS 24/7/365 (ish :P ) and he's never seen anything like this it was probably just good to try to rule out magic smoke residue.

Though when it comes to the ST BBS community, I'm the one with the "terminal" bad luck.