IGNORED

Which version of TOS for falcon with ct60?

I'm going to be getting a falcon with a ct60 installed in it soon. I'm new to the TOS world, and am wondering what is the best version of TOS for it? Like the default TOS,emutos, mint, etc... I was hoping to replace the internal HD with an ide to sdcard adapter and just use an SD card so was hoping to be able to have larger partition sizes, but read that 1GB is most likely the largest partition I can do. Is that right?

Also looking at getting a netusbee for networking, would that matter with whatever version of TOS I go with? 

Any help or pointers to FAQs would be greatly appreciated.

I believe TOS v4.04 was the last/highest version for the Falcon.

That's what I have in mine. Hopefully, when you get yours it will

already be that.

Otherwise, I'd try to get it...

BTW - where did you find a Falcon with a CT60 these days?!  :)

20 hours ago, DarkLord said:

I believe TOS v4.04 was the last/highest version for the Falcon.

That's what I have in mine. Hopefully, when you get yours it will

already be that.

Otherwise, I'd try to get it...

BTW - where did you find a Falcon with a CT60 these days?!  :)

Well, another question would be... who would take the time and money to put a CT60 in a Falcon but not upgrade the TOS. ;)

19 hours ago, tbs123456 said:

My dad is giving me one to play with. He hasn't used it in years and figured it's better that I use it than to have it sitting around collecting dust.

You'd better get him something better than a tie for Father's Day.

4 hours ago, Tillek said:

Well, another question would be... who would take the time and money to put a CT60 in a Falcon but not upgrade the TOS. ;)

He hasn't used it since shortly after updating it with a ct60. So, there's been a lot of updates from what I've been reading.

Interesting, I have always had the impression that I'm uploading a ROM image to CT60 flash memory, certainly it was my shallowness which prevented me to realise the greater truth. ;)

If you boot into normal mode on the other hand, CT60 is not accessible therefore it is not really that important which TOS version you have in combination with CT60. But for general Falcon030 experience sure, it is nice to have 4.04. With CT60 on, FreeMiNT or MagiC are certainly gems to use, the speed and feel is incredible, using plain CT60 TOS is a waste! :)

It is normally called ROM content, or binary ROM content. Image file is just way of keeping it on storage, transfer it (via Internet for instance).

Those who created/coded it made ROM content and not image - you just so confusing terms.

What uses image is (Flash) EPROM programmer or it may be firmware writer. But saying that you upload image in something local - that's just another bad terminology.  You upload to Internet location. You write image to whatever Flash EPROM (not memory).

And programmers can instead image just copy content from another EPROM.

And please, before reply read little more about subject - on some  serious sites. Say it because there is so much shallowness on some self declared experts pages too.

Good terminology helps in understanding how it works. Bad terminology just makes opposite.

1 hour ago, mikro said:

If you boot into normal mode on the other hand, CT60 is not accessible therefore it is not really that important which TOS version you have in combination with CT60. But for general Falcon030 experience sure, it is nice to have 4.04. With CT60 on, FreeMiNT or MagiC are certainly gems to use, the speed and feel is incredible, using plain CT60 TOS is a waste! :)

Hey Mikro - how's it going?  :)

I was just making an observation because there are times (older, incompatible software, mostly games, demo's)

that I drop down to '030 mode.

CT60 anything is awesome. When I'm in '060 mode I feel like one of those characters from a Sci-Fi show (Star Trek,

Twilight Zone) where you're moving so fast that everyone else is standing still.    :)

My only regret about my setup is that I could never get it to 100mhz. It tops out stable at 95mhz.... /sigh...