IGNORED

DC Soul Calibur

Jasoco

DOA2 is good, especially playing tag mode with two players.

I think think Soul Caliber has superior graphics and gameplay.

SCis a must own for DC. I don't think $20 is too steep. It's probably the only used DC game I'd pay $20 for.

Sean

Who said Video Games had to be realistic? ;)

You realize in video games, the player can get hit by hundreds of bullets before he dies while one shot kills the enemy. If it were realistic, it would be too hard. Imagine DOOM if you died from one shot, or if you got shot on the leg you'd have to limp or if you lost both your legs you would lie on the ground until you bled to death or got eaten by an enemy. Hmm.. not too fun.

It's not that that realistic, but this kind of thinking is why I hate SOCOM. I can't believe it's the closest thing to a traiditonal FPS PS2 has to offer online.

And the no-respawn in deathmatch? Sure it's kind of "realistic" in terms of tactics you have to use, but it's not that realistic, since one of the whole points of being a SEAL is not to get involved with even match ups where everyone knows there's enemy around.

I wish someone woulda just put a cheap port of DOOM and DOOM II on the system, w/ online play. I'd play that before SOCOM!

I'm not arguing for total realism, I'm just arguing for certain points in games where more realism would have satisfied my lust for carnage. Just once I'd like to see the quivering halves of a body on either side of my blade. Just once I'd like to crash a car into a wall on Gran Turismo and see it explode (or at least be SCRATCHED). You get the idea. I think that's probably a fundamental thing Grand Theft Auto 3 tapped into that gamers love and parents hate - it really empowers you as the player to do all the mayhem you want. Blow stuff up, and when the cops come to take you down, blow them up too. Can't beat that. Or as my friend David would yell, "SAY HELLO TO MR. GRENADE!"

I'm not arguing for total realism, I'm just arguing for certain points in games where more realism would have satisfied my lust for carnage.  Just once I'd like to see the quivering halves of a body on either side of my blade.  Just once I'd like to crash a car into a wall on Gran Turismo and see it explode (or at least be SCRATCHED).  You get the idea.  I think that's probably a fundamental thing Grand Theft Auto 3 tapped into that gamers love and parents hate - it really empowers you as the player to do all the mayhem you want.  Blow stuff up, and when the cops come to take you down, blow them up too.  Can't beat that.  Or as my friend David would yell, "SAY HELLO TO MR. GRENADE!"

I haven't played it much, but I think that's one thing that would really bug me about Gran Turismo: I've heard it's that way because many (all? most? maybe just some) car liscensors won't let their cars be shown damaged, so they skip that part.

I thought Tao Feng was kinda supposed to have that realism you're talking about, but after reading a review, I guess not. Some concepts of limb damage, but nothing really realistic.

I think GTA3 finds a pretty good balance. I mean, it's pretty unrealistic in many many ways, like how our guy can take so many bullets, (and how there's no damage to your person 'til your bodyarmor gets worn away) how much traffic stuff cops ignore, etc, but by having a decent physics model and setting the player lose, they really make a great world. Like in Vice City, they really make good use of their physics model to put in so many sidequests and amusements...

I guess that's the ultimate definition of a good immersive game - unreal realism. A realistic character in a realistic world who can still for whatever reason do unrealistic things - like absorb multiple gun shots before being killed while blowing up helicopters and police cars with a rocket launcher. Games that suck you in without making you confront the fact the things you're doing shouldn't work in a real world environment no matter how pretty your surroundings are. I would consider games from Vice City to Unreal Tournament to NFL 2K3 to all fall into this category to some degree. They make you feel like the star of your very own TV show.

• 2 weeks later...
There is an eBay seller with new copies of the Japanese release of Soul Calibur listed with a BIN of $7.99.   I bought one the other day and I will post the rest of the story when I receive it.

I received this today.. along with the 10th Birthday Edition of Sonic Adventure 2.

All I can say is "wow'.

Wow...

Both games are NEW and sealed. Soul Calibur was $7.99:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=3038886765

Sonic Adventure 2 Birthday LE was $10.99:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=3038886502

I really had my doubts up until I ripped the packages open...

On the subject orf realism...

The PlayStation game Bushido Blade is the closest there si to a realistic fighter.

And really, it gets annoying when you stab someone through the chest, break their arm in 3 places, and throw them off a cliff, and they get back up and start beating on you again.

Hi Lost Monkey, Do you have a Japanese DC?  I'm almost positive American DC's don't play Japanese games and I was wondering what you have to do to play Japanese games on an American DC.   Thanks

I saw instructions for a hyper cheap mod once.

You hold the CD door switch shut with a rubber band, stick an american game in, turn the DC on(it has to be set up to drop to the DC System interface isntead of booting directly), then wait for the disk to spin down.

Then you remove the american game, put the japanese game in, and hit the play button(icon? logo?).

I have both a Japanese and a US one.

The Japanese one is packed away so I am using a "Utopia Boot Disc" to play the Japanese games on my US system. So far only a couple of my Japanese titles won't work on it (Sega Rally 2, Puyo Puyo 4).

The Utopia boot disc is pretty easy to find on the net, so you can burn yourself one if you have a burner.

Hi Lost Monkey, Do you have a Japanese DC?  I'm almost positive American DC's don't play Japanese games and I was wondering what you have to do to play Japanese games on an American DC.   Thanks

I saw instructions for a hyper cheap mod once.

You hold the CD door switch shut with a rubber band, stick an american game in, turn the DC on(it has to be set up to drop to the DC System interface isntead of booting directly), then wait for the disk to spin down.

Then you remove the american game, put the japanese game in, and hit the play button(icon? logo?).

I did that to play US games on my Japanese system before I got a US one. You also had to cut or desolder one of the leads on the internal battery in the DC.

The problem was, you had to pick and choose which games you used to swap out of the DC because the TOC had already been read on the original disc. This resulted in a lot of games running without music etc...

or just not running at all.

Monkey said...

I am using a "Utopia Boot Disc" to play the Japanese games on my US system. So far only a couple of my Japanese titles won't work on it (Sega Rally 2, Puyo Puyo 4).

= = = = =

Add Godzilla Generations to that list. I wanted to inflict it on some friends using their DC and it looked dumb at me. :( Not that it's a good game, the camera ctrl is horrid, and Godzilla is VERY slow to any command issued, but you get to squish a city! I hear the sequel is better though.

Hex.

[ Ooo! Metabee hates it when people talk about themselves in the 3rd person. ]