IGNORED

Need a soldering refresher? First time soldering?

gnusto

Behold!

These Pace soldering videos are both amusing (with their retro, 1970's earnest presentation) and highly informative. Really pretty much cover everything - certainly everything you would need to know for work on an 8-bit of whatever type. You can skip over the intro minutes in the first one, but don't skip it entirely, as it goes right into dishing out facts still relevant today on mix ratios, melting temps, use of flux, etc.

These used to be part of a course that cost substantial money - a very long time ago. It's worth noting that Pace is still in the business and makes a variety of high quality soldering stations.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I should make a video about soldering surface mount components.  A trick I picked up while working for Compaq in 

one of the manufacturing buildings (CCM4).  I NEVER have any solder bridges when soldering multi legged components.

It involves a LOT of liquid flux and a lot of 99% Isopropyl Alcohol.  If anyone is interested I'll explain it here (or in another

thread if anyone wants).

DavidMil

• Like 3

1 minute ago, DavidMil said:

I should make a video about soldering surface mount components.  A trick I picked up while working for Compaq in 

one of the manufacturing buildings (CCM4).  I NEVER have any solder bridges when soldering multi legged components.

It involves a LOT of liquid flux and a lot of 99% Isopropyl Alcohol.  If anyone is interested I'll explain it here (or in another

thread if anyone wants).

DavidMil

Please explain it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DavidMil said:

thread if anyone wants).

DavidMil

Sounds a lot like the method Louis Rossman uses when repairing Apple Macbooks, though I haven't seen him use IPA, he has a channel on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/user/rossmanngroup

17 hours ago, Mclaneinc said:

Yes please David...For what little SMD work I've done I've used a lot of flux but a tutorial from a pro would be excellent..

As a general rule of thumb I don't usually care for people how like to think of themselves as experts; but 'pro' I can handle.

Let me see what I can put together...

David

6 hours ago, DavidMil said:

As a general rule of thumb I don't usually care for people how like to think of themselves as experts; but 'pro' I can handle.

Let me see what I can put together...

David

I know what you mean but if you know the work well then I want to learn from that person, that's why I watch the repair video's from people like FJC on here and others, there's always a technique that can be used. I'd never seen the drag soldering method for SMD as most of the very basic work I'd done was before the era of SMD so it looked like a nightmare to work on those small scales. After seeing the various video's out there I tried it and had good results but there's always more room for proper technique..

• Like 1

I tried using my cheap little USB camera to get close enough to see the .7mm wide legs with .5mm spacing on a ULN2003A surface mount

IC.  I had to get the lens of the camera so close to the IC that there was no room for my soldering iron!  Anyway I've ordered one of those

$50 USB digital microscopes.  Should be here by Sunday.  I'll get a good video after that!

About the flux...  You need a liquid flux that is made specifically for electronics or communications.  I myself prefer an alcohol based flux.

NEVER use a rosin based flux unless you are sure you can get it all off, or in a few weeks to a few months strange things will start happening

to your electrical pulses.  It's best to avoid rosin flux all together for electronic repairs!  And lastly, I've never worked with water based fluxes,

but some people swear by them.  What ever you get, don't try to use a brush on your board.  I'm a diabetic and after they went to the new flex

pens, I had about 200 .5cc syringes left over that I now use to draw flux from the 4oz bottle and drip onto the circuit board.  You will see that

in the video.

One more thing...  I have seen in several soldering videos, the person doing the video will use the soldering iron to smear the flux or solder

around the pad.  PLEASE DON"T DO THIS!!!  That is the best way to lift a pad that I know of ( well, besides pressing down on the pad to

transfer heat to the pad from the soldering iron).  Don't be afraid to cover the pad in flux, but it's best to do that after the IC has been placed

on the board.  Again, you'll see this in the video.           

DavidMil 

Hi David,

You say "it's best to avoid rosin flux all together for electronic repairs" but all the solder wire I have has rosin flux core. Is this totally not appropriate for SMD?

I have mostly 63/37 solder, in various diameters. Some 60/40. All have rosin core.

Edited by atarialoha

My digital microscope came yesterday.  I can't figure out how to upload videos to the PC yet, (the docs are written by a very poor

Chinese translator) and don't make a lot of sense!  Plus the docs are missing two pages (page numbering goes from page 4 to page 7).

I did manage to get it up and running and wanted to show it off a little.  On the red circuit board below is the actual size IC (right at a 

centimeter long) and the blown up pic at the top.  The chip is a Darlington Array (ULN2003A) with Gull Wing legs.  This is the chip I'll

use for the demo.

DavidMil 

Microscope.JPG

• Like 2

5 hours ago, DavidMil said:

My digital microscope came yesterday.  I can't figure out how to upload videos to the PC yet, (the docs are written by a very poor

Chinese translator) and don't make a lot of sense!  Plus the docs are missing two pages (page numbering goes from page 4 to page 7).

I did manage to get it up and running and wanted to show it off a little.  On the red circuit board below is the actual size IC (right at a 

centimeter long) and the blown up pic at the top.  The chip is a Darlington Array (ULN2003A) with Gull Wing legs.  This is the chip I'll

use for the demo.

DavidMil 

Microscope.JPG

I've got an illuminated magnifier, but that seems far better.

I need one of those, my eyesight isn't improving as I get older. May I ask how much and where from?

Edited by Mazzspeed

My experience has been these type of inexpensive digital microscopes seem good in theory, but the form factor doesn't work well with larger boards, the contrast of the images on the display are subpar, and the amount of room between the camera bottom and your work area are extremely tight. This is just my experience, so YMMV. I upgraded to a similar setup to what Louis Rossmann uses, which is more professional, and also more expensive.. but if your have the workbench space, works much better.

33 minutes ago, selgus said:

My experience has been these type of inexpensive digital microscopes seem good in theory, but the form factor doesn't work well with larger boards, the contrast of the images on the display are subpar, and the amount of room between the camera bottom and your work area are extremely tight. This is just my experience, so YMMV. I upgraded to a similar setup to what Louis Rossmann uses, which is more professional, and also more expensive.. but if your have the workbench space, works much better.

That is a valid point. I actually find clearance to be an issue regarding my standard illuminated magnifier, as getting the device in focus requires the lens to be close enough to the work that you struggle to squeeze your iron in there.

The setup Louis Rossman uses is quite impressive, I'm almost afraid to ask how much?

Edited by Mazzspeed

31 minutes ago, Mazzspeed said:

The setup Louis Rossman uses is quite impressive, I'm almost afraid to ask how much?

Louis setup with a vendor a few years back, to offer a similar setup (not the same exact AmScope that he uses), and was quite reasonable (shipped from China):

I'll need to dig up the total costs..

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32880372287.html?gps-id=pcStoreJustForYou&scm=1007.23125.137358.0&scm_id=1007.23125.137358.0&scm-url=1007.23125.137358.0&pvid=d0116749-e4aa-4134-a451-8e02f5f12384&spm=a2g0o.store_pc_home.smartJustForYou_6000407339303.0

Minsvision 1080P HDMI digital camera 7-45X trinocular stereo microscope LED adjustable light source phone repair

US $299.00
Shipping: US $75.48 
to United States via AliExpress Premium Shipping
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, selgus said:

Louis setup with a vendor a few years back, to offer a similar setup (not the same exact AmScope that he uses), and was quite reasonable (shipped from China):

I'll need to dig up the total costs..

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32880372287.html?gps-id=pcStoreJustForYou&scm=1007.23125.137358.0&scm_id=1007.23125.137358.0&scm-url=1007.23125.137358.0&pvid=d0116749-e4aa-4134-a451-8e02f5f12384&spm=a2g0o.store_pc_home.smartJustForYou_6000407339303.0

Minsvision 1080P HDMI digital camera 7-45X trinocular stereo microscope LED adjustable light source phone repair

US $299.00
Shipping: US $75.48 
to United States via AliExpress Premium Shipping

Meh, that's not as bad as I thought and I can claim it on tax. I might have to look into one as this eyesight is becoming a hindrance.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DavidMil said:

The one I ended up getting was a LM-208.  It can focus as close as 1 inch and as distant as 5 inches.  I also like the ability to

twist it right or left 60 degrees and forward or back 45 degrees.  I paid $144.00 through Amazon. 

So, after quite a bit Google detective work, I found what looks like a VERY SIMILAR direct China no-name model; probably uses the same electronics/firmware:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32825792006.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.4a267fd2cqCZV0&algo_pvid=null&algo_expid=null&btsid=0b0a555316224921090282987eae0d&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

and it says you can use the SD card for photo/video.

Are you plugging it into the computer via USB? It might not transfer video that way, maybe just use the SD card and record on it?

Screen Shot 2021-05-31 at 10.16.37 AM.png

Edited by atarialoha