IGNORED

AVGN reviews the 3DO, says it's s**t.

1 hour ago, IntelliMission said:

A bit cruel for a console that has perfect versions of Road Rash, Street Fighter 2, and Alone in the Dark 1 and 2, even if the Doom port was a bit slow. What do you think?

I think James is playing his AVGN Character and giving the majority of his fans what they expect ? Come on now, those aren't serious reviews.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

Honestly this was like a straight up review for him.  He was pretty accurate on which games he praised and whatnot.  The light gun complaint was very warranted.  I have a 3DO, and indeed, most of the games are terrible, not sure how anyone can dispute that with a straight face?

• Like 4
  • Confused 3

I never touched this or the jaguar, but I'm sure playing any of them would have blown my 13 year old mind in 1993, when I had never played a textured 3D game.

The 3DO looks more interesting than the Jaguar: 250+ games vs. 50, a normal controller... The price was not exactly attractive and I didn't even know it existed until decades later (I live in Spain. Someone at school mentioned the Jaguar like "whoa, the Jaguar!", and I tried the CDi at a computer shop once... but never knew the 3DO was a thing).

My personal opinion about the video: I think we're a bit too old to say a console is a s**t (except for cases like Hyperscan, etc.), especially when in the same video you mention you like several of the games.

?

I’ve had a 3DO since ‘95 & i still enjoy playing a lot of the games.  It’s got its fair share of crap & might not look like much next to the PS & Saturn but it’s a decent console with plenty of games that are still worth playing.  I’ve always really liked the goofy FMV light gun games too. 

In addition to the games I already mentioned, the 3DO also had The Need for Speed, Wing Commander III, Star Control II, Cannon Fodder, the horror game D, The Horde, a good port of Wolfenstein 3D, a "next-gen" version of Another World with different sounds and graphics, Policenauts (Japan only)...

It doesn't seem like s**t to me for 1993. Not at all.

• Like 6

Although I agree with most of his views on the 3DO I was/am SO sick of his shtick that I stopped watching eons ago. I can't believe I actually had to ask myself "What's an AVGN?" and clicked on this. It's been that long.

I apologize to those that like his videos but I hate this guy.

Also, just because we're here: Wing Commander III, Return Fire and the best version of Star Control II ever released were on the 3DO and among my favorite titles for the system.

Edited by ClassicGMR
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 5/20/2021 at 1:36 PM, IntelliMission said:

A bit cruel for a console that has perfect versions of Road Rash, Street Fighter 2, and Alone in the Dark 1 and 2, even if the Doom port was a bit slow. What do you think?

I think he praised the games that were worthy of mentioning and shat on the ones that really deserved it.  Still, while the console was good (at least imo), the high initial price ($699 or even $599 in some places) was damn high and having only one game at launch helped drive the nails in the coffin for the system early on.  That being said, it is a system worth exploring more than, say, a CD32, which he also shat on quite a bit more.  Though, again, imo, it wasn't that bad of system and had a lot of promise.  But, that being said, the Sega Saturn and 3DO are better systems than that.  Just my take on everything.

• Like 1

Terrible review, not to mention the guy swears like he's 12 years old. The 3do was and still is a great console. Tons of great games that he didn't bother to mention just to be"hip". The funny thing is, the majority of crap titles he did mention were also available on the PS1 and the Saturn. Ultimately I think he's missing the point. The games on this console were made for a more mature audience, not for someone with a Jr. High intellect.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Last week he reviewed the 3DO version of Corpse Killer. More justified review this time, but maybe he could have done without saying "even cheating on the 3DO s***s b***s!" (it looks like the cheat cartridge codes didn't include invincibility).

It looks like he will be concentrating on 3DO FMV games... Let's see what's his next target. I didn't play any of these games back in the day, but I can't help but think they had more potential than they finally developed.

Edited by IntelliMission

AVGN is a character. He's not meant to be taken seriously. Sometimes he makes decent points, but the purpose is to crap over everything. That's the shtick of the show.

I'm not sure why we're in 2021 and this still needs to be explained.

• Like 10
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, Austin said:

AVGN is a character. He's not meant to be taken seriously. Sometimes he makes decent points, but the purpose is to crap over everything. That's the shtick of the show.

oh-wait-youre-serious-let-me-laugh-even-

It's fake? Really? ?

The first time I heard George Carlin's "Back in Town" it was hilarious and aggressive. The 65th time(exaggeration) it's annoying as hell and aggressive and I'm sick of it. That's AVGN. That's all I meant.

Still a better review than Game Sack's. You can tell he had to dig deeper in order to make valid points about the games he played. Most other 3DO reviews are summed up here: "Road Rash is great, LOL FMV is shit."

This is another one where Crash n Burn is said to handle poorly...I don't get it. Am I the only one who can play Crash n Burn? The controls are reliable and so the car's movement is predictable. I really don't recall there being that big of a learning curve there.

Edited by WhyNotZoidberg
  • Like 3

Personally, I think that AVGN reviews were fairly spot on.  Granted, some of it was hyperbole and/or exaggerated.  But, honestly, not too bad.  I think he did more of a disservice to the CD32 than he did the 3DO.  But, again, just my thoughts.

• Like 3

Angry Nintendo Nerd was always Angry Nintendo Nerd before the name change, even if something was good he would try to knock it down if it wasn't Nintendo, even when doing those separate gameplay segments with the Mike guy. 

This is actually one of the worse cases, looking at this thread, people don't know he already talked about the 3DO before, he went back because of years of interest for the systems and backlash, only to still basically skimp over some of the games he has heard are good (and the 2 he played) to find some rare shovelware that was barely sold in stores to knock the 3DO down again.  He's done this with nearly every system not a Nintendo console which is hilarious since he started his career and most of his biggest vids are based on how many bad games were in the NES library.

It's very likely though this is partial intentional but uinlike others it's clear in his off AVGN videos that it's not all intentional and he really is picky. He's also very ignorant and parrots revisionist history from other youtubers or wikipedia and back in his early years we are talking 2009-2014 wikipedia. But people know what to expect by now.

On 5/20/2021 at 9:49 PM, Greg2600 said:

I have a 3DO, and indeed, most of the games are terrible, not sure how anyone can dispute that with a straight face?

You don't have a library of over 350 games with a ton of good magazine reviews and over 2 million sales if "most" of the games were terrible.

On 6/7/2021 at 9:52 AM, Austin said:

He does it off the show all the time.

On 5/21/2021 at 2:25 PM, IntelliMission said:

In addition to the games I already mentioned, the 3DO also had The Need for Speed, Wing Commander III, Star Control II, Cannon Fodder, the horror game D, The Horde, a good port of Wolfenstein 3D, a "next-gen" version of Another World with different sounds and graphics, Policenauts (Japan only)...

It doesn't seem like s**t to me for 1993. Not at all.

Don't forget Doctor Hauzer, Eye of Typhoon, Sailor Moon, Samurai Showdown, Armageddon, Alone in the Dark 1&2, Gex, yada yada.

• Thanks 2

On 5/20/2021 at 9:49 PM, Greg2600 said:

Honestly this was like a straight up review for him.  He was pretty accurate on which games he praised and whatnot.  The light gun complaint was very warranted.  I have a 3DO, and indeed, most of the games are terrible, not sure how anyone can dispute that with a straight face?

He only reviewed one of it's good games (Road Rash), and intentionally put a bunch of the shitty games in there to clown on. He lied about the 3DO controller in the SFII part - the original has 5 buttons, not 3. (the triggers on top), he left out Need for Speed, Return Fire, glossed over the fact that Gex is 100x better on 3DO than Playstation, left out Killing Time. I dunno. I get that some imbeciles think this guy's schtick is funny, I don't, but whatever... but at least don't lie about stuff.

Also - The #DO was only $700 at launch. It dropped to $300 to match the PS1 within a few months. Dude just basically lies abotu stuff and swears a lot like a 7 year old who thinks his parents can't heard him.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/7/2021 at 9:52 AM, Austin said:

It's his whole life. It's not just a character for Youtube. It's who he is.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

17 hours ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

It's his whole life. It's not just a character for Youtube. It's who he is.

Not sure if you're serious, but James is a family man and aspiring filmmaker. He's much more into movies than video games and AVGN was just a silly character that he came up with, and that took off in the early days of Youtube. He probably keeps doing the show for the money and I don't think he even writes the scripts anymore.

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheCinemassacreTruth/comments/ijjerv/screenwave_writing_the_avgn_scripts/

His pal Mike Matei is closer to being the real life AVGN if you've ever seen him play games.

Edited by mbd39
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, mbd39 said:

Not sure if you're serious, but James is a family man and aspiring filmmaker. He's much more into movies than video games and AVGN was just a silly character that he came up with, and that took off in the early days of Youtube. He probably keeps doing the show for the money and I don't think he even writes the scripts anymore.

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheCinemassacreTruth/comments/ijjerv/screenwave_writing_the_avgn_scripts/

His pal Mike Matei is closer to being the real life AVGN if you've ever seen him play games.

I mean, I'm not paragon of morality by any means, but if dude is supposed to be a "family man", but his most famous public celeb persona is being known for crudely dropping f-bombs on Youtube like an edgy 12 year old trying to show off, while shitting on things people enjoy - I kinda feel bad for his family. I can't imagine what it must be like for his kids at school if their classmates know who their dad is. Yikes.

• Like 2

On 5/24/2021 at 5:45 PM, ClassicGMR said:

Although I agree with most of his views on the 3DO I was/am SO sick of his shtick that I stopped watching eons ago. I can't believe I actually had to ask myself "What's an AVGN?" and clicked on this. It's been that long.

I apologize to those that like his videos but I hate this guy.

Also, just because we're here: Wing Commander III, Return Fire and the best version of Star Control II ever released were on the 3DO and among my favorite titles for the system.

To the best of my knowledge, I've never watched any of the AVGN stuff, but I (think) I understand what they're going for.  Either way, doesn't matter to me, but as for the guy himself.... I stumbled onto a couple of videos where he was discussing movies, and was extremely impressed.  The content was great.  His delivery was amazing.  No shtick, no character, no "edgy" language.  Not sure what else he does outside of AVGN, but sure seems like he can create some amazing content based on the couple of things I watched.