IGNORED

AVGN reviews the 3DO, says it's s**t.

15 minutes ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

I mean, I'm not paragon of morality by any means, but if dude is supposed to be a "family man", but his most famous public celeb persona is being known for crudely dropping f-bombs on Youtube like an edgy 12 year old trying to show off, while shitting on things people enjoy - I kinda feel bad for his family. I can't imagine what it must be like for his kids at school if their classmates know who their dad is. Yikes.

Listen to him talk about movies and he's nothing like the AVGN character. You can tell this is where his passion actually lies.

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

Listen to him talk about movies and he's nothing like the AVGN character. You can tell this is where his passion actually lies.

I mean, that's nice and all, but it doesn't really undo the idiocy of the AVGN stuff. I get that it's scripted, he's not really walking around all day like that, etc.

I just tend to have a sincere distaste for the culture of miserable nerd rantings on YouTube in general. This guy, Red Letter Media, Doomcock, Mike Zeroh, there's so many of these performatively angry/snarky assclowns on YouTube trying to be "funny", and failing miserably, it's obnoxious. it's brain poison for gullible people who think their condescening opinions matter. The rise of YouTube has been the demise of serious art or art criticism, and has convinced a million morons that they are funny, talented, and important. Makes me gag thinking about it. 

• Like 2

On 6/15/2021 at 10:56 AM, Leeroy ST said:

(...)

You don't have a library of over 350 games with a ton of good magazine reviews and over 2 million sales if "most" of the games were terrible.

(...)

I’m a true 3DO enthusiast so don’t get me wrong here I love my FZ-10

to death and I play it regularly but I can’t sit here and read your post like the 3DO deserves to sit on the videogames throne.

Your count of 350 games surely includes regional duplicates and, yeah, they’re not all great.

90s magazines were routinely bribed into boosting their reviews and they all agreed that Blade Force was the ultimate game on the system and a console seller, but everyon who played it will tell you that the game is impressive and fun but also super flawed.

The Philipps CD-i is said to have sold 1 million units worldwide. 

The Nintendo Wii U sold 13,6 million and is considered both a financial and critical failure. The 3DO sits closer to the CD-i in that regards.

Doctor Hauzer and the Alone in the Dark Games were already outdated when they were released on 3DO and are unplayable, AVGN was spot on about the controls. Gex was ok but remember it existed in the same period as the SNES' Donkey Kong Country games which look and play a thousand times better so the 3DO was never the go-to system for platforming games.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Montrealer said:

to death and I play it regularly but I can’t sit here and read your post like the 3DO deserves to sit on the videogames throne.

Your count of 350 games surely includes regional duplicates and, yeah, they’re not all great.

90s magazines were routinely bribed into boosting their reviews and they all agreed that Blade Force was the ultimate game on the system and a console seller, but everyon who played it will tell you that the game is impressive and fun but also super flawed.

The Nintendo Wii U sold 13,6 million and is considered both a financial and critical failure. The 3DO sits closer to the CD-i in that regards.

Doctor Hauzer and the Alone in the Dark Games were already outdated when they were released on 3DO and are unplayable, AVGN was spot on about the controls. Gex was ok but remember it existed in the same period as the SNES' Donkey Kong Country games which look and play a thousand times better so the 3DO was never the go-to system for platforming games.

Couldn't have said it better myself. ?

Lately I've come to the realization that I appreciate the 3DO as much as I do for its eclectic library. When I fire it up I get a genuinely different experience than competing platforms. Many of its games aren't going to outdo what was available on other platforms, but they are still fun and there are many that are still exclusive/unique to it. Lots of weird, interesting titles. It's a platform with a unique feel/identity.

I feel it is a solid platform when you look at it that way and it generally gets much more hate than it deserves. That said, does it deserve any real awards? Probably not. But that doesn't mean it can't still be a fun and worthwhile experience.

Edited by Austin
  • Like 3

On 6/20/2021 at 4:18 AM, John Stamos Mullet said:

I mean, that's nice and all, but it doesn't really undo the idiocy of the AVGN stuff. I get that it's scripted, he's not really walking around all day like that, etc.

I just tend to have a sincere distaste for the culture of miserable nerd rantings on YouTube in general. This guy, Red Letter Media, Doomcock, Mike Zeroh, there's so many of these performatively angry/snarky assclowns on YouTube trying to be "funny", and failing miserably, it's obnoxious. it's brain poison for gullible people who think their condescening opinions matter. The rise of YouTube has been the demise of serious art or art criticism, and has convinced a million morons that they are funny, talented, and important. Makes me gag thinking about it. 

If you realize it's all scripted and acting, I don't see the point of all the previous stuff you've said.

It's all about opinions. Even if you dislike the swearing and saying everything is shit, it doesn't mean everyone else has to. AVGN appeals to that audience who thinks it's funny. And he really was up until about 2-3 years ago; refer to the Mega Man episode.

You don't need to dictate what everyone thinks is funny. If you dislike something, just hit that dislike button and walk away, maybe saying "what a shitload of fuck" in the process. You don't need to spend large portions of your time trying to prove it isn't funny, when it's, like I said, entirely dependent on each individual's sense of humour.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, bluejay said:

If you realize it's all scripted and acting, I don't see the point of all the previous stuff you've said.

Well, just like AVGN says the 3DO is s**t, @John Stamos Mullet says AVGN is s**t... It seems fair to me.

2 hours ago, bluejay said:

You don't need to dictate what everyone thinks is funny. If you dislike something, just hit that dislike button and walk away, maybe saying "what a shitload of fuck" in the process. You don't need to spend large portions of your time trying to prove it isn't funny, when it's, like I said, entirely dependent on each individual's sense of humour.

Now let's change this sentence to talk about AVGN:

"You don't need to dictate what console everyone thinks is good. If you dislike a console, just play another and walk away, maybe saying "what a shitload of fuck" in the process. You don't need to spend large portions of your time trying to prove it isn't a good console, when it's, like I said, entirely dependent on each individual's taste in video games."

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, IntelliMission said:

Well, just like AVGN says the 3DO is s**t, @John Stamos Mullet says AVGN is s**t... It seems fair to me.

Now let's change this sentence to talk about AVGN:

"You don't need to dictate what console everyone thinks is good. If you dislike a console, just play another and walk away, maybe saying "what a shitload of fuck" in the process. You don't need to spend large portions of your time trying to prove it isn't a good console, when it's, like I said, entirely dependent on each individual's taste in video games."

Here's the difference: AVGN does it to be funny. He makes (sometimes not so) funny content out of exaggerated complaints he has about something. That's what he does as the AVGN. And people enjoy watching him. I have never played the 3DO so I can't comment on how accurate and justified AVGN's complaints and opinions about each game is, but it doesn't matter, because that's the joke. He says everything is shit. On the other hand, John seems to be completely serious about what he says. He isn't trying to make a joke out of his opinions, so his questionable reasoning isn't justified. So, it's not the act of saying something is shit that matters, it's the context it's said in.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, bluejay said:

It's all about opinions. Even if you dislike the swearing and saying everything is shit, it doesn't mean everyone else has to. AVGN appeals to that audience who thinks it's funny. And he really was up until about 2-3 years ago; refer to the Mega Man episode.

2 or 3  posts from a week ago with maybe 2 or 3 sentences each isn't exactly "large portions" of anyone's time, really.

13 hours ago, bluejay said:

Here's the difference: AVGN does it to be funny. He makes (sometimes not so) funny content out of exaggerated complaints he has about something. That's what he does as the AVGN. And people enjoy watching him. I have never played the 3DO so I can't comment on how accurate and justified AVGN's complaints and opinions about each game is, but it doesn't matter, because that's the joke. He says everything is shit. On the other hand, John seems to be completely serious about what he says. He isn't trying to make a joke out of his opinions, so his questionable reasoning isn't justified. So, it's not the act of saying something is shit that matters, it's the context it's said in.

Oh, you read it right. I'm absolutely not joking.

AVGN is NOT funny. If you find his stuff funny, I don't understand you.

I find it tedious and childish, but what's worse is that so many people try to shoehorn in both "He's just joking, relax!" and "But he's also right you know!" into their reaction to his videos. I just wish people would pick a lane. Either he's just kidding, or he's right.

And I don't necessarily disagree with the 3DO being critically panned. It was a flop. It had potential, but they wasted it on FMV games and in the end couldn't face up to Sony's & Sega's ability to deliver. But the truth is, there are a nice group of genuinely good/great games for it, and trying to claim it's all garbage, joking or not, is just stupid.

But really AVGN is terrible, and I really wish people would stop giving this kind of Moron Theater any kind of attention or notoriety. The line between funny and cringe is pretty well defined, and this bit is solidly on the cringe side of it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

AVGN is NOT funny. If you find his stuff funny, I don't understand you.

Fair enough. Weird Al is NOT funny. If you find his stuff funny, I don’t understand you.

I find it tedious and childish, but what's worse is that so many people try to shoehorn in both "He's just joking, relax!" and "But he's also right you know!" into their reaction to his videos. I just wish people would pick a lane. Either he's just kidding, or he's right.

Sure, you’re free to find AVGN tedious and childish. Which he is, at least, at this point in time. 

Believe it or not, a 10-15 minute video can contain both jokes and facts. Like I said, I don’t have a 3DO so I couldn’t tell you about the legitimacy of his complaints, but from the previous videos, I know he puts in completely valid complaints here and there, mixed with the swearing. It is true that Simon’s Quest is cryptic, and it is true that the pits in ET are incredibly annoying, especially if you haven’t got the hang of releasing the button perfectly. 

And I don't necessarily disagree with the 3DO being critically panned. It was a flop. It had potential, but they wasted it on FMV games and in the end couldn't face up to Sony's & Sega's ability to deliver. But the truth is, there are a nice group of genuinely good/great games for it, and trying to claim it's all garbage, joking or not, is just stupid.

Again, believe it or not, that calling everything is shit is the whole point of AVGN. That’s what’s supposed to be funny about him. 

But really AVGN is terrible, and I really wish people would stop giving this kind of Moron Theater any kind of attention or notoriety. The line between funny and cringe is pretty well defined, and this bit is solidly on the cringe side of it.

Yes, obviously he’s on the terrible and cringey side in your mind. And he’s dangerously close to getting there in mine. But the thing is, it isn’t the case with a lot of other people. Who are you do judge what people think should be funny? Why should you decide who watches what?

4 hours ago, bluejay said:

Fair enough. Weird Al is NOT funny. If you find his stuff funny, I don’t understand you.

Sure, you’re free to find AVGN tedious and childish. Which he is, at least, at this point in time. 

Believe it or not, a 10-15 minute video can contain both jokes and facts. Like I said, I don’t have a 3DO so I couldn’t tell you about the legitimacy of his complaints, but from the previous videos, I know he puts in completely valid complaints here and there, mixed with the swearing. It is true that Simon’s Quest is cryptic, and it is true that the pits in ET are incredibly annoying, especially if you haven’t got the hang of releasing the button perfectly. 

Again, believe it or not, that calling everything is shit is the whole point of AVGN. That’s what’s supposed to be funny about him. 

Yes, obviously he’s on the terrible and cringey side in your mind. And he’s dangerously close to getting there in mine. But the thing is, it isn’t the case with a lot of other people. Who are you do judge what people think should be funny? Why should you decide who watches what?

As I've pointed out on other discussions - popularity isn't a measure of quality. Just because something is popular doesn't mean it's good. Nockelback sold millions of records and was wildly popular, and they're terrible. 

I'm not "deciding who watches" anything. If people want to support abjectly terrible garbage, I can't stop them. But I can say my piece on it.

Offering an opinion on something is a far cry from forcing people to do anything. And this gets right back to what I said earlier about YouTube having ruined most people's ability to recognize serious art or art criticism.

Some things are just plain objectively bad. Poorly made. Lacking in quality, both in production and performance. AVGN meets all those criteria. It's poor quality. Saying "but I like it" doesn't change the production quality. 

I love the movie "Balls of Fury" the ping pong farce with Christopher Walken and Dan Fogler. It's completely stupid, and terrible quality, But I like it. But I would never argue that it isn't terrible. I would fully admit it's stupid, and not gatekeep others from disliking it. 

• Like 5

Wow!  Almost 2 pages devoted to arguing about this guy?  Reminds me of when I was a kid and I'd say something negative about 'X' celebrity.  My dad would always counter with the following:

"You can't argue with success."

He has over 3.5 million YT subscribers.  His videos have over 1.8 billion views, combined.  People obviously like the content he puts out...or at least, enough people to warrant him continuing to put out the AVGN content.  People gather in droves to meet him at various public events/signings.  He found his niche and capitalizing on it.  Personally, I like all of his content, including AVGN.  My daughter and I met him at a small con in Maryland, a few years back.  He signed my Atari 5200 and her copy of NES Top Gun.  We also sat in on a town hall event he and his staff held.  It was very interesting and entertaining.  All in all, he's a very nice guy.

Like him or not, he's laughing all the way to the bank.  More power to him.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, KidGameR186496 said:

Peronsally, I still watch his videos from time to time (the new ones but mostly the old episodes). I would also recommend playing Immercenary and Burning Soldier on the 3DO.

Those are really good games. I wouldn't recommend AVGN's videos, but good taste in 3do games ;)

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/22/2021 at 2:10 PM, Montrealer said:

if you believe this not only are you not a enthusiast, but you clearly have a bias in the back of the room that's slowly coming out since I never put it on any throne.

Example

Here you are already taking a (incorrect) belief that you feel strongly about and acting as if you with 100% confidence know this, but you don't. It does actually have that many different games, not just regional versions of the games. I will also admit that there are a lot of incomplete 3DO lists out there that may have caused you to think this, but the issue is you aren't even being open to the possibility that your understanding may not be entirely accurate.

Me pointing that out is not me "putting the 3DO ont he throne" it's you resisting not pushing inaccuracies as fact.

This is another example, this is something I almost never saw but your projecting your anecdotal evidence, The biggest games I saw were Gex, Shockwave, need for Speed, SFIIT, Fifa, and a handful of others, most of which were games that did actually sell. I do recall seeing 100k for Blade Force somewhere but it's definitely not some major highlight from what I saw.

Which isn't a games console, is a multi-media machine and it sold 1 million in 8 years losing billions because it was supposed to somewhat replace your VCR player or maybe even your computer. 3DO had well reviewed games, and more games, and sold over 2 million in a bit more than 3 years. They aren't in anyway comparable. Now you are making false equivilences.

You pushing your personal opinions aside, good thing the 3Do had more games than Hauzer and Alone in the dark huh?

All you're doing is projecting, I don't even see how your post even got likes outside crazy people because all I said was the 3DO has one great games, a good number of them, and sold over 2 million copies in a short time, and wasn't "garbage" and didn't have a "trash library" that's all I said. 

It's common sense you don't sell as much software or as much hardware as the 3DO if the library was "trash". You know that's nothing but an antagonizing statement.

On 6/24/2021 at 1:57 PM, John Stamos Mullet said:

It had potential, but they wasted it on FMV games

It has a handful of FMV games, now we are seeing debunked talking points from 2009 again lol. 

Edited by Leeroy ST
  • Like 2

I knew this topic would create an intense and entertaining debate. Thanks, guys!

Another thing AVGN said was that the controllers connecting to each other instead of a multi-tap was a terrible idea... Did anyone here played enough multiplayer on the 3DO to confirm whether this was awkward or not? I guess it would not be that different to hooking them up to the console or multi-tap?

Edited by IntelliMission

3 hours ago, Leeroy ST said:

It has a handful of FMV games, now we are seeing debunked talking points from 2009 again lol. 

It had 21 FMV-based games in the US, which is roughly 10% of it's total. Not a ton, but more than a handful. Problem was - they marketed them too hard to try to compete with Sega CD when they first rolled out.

Not sure if you read the rest of my posts in this thread but I genuinely love the 3DO. But let's be honest - it had a bunch of bad games, and the FMV ones were prominently in that category.

Edited by John Stamos Mullet

3D0 is a piano key necktie; you had to be there when it was big to get it .  We had one in the 90s and it was pretty awesome, but it aged not so great.

Even at $700, it eas still significantly cheaper than a PC that would be capable of playing the 3D0's catalog, but that dn didn't hold long.  That wipes out a huge chunk of its appeal.  WCIII is just as good on PC.  AitD2 is light years better.  Things like PO'ed ended up on PS in short order, and what's left after that is a mixed bag to say the least.

Can't blame a guy who wasn't part of the thing at the time for thinking it's crap.  That wasn't even an uncommon attitude in the 90s.

• Like 1

3Do is a weird console. It's one of those things I accept as pure and utter shit. But I'd be lying if I said I didn't still enjoy it on some level.

I had one and about 15 games. I played the shit out of Return Fire, Foes of Ali and Road Rash. There was also a first person rpg game I cant remember the name of. It was like Hexen and Heretic....I liked that game too.

Alot of people say Virtuoso is shit. I liked it.

But seriously, overall...... it's cool having a Panasonic console that was lost to time......but it's  pretty shit outside of 10  or so games. 

• Like 1

To be fair, the thread title could be "AVGN reviews *anything that's not Mario or Zelda*, says it's s**t," and it would be accurate. That's his whole schtick. If some people take that seriously, that's their problem really. 

I always think it's cool when an old console I like, such as the 3do, gets some modern exposure. Whether it's in a good light or bad one, it's still cool when people are talking about it. And in many cases, younger people are being exposed to it for the first time. 

On 7/15/2021 at 7:47 PM, sn8k said:

There was also a first person rpg game I cant remember the name of. It was like Hexen and Heretic....I liked that game too.

Probably one of the Advanced Dungeons and Dragons games; Slayer or Deathkeep.  I remember those being really cool.  Nice graphics and huge maps.

On 7/15/2021 at 7:47 PM, sn8k said:

Alot of people say Virtuoso is shit. I liked it.

Man, I wanted that one BitD, but O couldn't afford it and we never saw any used copies, and my dad was a straight-up "no" because EGM tore it to shreds at the time.

Critics were hard as hell on that system. 

On 6/10/2021 at 8:23 AM, WhyNotZoidberg said:

Still a better review than Game Sack's. You can tell he had to dig deeper in order to make valid points about the games he played. Most other 3DO reviews are summed up here: "Road Rash is great, LOL FMV is shit."

This is another one where Crash n Burn is said to handle poorly...I don't get it. Am I the only one who can play Crash n Burn? The controls are reliable and so the car's movement is predictable. I really don't recall there being that big of a learning curve there.

Yes! I love Crash n Burn. I think it's one of the 3DO's better games. I've played through it quite a few times over the years. Second the people that mentioned Star Control II, Need for Speed, and Wing Commander 3. These were really fantastic at the time. 

I also have a guilty pleasure for Burning Soldier, even though it's a mindless button masher. The presentation is tres chic, tho.

On 7/13/2021 at 2:50 PM, IntelliMission said:

I knew this topic would create an intense and entertaining debate. Thanks, guys!

Another thing AVGN said was that the controllers connecting to each other instead of a multi-tap was a terrible idea... Did anyone here played enough multiplayer on the 3DO to confirm whether this was awkward or not? I guess it would not be that different to hooking them up to the console or multi-tap?

It's perfectly fine. Allows more room for other players than direct ports. It's really not much different otherwise. 

• Like 1

On 7/19/2021 at 6:20 PM, profholt82 said:

To be fair, the thread title could be "AVGN reviews *anything that's not Mario or Zelda*, says it's s**t," and it would be accurate. That's his whole schtick. If some people take that seriously, that's their problem really. 

I always think it's cool when an old console I like, such as the 3do, gets some modern exposure. Whether it's in a good light or bad one, it's still cool when people are talking about it. And in many cases, younger people are being exposed to it for the first time. 

He trashed the 3DO years ago, he only brought it up again due to years of backlash and he still did mostly the same outside spending 4 seconds naming some good games. Which is weird since he trashed Gex' in a non-nerd episode.

I think my biggest issue with him and his schtick were the first 5-6 years of his popularity because he would act like an authority on history and events and people just took his word for it.

Remember that time FF7 was a Sony response to OoT, a game that launched a year later? No? Me neither, but that's the kind of stuff he put out 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/21/2021 at 3:49 AM, Greg2600 said:

I have a 3DO, and indeed, most of the games are terrible, not sure how anyone can dispute that with a straight face?

You don't judge a system by its BAD games. Yes, the 3DO had many bad ones, but the good ones are what matters.

The PS1 had lots and lots of shit games as well, because everyone could easily develop for it, causing an excessive supply of cheaply-made games. But you would not call the PS1 a bad system because of that, would you?

• Thanks 1