IGNORED

AVGN reviews the 3DO, says it's s**t.

On 8/9/2021 at 9:49 AM, derSammler said:

You don't judge a system by its BAD games. Yes, the 3DO had many bad ones, but the good ones are what matters.

The PS1 had lots and lots of shit games as well, because everyone could easily develop for it, causing an excessive supply of cheaply-made games. But you would not call the PS1 a bad system because of that, would you?

There were good games???  When I got the USB-ROM thing and sampled them, it was difficult to find any.  Sorry, it's not a good system.  I don't really care about potential, what we got is what we got.

• Sad 1

On 8/11/2021 at 4:10 PM, Greg2600 said:

There were good games???  When I got the USB-ROM thing and sampled them, it was difficult to find any.  Sorry, it's not a good system.  I don't really care about potential, what we got is what we got.

Some may say the same with ps1 and N64. But you can't sell 2 million consoles and even more millions in software without some people thinking the console is worth it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/11/2021 at 3:10 PM, Greg2600 said:

It's supposed to have one of the best ports of Road Rash.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Leeroy ST said:

And Need for speed. But that varies depending on who you ask.

The PS1 and Saturn versions of NFS look better on the surface (faster framerate, more content), but once you play them they quickly fall apart.  They turned the game into an arcade style racing game, but they didn't adjust the physics and handling to match the faster pace.  As a result, it feels like you go from 0 to lightspeed in a few seconds and you can't steer and go directly into the wall at the slightest bend.  It just doesn't work.  It's slightly better if you use manual gears, but a racing game should be playable/controllable in either config.  The 3DO game is slower paced, but the speed/handling/physics all work together to create a functional game.

I suspect a lot of people just look at the PS1/Saturn versions and assume they're better due to the framerate and extra modes and don't investigate any further.

30 minutes ago, zetastrike said:

The PS1 and Saturn versions of NFS look better on the surface (faster framerate, more content), but once you play them they quickly fall apart.  They turned the game into an arcade style racing game, but they didn't adjust the physics and handling to match the faster pace.  As a result, it feels like you go from 0 to lightspeed in a few seconds and you can't steer and go directly into the wall at the slightest bend.  It just doesn't work.  It's slightly better if you use manual gears, but a racing game should be playable/controllable in either config.  The 3DO game is slower paced, but the speed/handling/physics all work together to create a functional game.

I suspect a lot of people just look at the PS1/Saturn versions and assume they're better due to the framerate and extra modes and don't investigate any further.

Those versions are also missing some content. Lots of the environment is missing, the cutscenes are missing, the car demonstrations are missing, a couple tracks are shorter iirc, less cars on the road, and there's no one ranking your performance.

But in either case it's clear with the original game what they were originally aiming for, I think later they saw Ridge Racer and Daytona and thought those were going to perform better than they did considering they were popular in arcades.

On the surface a fast paced arcade style racer would seem like it would have better reach than a simulation or somewhat of a simulation, but over the years that has never proven to be the case outside some kart racers. Excluding karts it hasn't ever happened with 1 major exception, that being NFS which has gone back and forth on both sides.

Other than those, the best selling racers are not the arcade or home fast paced favorites.

37 minutes ago, zetastrike said:

I agree, the 3do version of the Need for Speed controls the best. I also think the Saturn version is pretty good, but the PlayStation version controls like crap. 

Not on console, but I owned Road Rash and Need for Speed on PC back then, those were the best versions.  The EA launch 3DO titles were fine, but they don't age terribly well, on any system.  I would agree the Playstation ports were not great, and haven't really bothered with Saturn ones. 

PS1 NFS controls well. For people unaware, you know.. it IS perfectly OK to let off the gas or apply the brakes every now and then. Just because it's an "arcade racer" doesn't mean you only hold down the peddle and should expect to win. Actually, no *good* "arcade racer" will allow you to do that.

Regarding the 3DO one, it's a very different game. I wouldn't say it controls "better". It just works for the kind of driving game it is, a sim-oriented driving game.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Austin said:

PS1 NFS controls well. For people unaware, you know.. it IS perfectly OK to let off the gas or apply the brakes every now and then. Just because it's an "arcade racer" doesn't mean you only hold down the peddle and should expect to win. Actually, no *good* "arcade racer" will allow you to do that.

Regarding the 3DO one, it's a very different game. I wouldn't say it controls "better". It just works for the kind of driving game it is, a sim-oriented driving game.

Lol, yes brakes do help. I loved the PS1 version, mainly because the PS1 was my go to console back in the mid nineties. I spent countless hours playing split screen, and the cheat codes were fantastic. I didn't notice how terrible the controls were at the time, but a few years ago I decided to pick it up and play it again. Man, in my opinion it didn't age very well. About a year ago, I played the Saturn version. I wasn't expecting much after the PlayStation, but I was pleasantly surprised. The cars handled considerably better and more realistic on the Saturn. I have the 3do version as well. The cars are by far the easiest for me to control on the 3do, but it's a totally different feel. I like both versions. 

On 8/13/2021 at 8:26 PM, Leeroy ST said:

Some may say the same with ps1 and N64. But you can't sell 2 million consoles and even more millions in software without some people thinking the console is worth it.

I can vouch for this to a degree.  I never considered giving the N64 the time of day (really).  However, once I got a loaded up SSD for my Nvidia Shield TV, I gave some games a go, and was really pleasantly surprised.  Same I imagine goes for the 3DO.  Haven't dove into that system all that much, but I am sure there are some really good games on it and worth playing.  It was just a damn shame that its sky high initial price and lack of software at the get-go really helped to kill off the system early.

15 minutes ago, Hwlngmad said:

I can vouch for this to a degree.  I never considered giving the N64 the time of day (really).  However, once I got a loaded up SSD for my Nvidia Shield TV, I gave some games a go, and was really pleasantly surprised.  Same I imagine goes for the 3DO.  Haven't dove into that system all that much, but I am sure there are some really good games on it and worth playing.  It was just a damn shame that its sky high initial price and lack of software at the get-go really helped to kill off the system early.

I mean it hurt it but I wouldn't say it killed it, it started selling better later on. But messing up that head start for that first year just made things an uphill battle. They were basically still starting from Zero when sales picked up end of 94. They were sitting on iirc 500k+ units before then, it could have been a lot more.

But imo, I think the most self-inflicted blow they made to themselves, was only aggressively marketing and price cutting when the (US)PS1/SAT were within reach in 95. 3DO had addressed the press repeatedly that they could drop the price significantly in 94 when more models came out, and then basically sabotaged themselves by making the cuts low and gradual until they were forced to act.

Due to this, the premium status associated with 3DO cratered. It dropped to $350 then shortly after $299 to match the ps1, then $199 months later into 96, dropping lower as the year went on.

Yeah, a good number people brought consoles at these price points, but they also devalued their machine and lost the interest of everyone else. So those impulse buyers were capped.

Then you had retailers both freaking out and pissed off lowering 3DOs retail footprint as the months went on until it's discontinuation.

3DO actually still had a chance in 95 to turn things around, not make up for the slow start of course, but the 3DO had some console moving games that year including Gex, which itself would blow every other game on the system out the water in sales. All they had to do was drop the price more when they said they would, instead of slowly cutting the price in small increments for nearly a year and a half. At least we may have seen the M2 released.

So I dont blame the launch price as much as other people. I understand why before other models were available that it was $700 then $500 dollars. I'd say that they could have hedged that a bit if they had launched with more games instead of just one major title for 3-4 months.

I mean Crash N Burn was good but not that good lol. 

And good on enjoying the N64. I'm not to fond of a lot of its library, but there are several good games on it worth playing, some being surprising.

• 1 month later...
On 5/20/2021 at 2:36 PM, IntelliMission said:

A bit cruel for a console that has perfect versions of Road Rash, Street Fighter 2, and Alone in the Dark 1 and 2, even if the Doom port was a bit slow. What do you think?

So here's the Thing. I had a 3DO. I got it for $400 used and thought that was a great deal in 1994. I say this, If you played it before you played another 32/64 bit console at the time, it was an awesome system but once Saturn, Playstation, N64 hit the market, it was clear that the 3DO wasn't going to keep up. I imagine most gamers got a 3DO or played a 3DO in retrospect, which makes it look like a weaker console. I think in the case of James, the majority of his viewers either never played a 3DO and/or only got to play it way later. It was one of those things that if you were lucky or could afford one, it was great AT THE TIME!. Myself, I loved FMV. I still play today with offerings from Wales Interactive. 

On 10/12/2021 at 10:44 AM, CollectorJeff said:

So here's the Thing. I had a 3DO. I got it for $400 used and thought that was a great deal in 1994. I say this, If you played it before you played another 32/64 bit console at the time, it was an awesome system but once Saturn, Playstation, N64 hit the market, it was clear that the 3DO wasn't going to keep up. I imagine most gamers got a 3DO or played a 3DO in retrospect, which makes it look like a weaker console. I think in the case of James, the majority of his viewers either never played a 3DO and/or only got to play it way later. It was one of those things that if you were lucky or could afford one, it was great AT THE TIME!. Myself, I loved FMV. I still play today with offerings from Wales Interactive. 

Yeah.  I went from Genesis/SNES to a 3DO & was amazed by a lot of the games. It definitely seemed less amazing after playing the PS & Saturn.  The same could be said of most consoles from generation to generation though.  I still played my 3DO even after getting a PS, Saturn & N64.  I still play it today & have a lot of fun with it. 

I still enjoy playing my 3do to this day. There are a handful of games for it that I really love and consider favorites. But I'd imagine for those who didn't play it when it was new will probably have a difficult time if trying it today for the first time. That transition from 2d to 3d consoles was an awkward one, and the 3do sort of paved the way for what was to come. But for me, many of those "awkward" games have a charm that I really enjoy. 

My 3do journey is a bit different than the norm, however. Back when it was still a new console, my good buddy got one for Christmas or birthday. This would have been late in the console's lifespan, probably late 95 or maybe even 96, so I assume his parents got it marked down. But we loved it, and played it all the time. I eventually got a Playstation in 97, and we had both moved on by then, but I never forgot those good times with the 3do. 

Cue to about 3 or 4 years ago, and that same buddy was visiting my home (we live hours apart, so get-togethers are rare). He was taken aback when he saw my game room, and we started reminiscing about the old days. When I asked him about that old 3do, he told me that it was still in his parents' basement as far as he knew. Well, we worked out a deal, and I ended up receiving that same 3do. I've since picked up a bunch more games for it, and have really come to appreciate the console. For what is now considered a rare and niche console, it certainly has a large game library. 

• Like 3

On 6/7/2021 at 8:52 AM, Austin said:

I'm not sure why we're in 2021 and this still needs to be explained.

Because not everyone lives and breaths Youtube and there are plenty, even those into vintage consoles, who have never heard, seen or watched this guy and a myriad of other videos on Youtube. Not that you are wrong about what you said before the line I quoted above, just explaining WHY these things STILL need to be explained  to some. Now go on back to dissolving your brain in the acids of Youtube...

On 8/11/2021 at 3:10 PM, Greg2600 said:

Too many people "sample" consoles and jump to unwarranted conclusions. Yes, the 3DO and even Jaguar have half of library of bad games, and it is very easy to "sample" and manage to get all bad games. But there are plenty of good ones, as good as any other system of the time too. Unless you own a system and a significant amount of games, you should reserve foolish remarks about said system. I've owned both since the 90's, 2 of my 3 favorite consoles of all time strictly because of the other half of their libraries that are great games!

And why does someone who "sampled" a system and think it is crap from their limited knowledge of it even bother to then hang out and read and reply to threads in the consoles forum? If I don't care for something, the last thing I'm going to do is waste my time in a forum for it saying it sucks whether I have a real clue or not. You are a troll.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gunstar said:

Too many people "sample" consoles and jump to unwarranted conclusions. Yes, the 3DO and even Jaguar have half of library of bad games, and it is very easy to "sample" and manage to get all bad games. But there are plenty of good ones, as good as any other system of the time too. Unless you own a system and a significant amount of games, you should reserve foolish remarks about said system. I've owned both since the 90's, 2 of my 3 favorite consoles of all time strictly because of the other half of their libraries that are great games!

And why does someone who "sampled" a system and think it is crap from their limited knowledge of it even bother to then hang out and read and reply to threads in the consoles forum? If I don't care for something, the last thing I'm going to do is waste my time in a forum for it saying it sucks whether I have a real clue or not. You are a troll.

Agreed.  The Jag and the 3DO were good consoles.  However, while I will say that they aren't great, they is plenty of fun to be had on the systems.

6 hours ago, Hwlngmad said:

Agreed.  The Jag and the 3DO were good consoles.  However, while I will say that they aren't great, they is plenty of fun to be had on the systems.

I agree they aren't great, but for their time their potential was great, but turning potential into reality takes lots of great software. And while I do believe both systems have a half-dozen killer-apps, it's not enough to make them great. But definitely enough to be considered good consoles worth owning to anyone who truly gave them a chance a sought out the best games for them, and hidden gems.

But what they have is enough for me, for them to be among my 3 favorite consoles ever, since those half-dozen games on each console (and another half-dozen really good, but not "killer-app" games) are all-time favorites of mine and are either proprietary  games, or the best versions of the games across all consoles of the era. I include the Jaguar CD in my "complete" Jaguar system & library and part of the "holy-Trinity," as half my top favorites for the Jaguar are in fact Jag CD games and badly needed, IMHO, to help the Jaguar & 3DO compliment each other.

The third console that makes up my personal holy-trinity of consoles is the Dreamcast. All 3 failed systems, but all three having most of my all-time favorite games. And unlike many Jaguar and 3DO fans who then and now have the us vs. them attitude, between the consoles venerating which is better, I consider the two complimentary consoles that should be side-by-side ( or under and over if you have an FZ-1 like me) and together complete each other with a decent combined library.

I first owned a Jaguar, and when it and Atari died (not knowing the 3DO died about the same time) I picked up a used 3DO in spring '96 when the last Jaguar game was released (until Telegames released 6 titles a year later) and it's chips cashed in, for the exact purpose of complimenting the Jaguar's library and seeing me through the next few years until I was ready to spend another small fortune on the next "next gen" machine. As there were a dozen or more games slated for the Jaguar (a few have emerged and been published in the years since) thad had already been released on the 3DO.

So a $99 used (traded in for a Playstation or Saturn probably) 3DO with free extra controller and game of my choice (purchased at Electronics Boutique), was my choice in my next console instead of paying 2-3 times as much for the newer Saturn and Playstation systems. Especially since I hadn't worked my way through even the Jag's limited library yet, and the 3DO gave me games I lamented over not getting on the Jag as well as other great games. Between the two, and discount bins, I had a wonderful time waiting out the generation until the Dreamcast was released and never regretted buying either, in fact, I consider them two of my best purchases ever and excellent investments (which looking at ebay trends in pricing I have been vindicated). And they and my favorite games for them burned a place in my heart as favorites for the rest of my life.

I of course own a Saturn and Playstation now and still enjoy them too, I prefer the Saturn, so the Playstation and N64 are at the bottom, for me, in best consoles of the generation. I owned a Nintendo 64 I bought used 15 years ago, but hated the controllers; I genuinely loath them to the point of wanting to smash any I ever see. I can't help but roll my eyes when people say Jag controllers were the worst ever, they always felt and worked good for me. So I sold the N64 again based solely on the terrible controllers that I never wanted to use again.

I do admit being a loyal Atari and Sega console owner since the early 80's. Always owning both of each generation, so I have a slight bias, but not overwhelming, the 3DO being the first non-Atari/Sega console I ever owned (and second favorite ever) and the Saturn being the first and only Sega console I did not own when it was a going concern ( played it occasionally at a friends).

Edited by Gunstar
grammatical, typing and spelling errors.
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Gunstar said:

Because not everyone lives and breaths Youtube and there are plenty, even those into vintage consoles, who have never heard, seen or watched this guy and a myriad of other videos on Youtube. Not that you are wrong about what you said before the line I quoted above, just explaining WHY these things STILL need to be explained  to some. Now go on back to dissolving your brain in the acids of Youtube...

If anyone's "dissolving their brains", it's the people on this forum. So.. congrats, I guess.

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...
On 5/31/2021 at 4:03 PM, RREDDWARFF said:

Terrible review, not to mention the guy swears like he's 12 years old. The 3do was and still is a great console. Tons of great games that he didn't bother to mention just to be"hip". The funny thing is, the majority of crap titles he did mention were also available on the PS1 and the Saturn. Ultimately I think he's missing the point. The games on this console were made for a more mature audience, not for someone with a Jr. High intellect.

did it ever occur to you that he is supposed to be a parody of most reviewers? I agree otherwise though. He mostly does movies though.