IGNORED

Selling advice

Atari_Bill

I usually pick a number that is exactly between the price I originally paid for it and the going rate. That way the buyer’s discount is equal to my profit. Couldn’t be more fair, in my opinion.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, bfstats said:

I usually pick a number that is exactly between the price I originally paid for it and the going rate. That way the buyer’s discount is equal to my profit. Couldn’t be more fair, in my opinion.

True, but when most of the stuff was purchased 15+ years ago, it’s tough to know what you spent. 

If you want it to move you will have to price a fair chunk lower than ebay, amazon, etc. Otherwise people can just shop there with nearly bulletproof buyer protection. You should also take into account you will not be loosing the percentage somewhere like ebay would be taking either. Best bet is to pass that onto the potential buyer. If what you have is super rare or unique than you will have more potential buyers on the forum simply due to the nature of what you are selling. If it's run of the mill systems, controllers and games that can be found without issue elsewhere? Without said lower price point, you will be sitting on your items for longer than you would like.

• Like 1

I find if you want in general here, vgs, facebook, etc want to not just be another ebay'r douche trying to avoid their 13-14% fees that they do now they kicked out paypal it's best to slice 20% off the top of the average price the SOLD listing son that site go for in comparable condition. A good many lazy marketplaces online require 10% but that's not a deal, that's just a dodge and often you can wait a day or a week and pay less anyway on ebay.  Going over 20-25% gets you to where some troll can if they're that hard up use it for a flip to make a few bucks and they do.  You need that sweet spot where someone who will keep it will be enticed.

• Like 1

I don't usually sell things, I mostly just buy.  But when I do sell, I do look at the going rate on E-Bay and discount accordingly from there.  I am not usually looking to make a killing on something, I just want it to find a good home and be appreciated.  This is a fairly small community here and if I have something to sell I would give a decent 25% discount or so.  Also consider that you are not paying E-Bay any fees or taxes.

2 hours ago, AB Positive said:

I know it's looked down on, but I used VGPC ducks tomatoes but then sliced off 25% right off the top in order to get to a more fair price. Then again I'm hitting "Clear the warehouse" mode so profits weren't my first priority compared to getting more space in my place.

Tomato in this case is undeserved due to your caveat entirely.  Take the lame average, but then slice 25% off that. VGPC is grossly wrong, it doesn't account for condition and partial completeness.  But with that 25% off, that would negate that stupidity and still take it under doing better on ebay,  yet not so low you get poached to a flipper.  Smart move really.

I'm doing clear outs too, even doing trades right now to offload what's in my closet of things and still pulling other on top.  It has worked well, at a point now where I can put my 2 plastic tubs of smalls I'm moving back on the shelf instead of in the way on the floor.

I try to quickly eyeball an average from recent eBay sales. I ignore items that are active or completed without a sale, unless I have no further sold data. And I ignore high and low outliers. 

If I am selling here or person to person, I shoot for what most people say, around 20% below that eBay average since that is around my expenses on eBay, although you may still have to soak up PayPal fees. I suggest you add that 3% into your prices and not require gift payment.

Bill, if you can sell your stuff in person at a show, it is very satisfying. You should be able to sell at least 20% of your stuff on the initial go, or way more if you price aggressively. There used to be a show in Cleveland that I went to maybe 20 years ago that I'm sure is quite a bit bigger. I wonder if they are having that this year? Or if you feel like driving to Wisconsin next year, Midwest Classic is awesome.

Good luck!

Thank you!  Good advice.  I would never go the gift payment route.   I was probably just going to eat that 3%.  We’ll see. I know there is at least one good show in Cleveland.  That’s only about 2.5 hours for me so I’m going to try to make that.  If I did, I would probably take some of the larger items that wouldn’t ship as easy.  I’ve always wanted to hit the Midwest classic.  Maybe now that I’m retired, that might happen...

17 minutes ago, Atari_Bill said:

Thank you!  Good advice.  I would never go the gift payment route.   I was probably just going to eat that 3%.  We’ll see. I know there is at least one good show in Cleveland.  That’s only about 2.5 hours for me so I’m going to try to make that.  If I did, I would probably take some of the larger items that wouldn’t ship as easy.  I’ve always wanted to hit the Midwest classic.  Maybe now that I’m retired, that might happen...

I always leave the option of gift (Friends & Fam) just in case. Honestly, when you post some stuff and I buy (because I am pretty sure you have something I want) I will send F&F just because. It might not be a big difference but it can add up for people that are trustworthy. I can also tell you put a lot of effort into collecting a bunch of what you have so I want you to get as much for your time and effort as possible. Plus I don't mind F&F on smaller purchases. Not to say I won't buy more, but if you happen to make a $20 sale, I can chance spending it on that. hell, I just threw money away on crypto. haha

• Like 1

On 5/21/2021 at 7:32 PM, Atari_Bill said:

Not sure how close to chicago you are but VCFMW is a good show to sell at. 

On 5/21/2021 at 7:32 PM, Atari_Bill said:

Yes! CCAG,  The last I looked we had a few tables left.  It is a great time as well.