Jump to content
rgjt

File/Disk Manager with Date/Time Stamp

Recommended Posts

Does anybody know of a file manager that shows the date/time stamp for listing files when using the great IDE card that would work with a TI99/4a system?

I've looked through Fred Kaal's site and did not see any of his excellent programs that includes such an option.

I understand that the Geneve 9640 supported it.

Any suggestions would be appreciated as to how this could be done as I'm sure there are quite a few IDE card users out there.

BTW, kudos to Chris S. at shift838 store for assembling and testing these great cards, very professional work by him for the TI community.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unfortunately, IDE format is not yet supported in TIImageTool, but I have it on the todo list.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, mizapf said:

Unfortunately, IDE format is not yet supported in TIImageTool, but I have it on the todo list.

It would be great to be able to see the time stamp when performing a disk catalog directly on the TI99/4a hardware with the IDE card, especially in 80 column format with the F18A video upgrade.

Maybe Fred Kaal can contribute his comments on this topic.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, mizapf said:

Ah, you're looking for something running on the real iron?

Indeed, probably asking for too much on that little dinosaur computer that still has a mean bite. :twisted:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Triple Tech card like upgrade fit onto some other card like Disk controller or Hard Drive or even TIPI?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I remember correctly, there is a version of BOOT (the latest one released by JJ, guessing 1989-1991 timeframe) that when in 80 column mode, displays the time/date stamps in the directory.  It's not a disk manager, however. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any idea where to get that version of BOOT?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, InsaneMultitasker said:

If I remember correctly, there is a version of BOOT (the latest one released by JJ, guessing 1989-1991 timeframe) that when in 80 column mode, displays the time/date stamps in the directory.  It's not a disk manager, however. 

I found the BOOT, BOOU EA/5 programs that shows the date in the directory and the 80 column width after pressing "W".

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to support the clock on the IDE card.

I'm wondering if somebody has the assembly source code for it who could tweak it to allow showing the time stamp.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/22/2021 at 5:34 PM, rgjt said:

I found the BOOT, BOOU EA/5 programs that shows the date in the directory and the 80 column width after pressing "W".

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to support the clock on the IDE card.

I'm wondering if somebody has the assembly source code for it who could tweak it to allow showing the time stamp.

 

Post the files you located when you have a moment. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, InsaneMultitasker said:

Post the files you located when you have a moment. 

Sure, here's the DSK and the PDF document. The DSK also includes the autoload Extended Basic files.

It's unfortunate that the BOOT doesn't support the clock on the IDE card.

One can only hope that someone has the source code for BOOT that can be modified to read the time stamps. 

BOOT-Documentation.pdf Boot80col.dsk boot bootload boou load

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, rgjt said:

Sure, here's the DSK and the PDF document. The DSK also includes the autoload Extended Basic files.

It's unfortunate that the BOOT doesn't support the clock on the IDE card.

One can only hope that someone has the source code for BOOT that can be modified to read the time stamps. 

BOOT-Documentation.pdf 299.96 kB · 1 download Boot80col.dsk 360 kB · 1 download boot 6.13 kB · 1 download bootload 1.13 kB · 1 download boou 6.13 kB · 1 download load 384 B · 1 download

Here's what I see with an mfm drive.   Is this what you are referring to? 

image.thumb.png.5a97e690498f207d6910406bccdfaf63.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, InsaneMultitasker said:

Here's what I see with an mfm drive.   Is this what you are referring to? 

image.thumb.png.5a97e690498f207d6910406bccdfaf63.png

Yes, that is it.

I have the Nouspikel's IDE card that I purchased from SHIFT838store that uses Fred Kaal's DSR version 15. The IDE card has the new clock chip board (BQ4802) with a replaceable CR2032 battery.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@shift838 currently has the card I was using for some testing.   The BOOT program doesn't seem to care what device is used, however, it might be opening the catalog file in a different manner than is expected by the IDE.  Someone with an IDE card will need to do some further testing. 

 

Do you know for sure that the time stamps are being updated on your device?  I'm assuming Fred's DSR updates the timestamp but haven't confirmed it does/does not on a TI system.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, InsaneMultitasker said:

@shift838 currently has the card I was using for some testing.   The BOOT program doesn't seem to care what device is used, however, it might be opening the catalog file in a different manner than is expected by the IDE.  Someone with an IDE card will need to do some further testing. 

 

Do you know for sure that the time stamps are being updated on your device?  I'm assuming Fred's DSR updates the timestamp but haven't confirmed it does/does not on a TI system.

I understand from reading Fred's DSR documentation that it does.

Can I check files that are stored on the CF card using a disk sector editor and try to find the time stamp for that file in the allocation table?

BTW, I connected an old IDE drive to the IDE card, copied files over to the new partitions and it also doesn't list the time/date stamp.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, jedimatt42 said:

ForceCommand theoretically supports timestamps on files with the DIR command.

That might work with TIPI. I'm looking at the "pure" TI99/4a with the IDE card. Other hard drive cards such as the Myarc and Corcomp supports the file stamp so I would expect the IDE card to also support that feature.

Apparently not from what I've seen so far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Put another way, if you have an 80 column display, force Command will try to fetch and display timestamps, for any device that supports them.

 

If it doesn't work, and I can emulate it in MAME, I will fix it.

 

People have a misconception that ForceCommand is for TIPI... That is not the intention at all... https://github.com/jedimatt42/fcmd/wiki/Compatibility

Edited by jedimatt42
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I read through the entire forum posts on this topic. Force Command appears to be a real winner for the TI99/4a community. 

I will give it a try tomorrow when I have some time and see if it works with the IDE card in my system. Fingers crossed.

Thanks.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, jedimatt42 said:

Put another way, if you have an 80 column display, force Command will try to fetch and display timestamps, for any device that supports them.

 

If it doesn't work, and I can emulate it in MAME, I will fix it.

 

People have a misconception that ForceCommand is for TIPI... That is not the intention at all... https://github.com/jedimatt42/fcmd/wiki/Compatibility

Well, the time date didn't work on the directory listing in the 80 column width mode. This is using the most current version of force command.

I tried it using the AUTOCMD and FORCE CMD from FinalGrom99.

The DATE command shows 0-0-0 12:00AM. Obviously not finding the clock. When using the CALL IDETD for the IDE card, the correct time-date is displayed.

The clock chip on the IDE card is the daughter board built by SHift838 (Chris Schneider), it's the BQ4802.

I have a directory named DSK1 on the [1000.IDE1] that is provided for DSK emulation by the IDE DSR.

I discovered that I cannot CD to DSK1. It results in the following error:

[error, device/folder not found: DSK1.]

I can CD to any other directory as well as change to another IDE partition without any issues.

Attached are some screenshots showing the above comments.

I hope you can troubleshoot the DATE issue.

Thanks in advance.

Roger

 

DSC_6149.JPG

DSC_6150.JPG

DSC_6151.JPG

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It doesn't help here, but the only system I know of for the TI, that does include at least a date stamp for the files, is the UCSD p-system.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/28/2021 at 12:31 PM, apersson850 said:

It doesn't help here, but the only system I know of for the TI, that does include at least a date stamp for the files, is the UCSD p-system.

On the 4A, all known mass storage devices SCSI, IDE, HFDC, HDX, TIPI, and others support timestamps automatically on files, and make those timestamps available to the 4A through an extension to the BASIC accessible CATALOG FILE protocol. That data is available to the programmer in most if not all the programming languages that support the standard TI filesystem.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, jedimatt42 said:

On the 4A, all known mass storage devices SCSI, IDE, HFDC, HDX, TIPI, and others support timestamps automatically on files, and make those timestamps available to the 4A through an extension to the BASIC accessible CATALOG FILE protocol. That data is available to the programmer in most if not all the programming languages that support the standard TI filesystem.

I never knew that protocol existed. Where can I find information on that protocol? Would it be included in the old TI disk floppy controller manual that came with the PEB?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hardly, since it has been introduced with later accessories. Which is what I meant with my comment above. The UCSD p-system was the only to include a date stamp from the beginning. The other things mentioned have been added by third party accessories introduced later. But it's good they've settled on using the same format!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...