IGNORED

My Software Library: A Preservation Effort

On 5/21/2021 at 10:10 PM, SoulBuster said:

Modula-2

There does not seem to be any copy protection on this set. Create two single sided disk and copy the contents to each disk or directly to the Hard drive.

Very very cool. I’ve been looking for this for a long time. Would you happen to have the manual?

I have a shit-ton of stuff to go through. I started with all the disks that are not in original packaging, so I do not know if I have the manual or not yet.  Should I find it, I will add it and indicate that it is updated on the original post.

21 hours ago, SoulBuster said:

Gem-View - The disk format is 2 Sides, 82 Tracks, 11 Sectors/Track, Step 3ms, Skew 1, Fatlen 3, Sect/Cluster 2, DirLen 8, Dir Entry Count 128, Boot Sector Normal.  I was not able to make it back into a disk.

Gem-View.ZIP 816.36 kB · 3 downloads

It's best to put so large formats/sizes on HD floppy. Will check later how it works from 1.44 MB format.

Hmm, quick look into DIR says that there is some packed data - so more reasons to go on larger format, and if possible have it unpacked on.

I copied files from Gem-View floppy image to hard disk. Depacked LZH, and it is then about 220 KB instead 160 KB - so was solved that it fits on single SD floppy - what was, it seems most important thing in the World those years ? OK, this was for sure for people with hard disk, so no big problem, and luckily, disk is still in good shape, and we have it now for whole digital eternity.

5 hours ago, ParanoidLittleMan said:

It's best to put so large formats/sizes on HD floppy. Will check later how it works from 1.44 MB format.

Hmm, quick look into DIR says that there is some packed data - so more reasons to go on larger format, and if possible have it unpacked on.

4 hours ago, ParanoidLittleMan said:

I copied files from Gem-View floppy image to hard disk. Depacked LZH, and it is then about 220 KB instead 160 KB - so was solved that it fits on single SD floppy - what was, it seems most important thing in the World those years ? OK, this was for sure for people with hard disk, so no big problem, and luckily, disk is still in good shape, and we have it now for whole digital eternity.

As I understand it, other preservation initiatives try to preserve in the original format of the software. I think I accomplished it with this title and the MSA program I am using.  The fact that I cannot make it back into a disk really is not relevant as the data can be extracted and installed with out the original format.

Thanks for verifying that result.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SoulBuster said:

As I understand it, other preservation initiatives try to preserve in the original format of the software. I think I accomplished it with this title and the MSA program I am using.  The fact that I cannot make it back into a disk really is not relevant as the data can be extracted and installed with out the original format.

Thanks for verifying that result.

Sure, I'm aware that we need preservation in original format (although some can say that there are better formats for that than ST images, even if SW is not copy protected).  But, to use it, or as said just to 'verify' image (via running files on it, or unpacking archive) often some other format is much better.   And what is more important - to have it strictly in original format, or to make it easier usable.  Computer SW is not like some painting. You want not only to look at it, but to taste it too ?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ParanoidLittleMan said:

Sure, I'm aware that we need preservation in original format (although some can say that there are better formats for that than ST images, even if SW is not copy protected).  But, to use it, or as said just to 'verify' image (via running files on it, or unpacking archive) often some other format is much better.   And what is more important - to have it strictly in original format, or to make it easier usable.  Computer SW is not like some painting. You want not only to look at it, but to taste it too ?

I agree it should be more easily usable, but I am trying to follow what is already being done.  The .ST format seems to be the most used format, so I am following that line of thinking.  Might as well be consistent.