IGNORED

Mario Golf: Super Rush

ClassicGMR

I'm probably going to pass on it, but it looks like it could be alright.  The 3DS version and how they handled it put me off the series, and before that on handheld I really liked the original on GBC best as the RPG game was awesome which they kind of flubbed on the GBA sequel.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I got my copy on Friday...I have to say I'm disappointed I spent $60 on this from a pre-order. I loved the Gamecube game so I had high hopes for this one. No one part of the game feels fully baked and it seems to sometimes want to be a realistic golf game (as much as a Mario sports title can be) and sometimes an arcade style game. I guess the big gimmick is the whole "rush" concept where you race the other players to your balls but it's just not fun and leaves me scratching my head of why that is the main draw of the game. A golf game where running around a course is the unique part? As for Adventure mode, I was hooked on the Golf Story downloadable game and Super Rush has nothing on that, at least so far as I've played it. A lot of the characters you interact with provide absolutely nothing useful other than to spit out a generic sentence or two. The practice areas do help you understand the games controls, so I will give Adventure mode some points there.

It's still OK to just play for a score alone, but it doesn't seem like there's a lot here. Some holes in later stages have "enemies" that can mess with your ball, but again this feels half-baked if that. Maybe I had my hopes too high? This would be a god bargain bin title for half the price, but for $60 I'm not feeling like I got my money's worth.

ETA: I haven't played battle mode or anything online, so maybe there's some fun to be had there. If you're looking for some golf action on the Switch, I'd recommend the previously mentioned Golf Story.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I cancelled my pre-order after it got a 5 from Gamekult, even if the reviewer already bashed the 3DS episode I personally loved. The thing is, and it may be the same for this one as it was for Mario Tennis, the content tends to be added gradually. They added tournaments and challenges on a regular basis iirc. But the 3DS game was enjoyable alone, which is logical since multiplayer is more suited to a console than a handheld. This Switch game tends to be more focused on multiplayer, the rush mode being of course more like a party game (and it seems it's not very fun against the AI).

• Like 2

I think people with this game will end up dishing out divisive scores.

If you're a fan of the games, especially the handheld ones, or even the aesthetics of gamecubes release -- this one will anywhere from disappoint/let you down to utterly piss you off

But if you're NEW to it, or you now live mostly pleased by more pick up and go party play, multiplayer screw you mechanics, and tap/swipe level touch/mobile style handling type of games/golf games you'll love it.

It just does not seem to have a happy middle ground so you'll love it or hate/dislike it.

They in this case may have added a lot of content to appear hip and fresh, but it went to the point of subtracting levels of dependable quality the franchise had before this release so that mileage will vary on what you hoped to get vs what you did get.  Nintendo is having to battle against the mobile world with a handheld of all things, so they're clearly this and last generation hobbling more of their 2nd tier franchises, especially those who already were for 2-4P anyway, with more 'party mechanics and multiplayer aspects' first over the emphasis of the base root game which is taking a hard back seat.  Mario Party style is infecting things, it has infected Kart, Smash, seemingly to a lesser level so far(saw far less complaints) Tennis and now Golf.  We can get angry and say will they ever learn, sadly, they have, PARTY style screw you mechanics and multiplayer are what's hot now with an overly simple ease of approach for more instant gratification.

If you want Mario Golf, get Golf Story and just pretend it's the mushroom kingdom of sorts. ;)

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Tanooki said:

I think people with this game will end up dishing out divisive scores.

If you're a fan of the games, especially the handheld ones, or even the aesthetics of gamecubes release -- this one will anywhere from disappoint/let you down to utterly piss you off

But if you're NEW to it, or you now live mostly pleased by more pick up and go party play, multiplayer screw you mechanics, and tap/swipe level touch/mobile style handling type of games/golf games you'll love it.

It just does not seem to have a happy middle ground so you'll love it or hate/dislike it.

They in this case may have added a lot of content to appear hip and fresh, but it went to the point of subtracting levels of dependable quality the franchise had before this release so that mileage will vary on what you hoped to get vs what you did get.  Nintendo is having to battle against the mobile world with a handheld of all things, so they're clearly this and last generation hobbling more of their 2nd tier franchises, especially those who already were for 2-4P anyway, with more 'party mechanics and multiplayer aspects' first over the emphasis of the base root game which is taking a hard back seat.  Mario Party style is infecting things, it has infected Kart, Smash, seemingly to a lesser level so far(saw far less complaints) Tennis and now Golf.  We can get angry and say will they ever learn, sadly, they have, PARTY style screw you mechanics and multiplayer are what's hot now with an overly simple ease of approach for more instant gratification.

If you want Mario Golf, get Golf Story and just pretend it's the mushroom kingdom of sorts. ;)

I was thinking last night how I missed the Mario aspects in Golf Story. :P

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MrBeefy said:

I was thinking last night how I missed the Mario aspects in Golf Story. :P

Yeah I guess.  I mostly enjoy the GBC version over the others, that one had little 'mario' to it until you get to the mushroom kingdom golf course in the last area and go up against them.  Before that, it's pretty much like Golf Story that's why I went there with the comparisons.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

Yeah I guess.  I mostly enjoy the GBC version over the others, that one had little 'mario' to it until you get to the mushroom kingdom golf course in the last area and go up against them.  Before that, it's pretty much like Golf Story that's why I went there with the comparisons.

I think that was true for Tennis too. It has been awhile. Don't get me wrong I've been enjoying Golf Story and it is quirky in it's own way.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I watched a few Twitch streams of this game and it didn't look that interesting to me. The golfing mechanics look simplified because you mostly can't control your shot accuracy and the game overall seems borderline unfinished with how many features it lacks compared to its predecessors. While I heard Camelot would continue to support the game via DLC, paying full price for a lacking game with the assumption that it will later have more content than the previous games sounds ridiculous, so I bought the Gamecube one for half the price. This game and Aces make me believe that Camelot have lost their touch.

• Like 1

On 7/29/2021 at 7:51 PM, The Mr. Video said:

I watched a few Twitch streams of this game and it didn't look that interesting to me. The golfing mechanics look simplified because you mostly can't control your shot accuracy and the game overall seems borderline unfinished with how many features it lacks compared to its predecessors. While I heard Camelot would continue to support the game via DLC, paying full price for a lacking game with the assumption that it will later have more content than the previous games sounds ridiculous, so I bought the Gamecube one for half the price. This game and Aces make me believe that Camelot have lost their touch.

You made the right move with the Cube version, way more fun. I think the shot accuracy is just fine in Rush, I've only played the game a handful of times since I posted in here. It seems in-person multiplayer is where the fun is at, if there is any to be had. Fortunately I didn't have a Switch when Aces came out so I knew better when I did pick one up.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, MrBeefy said:

Sounds like I made a good choice to scratch my itch with Golf Story. Really the multiplayer mode is what appeals to me about Rush the most.

I can't remember the thread where we talked about that game, did you finish it? 

• Like 1

I've played Mario Golf enough that I unlocked all three sets of clubs for Pauline, the first set for Wario in single-player. and finished Adventure Mode (no thanks to that BS XC golf stuff).

It really all depends on what the player is looking for in the game, I think.  It's not as in-depth I feel like as GameCube Toadstool Tour, but it scratches my "I want to play golf for 30 mins-1 hour" itch.

• Like 1