IGNORED

How does sound work on the Atari Jaguar?

JazGaming

I'm very new to the inner workings of old hardware, but I at least understand that the 16-bit era used sound channels. The SNES had 8 sampling sound channels for example. Of course nowadays we think of sound much differently in hardware but where is the Jaguar on this? I don't think it uses sound channels but I'm not sure. And if not how DOES it work?

Indeed, the Jaguar does not have sound channels. It just has 2 DACs (left and right). There is no DMA either. You must program the DSP to fetch the samples, mix them and send them to the DACs. You can also do software synthesis with the DSP. Basically, everything is done in software.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DrTypo said:

Indeed, the Jaguar does not have sound channels. It just has 2 DACs (left and right). There is no DMA either. You must program the DSP to fetch the samples, mix them and send them to the DACs. You can also do software synthesis with the DSP. Basically, everything is done in software.

Wow I've been reading about how all these things work together, it's very fascinating. Learning to code is only the surface of how computers work so I appreciate you giving me these basic things to go down this rabbit hole of knowledge.

14 hours ago, JazGaming said:

I'm very new to the inner workings of old hardware, but I at least understand that the 16-bit era used sound channels. The SNES had 8 sampling sound channels for example. Of course nowadays we think of sound much differently in hardware but where is the Jaguar on this? I don't think it uses sound channels but I'm not sure. And if not how DOES it work?

I heard you can have 12 up to sound channels on the Jag ?!;-)

Edited by agradeneu