IGNORED

Atari emulator for Android

JKK

Hi,

Just for simple curiosity, do you sometimes use Atari emulator on smartphones just for having fun with old games? Is Colleen the only reasonable option here? Has anyone tried to compile it with the newest version of Atari800 emulator?

Btw, let me allow you to invite to have a look on my newest video, about Android emulators of ZX Spectrum, Atari, Commodore.

*** Can three legendary computers be put in one pocket? Taken effortlessly on vacation? Used for fun on the way to school or work? Let's check it out! Amazing devices still provide great 8-bit entertainment, only now on smartphones! It's definitely worth to watch this video! ***

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX9sj8OoK2Y

8 hours ago, Yautja said:

There we go again...

Thank you for your very valuable comment, my dear security guard. :P Do you comment like this all posts here with links? Or only selected according to your top secret and very sophisticated algorithm?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, JKK said:

Do you comment like this all posts here with links? Or only selected according to your top secret and very sophisticated algorithm?

My algorithm reacts to your pathetic promotion strategy.

And yes, my comments equal the "sophistication" of the post...

- Your bodyguard- ?

• Haha 2

:P

Seriously, I understand that the subject of this thread and/or my video might not fit to everyone. However there are other so many other interesting threads thus I count here only on comments of people who are interested in this area and on comments concerning my questions. Thank you for understanding.

XEmu65 is android port prepared by one of Polish developers. At the beginning he was quite enthusiastic and the project seemed to be very promising. However suddenly everything was "cut" and AFAIK there are no any changes since many months. The emulator is still in beta version. I tried to run some games using XEmu65 and Colleen and my choice was still the second one. However as I find XEmu 65 as interesting I put link to it in my video description (since the beginning, not after your comment, btw XEmu65 is available on Play Google Store). Not sure what caused that XEmu65 author suddenly stopped working on it. On one Polish forum I've found sth about some health problems but not sure how much it was reliable. Still it would be nice if he continue work on XEmu65. Especially that Colleen seems to be also abandoned. There is no any new version since years. Atari800 emulator was upgraded few times since then and Colleen still uses old Atari800. Some time ago I even tried to write to Colleen author but he didn't answer.

Concluding I have impression that Atari fans still are waiting for good and regularly updated Android emulator...

Edited by JKK
  • Like 1

Simply both things have different target groups. YT video was prepared not for guys spending long hours every week wanting to find some new information about 8-bit computers they love. It was rather for wider audience. Moreover with this video I wanted to make interest teenagers with 8-bit computers. That's why it's a bit crazy (even if I'm not sure if I hit the point). Basing of the statistics of my small channel, the interest in the group <35 years is extremely low (between 25-34 years old I have only 1% of viewers, and below 25 years old just zero percent, sure it's my channel statistics but somehow it can be interpolated to some general conclusions that younger generation is not interested in 8-bit devices).

And the thread here was created with intention to exchange information with 8-bit geeks. Sure it's never 0/1 and some things from one area might be interested for another target group and vice versa. It's never like that that each piece of gear fits all.

Its not that they are not interested but the simple fact is that most people who look at say an old Atari used that machine at a much younger age, its a rediscovery. Much younger folk never knew these machines so rarely go looking...

I'm not saying there isn't a percentage that do like to see what the old tech was like, there certainly is but in real terms its a minority..

Edited by Mclaneinc

6 hours ago, Mclaneinc said:

Its not that they are not interested but the simple fact is that most people who look at say an old Atari used that machine at a much younger age, its a rediscovery. Much younger folk never knew these machines so rarely go looking...

I'm not saying there isn't a percentage that do like to see what the old tech was like, there certainly is but in real terms its a minority..

Agreed. My guess is, something like this in terms of “8-bit market size”

Atari < C64 < Nintendo

and mostly that has to do with a combination of the year of release and mass marketing success (the C64 was heavily discounted at large and popular retail stores near the end of its era)

Apple II probably fits somewhere between Atari and Commodore

Depends on the country but the C64 had and still does have a huge user base (me being one of them), the Atari in the UK was less so and the machines like the Spectrum being very popular here in the UK but pretty unknown states side.

Not sure where to place the Apple...

But in terms of convincing the young to join that channel, I would not hold out much hope on that..To most of the younger people we are just old farts (and fartettes) who used some crappy old bit of gear.

4 minutes ago, Mclaneinc said:

But in terms of convincing the young to join that channel, I would not hold out much hope on that..To most of the younger people we are just old farts (and fartettes) who used some crappy old bit of gear.

I'm afraid that you might be right... Just was trying... For me Atari was always a big love thus I would like somehow to share this interest. But that's probably like being Don Quixote...

On 5/23/2021 at 6:19 PM, JKK said:

Just for simple curiosity, do you sometimes use Atari emulator on smartphones just for having fun with old games? Is Colleen the only reasonable option here? Has anyone tried to compile it with the newest version of Atari800 emulator?

I bought that Atari collection they have on Android (2600 and arcade games), but I don't play it very much. It's a cool collection, but it's hard to play with a touch screen, and I gutted my iCade to use for other stuff.

1 minute ago, Asaki said:

I bought that Atari collection they have on Android (2600 and arcade games), but I don't play it very much. It's a cool collection, but it's hard to play with a touch screen, and I gutted my iCade to use for other stuff.

I use iOS but probably you can just connect a Bluetooth controller to your phone. Nowadays most apps use APIs that allow connection to Playstation and Xbox controllers, amongst others.

19 hours ago, Asaki said:

What about the gamepad which is visible in my video? For me it's very convenient for playing, even if it doesn't fit all smartphones. It's called doogee gamepad g1.

4 hours ago, JKK said:

What about the gamepad which is visible in my video? For me it's very convenient for playing, even if it doesn't fit all smartphones. It's called doogee gamepad g1.

It will definitely not fit my tablet ?

I thought it would at least be fun for some of the trackball games, like Centipede, but I had not yet realized how much worse capacitive touch screens are than resistive ones.

I don't regret supporting them, but if I want to play portable Atari, I already have a Nintendo DS, two Flashback Portables, and the BitBoy PocketGo.

Btw, do you know how the screens which looks like capacitive but allowing using normal gloves (not special smartphone ones) works ? Are they pure capacitive but just there is huge signal amplification? Or is that some kind of mixture capacitive/resistive screen?

On 5/24/2021 at 1:14 PM, JKK said:

Concluding I have impression that Atari fans still are waiting for good and regularly updated Android emulator...

Argon will be getting both 5200 and 8-bit (800/XL/XE/XEGS) support... It isn't in the public beta yet... You'll know it is imminent when I start posting some teaser screen shots on social media ;-)

• Thanks 1