IGNORED

Favorite 2600 games?

Defender1771

Hi guys!

I am new to the forums and have recently been getting back into collecting for my Atari 2600 jr.

I have the classics such as Asteroids, Space Invaders, & Defender, but have recently purchased Solaris and it has quickly become one of my all time favorites.

What are your favorite 2600 games? And do you have any recommendations for games similar to Solaris?

Thank you!

• Like 1

There are not a lot of games similar to Solaris, but here they are:

Starmaster - Activision title with a star map, first person shooting, and light strategy elements. No planetary sections

Star Voyager - Imagic. Very basic. Just a first person starship shooter with little strategy and no map. Not recommended.

The Earth Dies Screaming - CBS. See Star Voyager but slightly more fun.

Star Raiders - Atari. Similar to Starmaster, with better combat and a much worse star map. Needs a special controller in P2 slot to work

Phasor Patrol - Arcadia Supercharger game. Very good. Excellent graphics, great map, and fun. Probably the closest to Solaris in play, t hough still, no planetary sections

Radar Lock - Atari. This game actually uses the Solaris game engine, but is very different in play. Kind of plays like a more strategic Afterburner, with the second joystick controlling missles. Multiple enemies, awesome planet segments, guns, missles and in flight refueling. Everybody forgets this game exists, and they shouldn't, it's GREAT. 

Edited by Lord Thag
  • Like 3

Space Attack is another one that is somewhat similar to Solaris. Gravitar is a unique and challenging game you might like. Some other good ones to start out with that won't set you back an arm and a leg are Frostbite, Enduro, Jr. Pac-Man, Frogger and Moon Patrol. There are tons of good ones out there, depending on what kinds of games you prefer. And don't forget to check out some of the great homebrews.

These are the ones I'm actively playing these days, but I'm still exploring and learning more games that seem so exciting!
Asteroids-Style:
ASTEROIDS, SPACE ROCKS, SUICIDE MISSION
Classic:
COSMIC ARK, DIG DUG, JOUST, LASER BLAST
Defender-Style:
DEFENDER, DEFENDER ARCADE, KILLER SATELLITES, STARGATE, SUBTERRANEA
Fixed Shooter:
ASTROBLAST, COMMUNIST MUTANTS, CROSS FORCE, DEMON ATTACK, GALAGON, GALAXIAN
GORF, LEAD, MEGAMANIA, PHOENIX, SPACE INVADERS, SPIDER FIGHTER
Maze:

ESCAPE FROM MINDMASTER, MINES OF MINOS, TUNNEL RUNNER
Maze Chase:
ALIEN, BANK HEIST, DARK CAVERN, JAWBREAKER, JR PAC-MAN
LADY BUG, LOCK N CHASE, MOUSE TRAP, MS PAC-MAN, PAC-MAN, PAC-MAN ARCADE
WIZARD OF WOR, WIZARD OF WOR ARCADE
Missile Command-Style:
ATLANTIS, COLONY 7, M.A.D., MISSILE COMMAND
Quest:
HAUNTED HOUSE, TUTANKHAM, ADVENTURE, DRAGONSTOMPER
First Person Shooter:
PHASER PATROL, ROBOT TANK, STAR MASTER, STAR RAIDERS, STAR VOYAGER
2D Arcade:
AARDVARK, REACTOR

Platform:
KEYSTONE KAPERS, MARIO BROTHERS, PITFALL

Side Scroller:
DOLPHIN, FATHOM, LASER GATES, SPACE JOCKEY, VANGUARD
Vertical Side Scroller:
BEANY BOPPER, CONQUEST OF MARS, FANTASTIC VOYAGE, RIVER RAID
Isometric:
RABBIT TRANSIT, BOING
Berzerk Style:
BERZERK, MARAUDER
Others:
FROGGER I, FROGGER OFFICIAL, CHETIRY, GYRUSS

Two-Player Duel:
COMBAT, WARLORDS, SPACE WAR, OUTLAW, TENNIS, MEDIEVAL MAYHEM, VIDEO OLYMPICS, SURROUND, ARMOR AMBUSH

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/24/2021 at 7:08 AM, BONEMAN said:

Some games like Solaris are

Beamrider

Star Strike

Buck Rogers

I'm sure there are more. Some of my favorite games are

Yars Revenge

QBert

Kaboom

Buck rogers looked pretty cool!

I will keep my eyes open for it at a decent price on ebay.

Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just grab the Harmony Encore cart and load it with the entire Atari library. There are also some free homebrews you can download. For the homebrews that aren't free downloads, buy the cart here on AA, They are definitely worth the money.  A save key is also a fairly cheap accessory. Some homebrew games use it to save high scores and such, which is a fun feature to have. That's just my opinion, but I'm very happy with my Harmony and my save key.

• Like 3

Definitely check out the homebrews. There are so many that are exceptional. With a little hunting on the site, you should be able to find versions to put on a Harmony cart. Honestly, if you are new to the site, I'd recommend hanging out in 2600 programming to see what people are coming up with today. Following the development of these games is amazing. For example, if you like Defender, then look for Arcade Defender. Some brilliant programmer took the guts of Stargate/Defender 2 and demade it to match as close as possible the Defender found in the arcade. There are at least half-a-dozen playable revisions. One of my favorite games to play Dr. Who vs. the Daleks based on Berzerk. Another is Galagon, a remake of Galaga that is amazing. Star Castle, Arcade Wizard of Wor, and Venture Reloaded. All amazing. And holy crap if you like Warlords, track down Medieval Mayhem.

If you fell in love with the 2600 and its original library, homebrews will make you fall in love all over again. And because you can follow the development of so many of these games, it's like a long-lasting honeymoon.

Something to match Solaris is going to be hard though, because it was one of the latest and most complex games. I remember I got mine when I bought a replacement Jr. somewhere around '87. As others have mentioned, Beamrider, Moonsweeper, and Star Master would probably be the most similar that I've played. If I wanted just the space combat, I'd go with Star Master. Radar Lock will probably look the most similar to Solaris since they were released around the same time, but I don't remember playing it much. Another space combat game I like is Tac-Scan. I'd watch a video or play a rom before buying it though since its gameplay is a little different.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 8/16/2021 at 2:06 AM, JasperAK said:

Definitely check out the homebrews. There are so many that are exceptional. With a little hunting on the site, you should be able to find versions to put on a Harmony cart. Honestly, if you are new to the site, I'd recommend hanging out in 2600 programming to see what people are coming up with today. Following the development of these games is amazing. For example, if you like Defender, then look for Arcade Defender. Some brilliant programmer took the guts of Stargate/Defender 2 and demade it to match as close as possible the Defender found in the arcade. There are at least half-a-dozen playable revisions. One of my favorite games to play Dr. Who vs. the Daleks based on Berzerk. Another is Galagon, a remake of Galaga that is amazing. Star Castle, Arcade Wizard of Wor, and Venture Reloaded. All amazing. And holy crap if you like Warlords, track down Medieval Mayhem.

If you fell in love with the 2600 and its original library, homebrews will make you fall in love all over again. And because you can follow the development of so many of these games, it's like a long-lasting honeymoon.

Something to match Solaris is going to be hard though, because it was one of the latest and most complex games. I remember I got mine when I bought a replacement Jr. somewhere around '87. As others have mentioned, Beamrider, Moonsweeper, and Star Master would probably be the most similar that I've played. If I wanted just the space combat, I'd go with Star Master. Radar Lock will probably look the most similar to Solaris since they were released around the same time, but I don't remember playing it much. Another space combat game I like is Tac-Scan. I'd watch a video or play a rom before buying it though since its gameplay is a little different.

Does Venture reloaded need a special file to run on the Harmony?  My Harmony just hangs when I load the ROM.

8 hours ago, christo930 said:

Does Venture reloaded need a special file to run on the Harmony?  My Harmony just hangs when I load the ROM.

Maybe your file is corrupt?  I don't recall having any issues with it.  Try DLing the ROM again.  Just a guess.

Edited by GoldLeader
Edit: I have a Harmony Encore.
  • Like 1

My Favorite is Dark Cavern!   Also love Midnight Magic, Pitfall, Yars' Revenge, Phoenix, Vanguard, Adventure...And I recommend trying many homebrews.  Things like Space Rocks and Star Castle Arcade, plus a ton more...See other people's suggestions there....There's so many more homebrews I'd buy if I had money right now ;)     And IMHO a HARMONY is a MUST! 

Cheers!

• Like 5

8 hours ago, christo930 said:

I think you need a Harmony Encore. Check your ROM in something like Stella to make sure it is ok. I think there are a few homebrews that require the updated Harmony Encore, but I can't remember what it does that the previous one doesn't.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, GoldLeader said:

My Favorite is Dark Cavern!   Also love Midnight Magic, Pitfall, Yars' Revenge, Phoenix, Vanguard, Adventure...And I recommend trying many homebrews.  Things like Space Rocks and Star Castle Arcade, plus a ton more...See other people's suggestions there....There's so many more homebrews I'd buy if I had money right now ;)     And IMHO a HARMONY is a MUST! 

Cheers!

I forgot about both of those. Amazing games.

• Like 1

Welcome to Atari Age!

I don't play the 2600 so much anymore. I can still whip up some faves though:

TAZ: a really clever use of a looney tunes license. Taz is very fun and challenging, also being quite thematic for the character.

Demon Attack

Galaxian

California Games (the BMX is super addictive!)

Dragonfire

Front Line

Cosmic Ark

• Like 3

7 hours ago, JasperAK said:

I think you need a Harmony Encore. Check your ROM in something like Stella to make sure it is ok. I think there are a few homebrews that require the updated Harmony Encore, but I can't remember what it does that the previous one doesn't.

I have the Encore version, but a lot of ROMs give it problems and some will work with one 2600 and not another.  I know Star Castle Arcade has a special version needed to work with the Encore (which is the one I have).

• Like 2