IGNORED

List of 5200-only titles still not available for 8-Bit computer lineup

BIGHMW

Well I feel awfully bad for those who own an 8-bit 400/800/XL/XE/XEGS because while they may have thousands of titles available, there ARE some that are still not available to them that only 5200 owners can play, so here is the list (not very big but significant enough nevertheless considering the titles) of titles that they do not have on 8-bit:

Castle Blast (2002)

Combat 2: Advanced

Haunted House II 3-D

Gauntlet

Klax

Atari Tris

Irata's Quest

Tempest (AtariAge 2012 finished version not the prototype)

Intellidiscs

Xari Arena (AtariAge finished version not the prototype)

Hangly-Man

Pac-Man Plus

Yar's Strike@playsoft's new and improved conversion that he made for us last year (NOT the version Homesoft "transferred" back to 8-bit as that one does not have the moving galaxy of stars, and, it still has the bugs in the even numbered waves, the ones with the rotating shields that playsoft ironed out on his great 5200 version).

I just wonder when @Albert is going to offer these same titles for 8-bit owners to get like we 5200 owners have been spoiled with for years, and while true we 5200 owners may not have all the 8-bit games, but, we do have THE BEST GAMES!!! But when they become available for 8-bit I'll certainly splurge the $$$ to get them!!!

Edited by BIGHMW

On 5/28/2021 at 7:14 AM, miker said:

Every 5200-ROM available to public can be translated into 8bit machine (well, except those which require analogs to play).

I would be more affraid otherwise. ?

I DO have the 5200 ROMs for all these games, it's just 1) I don't have any computer knowledge on doing 5200-to-8-bit port conversions (or vice versa) and 2), I don't want to be kicked off the forums (I have a great track record and want to stick to it) for leaking the ROMs out I DO have as that would constitute "piracy".

On 5/24/2021 at 1:47 PM, BIGHMW said:

Well I feel awfully bad for those who own an 8-bit 400/800/XL/XE/XEGS because while they may have thousands of titles available, there ARE some that are still not available to them that only 5200 owners can play, so here is the list (not very big but significant enough nevertheless considering the titles) of titles that they do not have on 8-bit:

Castle Blast (2002)

Haunted House II 3-D

Gauntlet

Klax

Atari Tris

Irata's Quest

Intellidiscs

Hangly-Man

Pac-Man Plus

Yar's Strike -

Wait -- are ANY of those actual, "normal" retail 5200 titles, as opposed to homebrew/modern releases?

I assumed there were some 5200 exclusive titles, but that list makes it sound like Atari didn't release any unique software for the 5200.

15 hours ago, Stephen said:

Wow - just like clockwork, another one of these posts.  Do you set a timer so you can remember to ask weekly?

I'm sure that @DavidD is one of many who want to see all of those titles released/re-ported to the 8-bit computers too, as do I.

I will indeed PM Albert tomorrow afternoon with a suggestion to not only release them for the 8-bit but also as ROM files (for both 5200 and 8-bit systems) too.

• Confused 1

15 hours ago, Stephen said:

Wow - just like clockwork, another one of these posts.  Do you set a timer so you can remember to ask weekly?

28 minutes ago, BIGHMW said:

I'm sure that @DavidD is one of many who want to see all of those titles released/re-ported to the 8-bit computers too, as do I.

I will indeed PM Albert tomorrow afternoon with a suggestion to not only release them for the 8-bit but also as ROM files (for both 5200 and 8-bit systems) too.

Aren't they all homebrew/protos, though?  Hence my original question -- I didn't think there were 5200 exclusive retail titles.

42 minutes ago, DavidD said:

Aren't they all homebrew/protos, though?  Hence my original question -- I didn't think there were 5200 exclusive retail titles.

There were 5200 exclusive titles starting with Countermeasure. There were also versions of arcade ports that were exclusive to the 5200 like Centipede. 

1 hour ago, phuzaxeman said:

There were 5200 exclusive titles starting with Countermeasure. There were also versions of arcade ports that were exclusive to the 5200 like Centipede. 

(time to boot up Atari Flashback on the Switch...)

I have a 5200 somewhere in the closet...

On 5/24/2021 at 3:47 PM, BIGHMW said:

Castle Blast (2002)

Haunted House II 3-D

Gauntlet

Klax

Atari Tris

Irata's Quest

Intellidiscs

Hangly-Man

Pac-Man Plus

Yar's Strike@playsoft's new and improved conversion that he made for us last year (NOT the version Homesoft "transferred" back to 8-bit as that one does not have the moving galaxy of stars, and, it still has the bugs in the even numbered waves, the ones with the rotating shields that playsoft ironed out on his great 5200 version).

I just wonder when @Albert is going to offer these same titles for 8-bit owners to get like we 5200 owners have been spoiled with for years, and while true we 5200 owners may not have all the 8-bit games, but, we do have THE BEST GAMES!!! But when they become available for 8-bit I'll certainly splurge the $$$ to get them!!!

Why should you feel bad for the 8bit owners about some of the 5200 games not being on the 8bit lineup?  There are many 5200 owners that don't own the Mean Hamster games like Combat II and Haunted House.  

Not to sound like I'm bragging, but I literally have over 1000 games on my 8bit.  There's more than enough titles on the 8bit. 

Albert has nothing to do with actually porting of games.  That's on the programmers and the people that own the rights to these games.  Albert is the one that has to do with selling them. 

I used to follow your youtube reviews.  But now, your posts are all about conversions of porting 5200 games to 8bit and it got old long ago.  You're also asking people to release owned rom files. 

#fortheH

Edited by phuzaxeman
  • Like 2

Uhm... Gauntlet has been on the 8bit for ages.  In fact I didn't know it was on the 5200. 

As I own both the 5200 and many Atari 8bits, I mostly think the 5200 should get ports that are from the 8bit, but are better off with analog or trackball controlls with multiple buttons!  Like Spy Hunter kind of sucks on the 8bit because you have to use a second joystick for the alternate weapons. 

Personally, if someone ported F-15 Strike Eagle or figured out how to cram Flight Simulator II onto the 5200, I would give them a testicle or something.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/9/2021 at 8:05 AM, phuzaxeman said:

I used to follow your youtube reviews.  But now, your posts are all about conversions of porting 5200 games to 8bit and it got old long ago.  You're also asking people to release owned rom files.

Yeah, maybe you're right about that.

I HAVE been doing some serious thinking about some of my posts, and @phuzaxeman is right, it seems like ever since discovering the world of the 8-bit computer (through both the 65XE I got on November and the XEGS in December) that I seem to have gotten out-of whack with wanting everything 5200 on them too, thinking that htey would work better if not the same on both, because they incorporate the same technology......... WRONG.

I forgot that some 5200 games just wouldn't work right on the 8-bit and was a bit naive on the significant differences between the two of them, as some games work better on Big Sexy than they would on the XEGS. Games like Space Dungeon, Robotron and the twin-stick mode of @Ryan Witmer's masterpiece Intellidiscs almost scream for the 5200 and the 5200-exclusive twin controller holder in which is impossible to replicate on 8-bit, in a way I have listened to all of you and indeed heard you loud and clear, and I'll just let the systems those games are originally on just be on those systems, because those games are designed to optimize those specific systems' features.

...and with that, I'll just play the games on whatever systems they are originally ported onto, and refrain from the "wish list" threads and also learn how to use an Atarimax dumper for the carts and not ask any of you to do it for me. Time for me to call up Best today and get that second CX52 stick and 2 CX24 7800 sticks, and that'll be my order of 3 from Best for this week. It's time I rediscover why I have had Big Sexy since 1983, and the great games she has for her.

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

It's easy to get excited with all the amazing new homebrews coming out.  But I really think the only game that benefits from being on the 5200 is Star Raiders due to the analog controls.

....and the combined CX52 joystick/keypad is a whole lot easier to use than the separate joystick and computer keyboard scheme on the 8-bit version, I wouldn't know which key activates what function (attack computer, shields, hyperspace, galactic chart, etc.) compared to the ease of the CX52's 5200 keypad with the overlay onboard (I still have a set from an old Star Raiders cartridge I had)

....and yes, I DID just get off the phone with Best Electronics and ordered my allotment of three items, the new Rev. 10 CX52 stick (my second so now I have a set of two and I'll finally be able to enjoy Space Dungeon and Robotron the way they were intended to be played for the first time IN YEARS!!!) and also a couple of CX24 sticks as well, and next month I'll order my next allotment of three and get a couple of CX30 paddles and an RCA-to-PAL cord for my RF-to-HDMI demodulator as well.

I'll take photos of my order (and yes, I'll remember to cross out my shipping address for security reasons such as you all suggested) when it comes in. I had to speak slowly to him, but he was (once again) great to deal with, I let him know my AtariAge user ID and that I previously bought from him (a gold CX52) a few years back, but once again a great job. :) 

Edited by BIGHMW
spelling error
  • Like 1

Just now, Stephen said:

Glad to hear your order went through OK, there's been a lot of complaining regarding that lately.  Have fun - dual stick Robotron is the only way to play.

Well we'll find out, they still haven't debited my bank account yet, but anyhow I'll probably get my Best Electronics order number and ID number when my shipment comes in so it'll be a whole lot easier to order next time and every time.

9 hours ago, Stephen said:

It's easy to get excited with all the amazing new homebrews coming out.  But I really think the only game that benefits from being on the 5200 is Star Raiders due to the analog controls.

There's quite a few significant games that benefit from analog controls.  Star Raiders, Centipede, Super Breakout, Galaxian, Star Wars, Pole Position, Real Sports Baseball, etc. 

Edited by phuzaxeman
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, phuzaxeman said:

There's quite a few significant games that benefit from analog controls.  Star Raiders, Centipede, Super Breakout, Galaxian, Star Wars, Pole Position, Real Sports Baseball, etc. 

Yup, I have all of them, and yes, even though they were all given the "Glenn The 5200 Man" treatment and converted to the 8-bit BITD, they most certainly played significantly differently, it's a good thing I have both, and that also the 8-bit ports of Robotron and Space Dungeon are just not meant for use on them, the 5200 and the twin-CX52 controller holder and control scheme make a huge difference.

Also RealSports Baseball benefited from the CX52's analog controls with the various pitches and also fielder selection as well as your bat-swing at the plate. As a young man playing this I always wanted to be the visitors as they wore blue and being from L.A. originally back then I was a die-hard Dodgers fan growing up so that's why.

Today the visitors in blue are the Mariners now that I have been here in the Northwest since 1987 (age 21)

10 hours ago, BIGHMW said:

Yup, I have all of them, and yes, even though they were all given the "Glenn The 5200 Man" treatment and converted to the 8-bit BITD, they most certainly played significantly differently, it's a good thing I have both, and that also the 8-bit ports of Robotron and Space Dungeon are just not meant for use on them, the 5200 and the twin-CX52 controller holder and control scheme make a huge difference.

Also RealSports Baseball benefited from the CX52's analog controls with the various pitches and also fielder selection as well as your bat-swing at the plate. As a young man playing this I always wanted to be the visitors as they wore blue and being from L.A. originally back then I was a die-hard Dodgers fan growing up so that's why.

Today the visitors in blue are the Mariners now that I have been here in the Northwest since 1987 (age 21)

Realsports Baseball was ported?  So if you're playing a game like Baseball and you want to bunt (5200 stick you move the analog stick half way), how do you do that on the 8bit?  Or if you want to throw an away curve ball (keypad and analog stick), how does that work on the 8bit?

Edited by phuzaxeman

1 hour ago, phuzaxeman said:

Realsports Baseball was ported?  So if you're playing a game like Baseball and you want to bunt (5200 stick you move the analog stick half way), how do you do that on the 8bit?  Or if you want to throw an away curve ball (keypad and analog stick), how does that work on the 8bit?

I believe I have a port in my 8 bit files, I'm currently on my tablet so when I fire up my laptop and find it I'll post it up here but yes I do believe it's on there

Realsports Baseball.xex

Edited by BIGHMW
to include the ROM in response to the question

• 2 weeks later...