IGNORED

What stores in Canada sold the Jaguar (back in the day)?

WozzyCat

In Winnipeg there was a small business that sold Jaguars called MicroPlay. This was back in the mid nineties before EB Games came to Canada. I'm pretty sure most big chain department stores (Zellers, Future Shop, etc.) did not support the Jag.

• Like 1

Do you recall when you saw them at Giant Tiger? Were there any games?

It presumably would been at the very end of their commercial life when whoever owned the (Canadian) warehouse full of Jaguar hardware was desperately trying to squeeze the last few pennies from it, so around 1997. 

I don't believe there was an official Canadian distributor - several independent game stores had them, but they were importing them as far as I know.

When they first were released, I asked a Microplay store to get me one and they said they weren't going to buy anymore until Atari figured out the problem with the cartridge slot. According to this guy, a lot of the first consoles produced were having issues with pins in the cart slot getting bent during normal use.

Late 1990's, a Canadian company called Dentec clearanced them online at severely discounted prices with a limited selection of titles.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jhd said:

Do you recall when you saw them at Giant Tiger? Were there any games?

It presumably would been at the very end of their commercial life when whoever owned the (Canadian) warehouse full of Jaguar hardware was desperately trying to squeeze the last few pennies from it, so around 1997. 

From what I remember it was indeed when they were clearing them out at the end. If I remember right there was an ad pamphlet listing the Jag for like 80 bucks. 

Besides Winnipeg MicroPlay, I recall spending a summer vacation in London, Ontario. Must have been 1995. Went to a flea market one day and saw a Jag with Doom set up on a big CRT.

So yeah, very small presence in Canada. For that matter, I don't recall seeing much of the other console either. 3DO, Turbo Grafx, Neo Geo, Cdi, etc.

• Like 1