IGNORED

The Arena Football cartridge

WozzyCat

I surmise the Arena Football 95 cartridge was an unfinished game. For those of you who have it, is it unplayable or partially playable, what are your thoughts on it?  I do have the Troy Aikman NFL football cartridge for the Jaguar, which I assume is the best gridiron football game released on the Jag.

1 hour ago, WozzyCat said:

I surmise the Arena Football 95 cartridge was an unfinished game. For those of you who have it, is it unplayable or partially playable, what are your thoughts on it?  I do have the Troy Aikman NFL football cartridge for the Jaguar, which I assume is the best gridiron football game released on the Jag.

It's playable and fun but I'm not sure how close to finish the game is.

• Thanks 1

It’s very playable and a lot of fun. It has glitches - colors on the jerseys sometimes change making it really hard to tell what’s going on! But I really like the high speed nature of it compared to Aikman. It’s not obviously better than Aikman and it’s obviously not 100% finished, but it’s well worth picking up from B&C if you like football video games and want something a little different. 

Here’s a good video:

I really like Brett Hull Hockey from them too. That one seems further along and almost complete. Still haven’t bitten the bullet on Shut Up and Jam.

• Thanks 1

I spent about an hour with it tonight after posting that. I did see a lot of freezes or the game getting locked in a loop. In four or five games, I was not able to complete one. I swear I could before, but it's possible I didn't.

After each touchdown, there is no extra point attempt (or is that an arena football rule?). I assume it's because they didn't implement field goal kicking. Instead the ball gets kicked down to the opposite end zone and the team that scored needs to kick it for a return. Except a couple times it didn't change teams and it instead became possible to immediately score again.

Tackling is really slippery and the AI is bad. Sometimes tackles look like they're playing touch football and sometimes it seems that there's just nothing that can stop a player no matter how many defense players are in front of them.

Most touchdowns are very long runs. When I played "coach" (no direct player control, just play picking), my team could not score at all. When I played, I mostly scored by running the ball with the quarterback when the other side left half the field undefended.

Anyway, it's still mysteriously fun, at least to me. But it is a lot more broken than i remembered.

• Thanks 1

The Gridiron Breakdown:

The AFL The NFL
Field 85 feet wide, 50 yards long, for a faster, higher-scoring affair 160 feet wide, 100 yards long
Goal posts Nine feet wide with a 15-foot high crossbar 18 1/2 feet wide with a 10-foot high crossbar
Roster 20-man rosters; eight men on the field 53-man roster; 11 on the field
Scoring Mostly the same as NFL, but a successful drop kick earns two points on the extra point and four points as a field goal Hey, even your five-year-old nephew knows this: 6-pt TDs, 3-pt FGs …
Rebound nets Kickoffs and passing plays that bounce off the nets are still in play What rebound nets?
Passing Just like in NCAA, receivers only need one foot inbounds Both feet inbounds
Punting Not allowed. You gotta man-up and go for it on fourth down Wimps go three-and-punt
Overtime 15 minutes, with at least one guaranteed possession for each team 15-minute sudden death
  • Like 1