IGNORED

RE: Code Veronica - the best version of the original formula IMO

awbacon

I mean don't get me wrong...I love RE 1 and 2, but Code Veronica was the culmination of the old formula for me. Still full survival horror with similar gameplay elements to the originals while innovating on the formula. I really thought this was the direction RE was going to go. I expected 4 to be a bigger and better CV. 4 was awesome but it felt like the line in the sand between the RE we were getting and the RE we would be getting moving forward

IIRC (has it really been 20+ years??), I had to completely restart CV after getting to a mini-boss battle in an airplane cargo hold at the end of the Disc 1.  I found myself stuck in that fight with no way to backtrack and completely out of ammo.  I just had to start over and be better about conserving ammo so that I could be ready for that fight.  The game was/is just so graphically beautiful that I didn't particularly mind, but those sort of game-stopping scenarios just don't crop up anymore - which I think is for the best.  I never played the GC version so perhaps they addressed the ammo issue.  Still a fantastic game and was a real showcase for the Dreamcast when it came out.

If you ask me, had I known about the knife glitch sooner, I wouldn't have had to restart myself the first time through.  The knife glitch can help save ammunition in the long run.  Not to mention, the green herb glitch that I learned about awhile back can help too.  If you can hold off on performing it until you've had the chance to mix a blue and red herb with a green herb before performing it, then you'll really be set.

• Like 1

On 5/25/2021 at 1:50 PM, glazball said:

IIRC (has it really been 20+ years??), I had to completely restart CV after getting to a mini-boss battle in an airplane cargo hold at the end of the Disc 1.  I found myself stuck in that fight with no way to backtrack and completely out of ammo.  I just had to start over and be better about conserving ammo so that I could be ready for that fight.  The game was/is just so graphically beautiful that I didn't particularly mind, but those sort of game-stopping scenarios just don't crop up anymore - which I think is for the best.  I never played the GC version so perhaps they addressed the ammo issue.  Still a fantastic game and was a real showcase for the Dreamcast when it came out.

yeah 21 years...wild to think about. BUt yes the ammo situation can become tricky for sure

Wow, I don't normally find myself in this position, but just like with Rez - I'm not with you on this.

I loved Resident Evil 1-3, and even found a way to play the non-US version of Survivor with the light gun.  I never bought a Dreamcast when it was new, but Code Veronica was the game more than any other that made me want one.  However, when I did finally play Code Veronica on PS2, it became the game that convinced me that the Resident Evil format had run its course.  It was still all there just like the first games, but I was tired of opening inventory boxes and playing quartermaster while tanking my way to a fight with another bulbous creature that had slightly more pixels than the ones in the last game.  It is also very long compared to the others.  As a RE superfan, that seemed great at the time but proved to be a disadvantage.  I actually pulled out RE2 and did some of the HUNK challenges when I finally quit playing CV for good.

On 6/1/2021 at 8:53 AM, wongojack said:

Wow, I don't normally find myself in this position, but just like with Rez - I'm not with you on this.

I loved Resident Evil 1-3, and even found a way to play the non-US version of Survivor with the light gun.  I never bought a Dreamcast when it was new, but Code Veronica was the game more than any other that made me want one.  However, when I did finally play Code Veronica on PS2, it became the game that convinced me that the Resident Evil format had run its course.  It was still all there just like the first games, but I was tired of opening inventory boxes and playing quartermaster while tanking my way to a fight with another bulbous creature that had slightly more pixels than the ones in the last game.  It is also very long compared to the others.  As a RE superfan, that seemed great at the time but proved to be a disadvantage.  I actually pulled out RE2 and did some of the HUNK challenges when I finally quit playing CV for good.

lol that's ok. You don't have to agree. CV is definitely one of the most derisive RE games ever made. I love it but I could see how others aren't into it 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Code Veronica was developed alongside Nemesis and was slated to be Resi 3, but Nemesis was finished first and got that moniker instead. I loved RE and RE2, but Nemesis left me cold so I never bothered with CV and dialed out until RE4 came along on the GameCube which was a different take on the whole RE thing. CV sat on my shelf unplayed until I got my DC out of the loft when I fell out of love with the PS3 and 360. Then I realised what an absolute gem of a game and a much more natural sequel it would have been to RE2.

It pains me that once again when they did the excellent remaster of RE2 they then went straight to Nemesis again and didn't give CV any love at all.

• Like 2

I agree that CV would have been a much more natural sequel to RE2.  Nemesis always felt like the add-on that it started out as.  But I liked it at the time.  It was kinda arcade-y.

I think CV just kinda fell in a weird gap in terms of timing, and when I finally got to it, I couldn't appreciate it.  Maybe if I had waited X more years like @juansolo, I would have had a different impression.

On 6/18/2021 at 1:35 AM, juansolo said:

Code Veronica was developed alongside Nemesis and was slated to be Resi 3, but Nemesis was finished first and got that moniker instead.

"Nemesis" got called Resident Evil 3 because Sony had exclusivity on the name.

Code: Veronica is a great game, to be sure. It was the technical pinnacle of the pre-RE4 "fixed screen" games and was a compelling game in its own right. It did have a kind of spin-offy feel for me, though. I don't know whether that was because it was on Dreamcast when all the "main" games were on PlayStation, or that the story and characters took us far away from Raccoon City, or that its style was much more Gothic, or because of the weird-ass f@#$in' Ashfords, but Code: Veronica contrasted starkly from RE and RE2. Regardless, it is actually a better sequel to RE2 than RE3 (which incidentally also felt like a spin-off...because it actually was a spin-off!) ended up being. RE3 was a perfectly fine game, but aside from a few new wrinkles to the gameplay and some quality-of-life improvements, didn't really do anything new or advance the lore. C:V moved the series forward...and also made me want a Dreamcast! ?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, BassGuitari said:

Code: Veronica is a great game, to be sure. It was the technical pinnacle of the pre-RE4 "fixed screen" games and was a compelling game in its own right

You think so? I thought Zero was more impressive. It still looks amazing today. I'll have to try out CV again, the last time I played it was when it was new on the DC.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Punisher5.0 said:

You think so? I thought Zero was more impressive. It still looks amazing today. I'll have to try out CV again, the last time I played it was when it was new on the DC.

Eh, you might be right. ? Forgot about that one, actually. Thinking on it some more, RE for GameCube might take the cake for me for most technically impressive old-school RE game--Zero didn't really grab me and I only played through it once many years ago, but it was impressive. C:V blew me away when it came out, though, especially coming from the PS1 games (which were already awesome for their time). It still looks great!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BassGuitari said:

Eh, you might be right. ? Forgot about that one, actually. Thinking on it some more, RE for GameCube might take the cake for me for most technically impressive old-school RE game--Zero didn't really grab me and I only played through it once many years ago, but it was impressive. C:V blew me away when it came out, though, especially coming from the PS1 games (which were already awesome for their time). It still looks great!

Ahh....I was wondering if you forgot about Zero. Yeah REmake looks amazing too. Im still hoping that one day higher color backgrounds are found for RE2. It would be amazing to play that game without the PSX color limitations.