IGNORED

68882 FPU

11 hours ago, MasterMotorola said:

Mike, yes Motorola made a 50Mhz 68882 FPU.  I was considering getting one until I found out the CaTTamaran overclocks the FPU as well so there would really be no speed boost.

The problem I’m having is my FPU is not stable over clocked.  I have even tried a 40 mhz version, but no luck. I would love to find a 50 mhz version to fix this problem. Otherwise I will have to make a small mod and run my FPU at 32 mhz. 

Right with ya. I've got a 40mhz 68882 in my Pak 68/3 equipped STacy and in

some of the benchmarking threads in other forums I was requested to run

Nembench because of some odd results I got.

Can't. It fails, so it seems I have a faulty 68882.  :(

(even though Gembench, and all the other software runs fine with no crashes. This

includes software that uses an FPU. Go figure)

3 hours ago, mdivancic said:

More than likely it is not faulty, we are just trying to make it do something it was never designed to do.

Be nice to think that but the testing software they asked me to use (NEMBENCH, by Douglas Little) works

fine on other people's setups, including Pak boards... :(

NEMBENCH is not benchmarking software per se - it actually tests the 68882/1, if I my understanding of it is

correct.... (of course, I get things wrong all the time)

4 hours ago, DarkLord said:

Be nice to think that but the testing software they asked me to use (NEMBENCH, by Douglas Little) works

fine on other people's setups, including Pak boards... :(

NEMBENCH is not benchmarking software per se - it actually tests the 68882/1, if I my understanding of it is

correct.... (of course, I get things wrong all the time)

NEMBENCH looks like it’s just a benchmark program from a quick search of the forums. Can you step the speed of your setup down and test? I’m sure it’s a speed issue with the FPU. While there are plenty of people who run there FPU at 48mhz, there are many who can’t. My 33 mhz and 40 mhz FPUs both run for hours at 32 mhz. Neither will run at all at 48mhz. 

My bad...I've been running so many bench marking tests lately that I

got NEMBENCH confused with FPUTEST.

FPUTEST is the one that fails on my setup. It's supposed to test the

FPU, not benchmark it.

Sorry about the confusion.  :(

Unfortunately, with the Pak 68/3 boards, you are supposed to run the CPU and FPU at the same speeds.

So I'm running the 68030 at 40mhz....you get the picture.

With the Pak board, you change the CPU, FPU and oscillators, matching them all up to the same mhz. That's

what's recommended.

When/if I take my STacy apart I can play around with different speeds. Taking a STacy apart is not a light

undertaking.   :)

3 hours ago, Chri O. said:

Interesting FPU conversation.

Does anyone knows if this will work in my Atari ST/e ( ICD AdSpeed STE 16MHz ).

20210528_205245.thumb.jpg.7f88d86d2c181c971358e0ffa1871222.jpg

Can't find online manual for ICD AdSpeed STE ?

Probably yes. The 68882 is asynchronous and can have a different speed then the 68000. The AdSpeed for STe is missing the oscillator so you also need to fit that. So you could probably have 20MHz oscillator in there for the 68882. Or 32MHz or 50MHz if you have faster 68882.

• 1 year later...

Okay I'm sorry I bumped up old thread.

Took me one year to get this FPU finally installed and all I see is few Atari ST/e bombs when I try to run DarkLord fputest prg.

PIC Before FPU installation.

NOTE:  The 16 MHz clock was installed already  (not sure if I did this back in the day 1990 ? ).

image.thumb.jpeg.048d685f8cbcf3965fe898ad0ce72bcc.jpeg

PIC After FPU installation.

image.thumb.jpeg.709b6f00794d84e835da93a0fa4627fe.jpeg

Unfortunately does not seem to work, I'm guessing this is what you get when you buy stuff on eBay from China. 😒

ST/e MB. PIC.

image.thumb.jpeg.41ff0b091a499d296e4a6858275e9934.jpeg

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Chri O., could it be that the software will only recognise a 68881 FPU and not a 68882?

On a side note, I just noticed that your realtime clock is installed internally.  Great idea!  I always hated now much the ForgetMeClockII stuck out of the cartridge port.  This mod may be the next thing I do to my STFM.

At this point everything is possible but my last test was on brand new MC68881RC20B that came with the nice blue plastic holder (see the floppy drive). I'm probably going to look for more software to test this.

I even removed the FPU and try to debug some of the traces and the 16Mhz clock signal on my oscilloscope.

STE FPU 3.png

DS1104Z_30-10-2022_15-55-29.7.png

• Like 1