IGNORED

Firehose reparation

gferluga

That appears to be just shielding - make sure the ribbon cable is okay.

I know that where the cable attaches to the actual card can likely be repaired (if you cut back the firehose cable past the damage), but I have no idea how to re-mount the cable onto the connector - it's a strange crimp type connection.

Yes, if the ribbon cable is intact, then you can cut and lay a piece of tin foil, about 5he size of the damaged area. Then get some windshield urethane and a putty knife and carefully cover the wound. Then let it cure and it should still be flexible enough to use quite well. Or get another in face card with cable attached.

I see at least four damaged wires in there. Your best bet is to cut off about 10-15 cm of the cable, peel back enough of the shielding to allow reconnection in the connector, and carefully crimping the wires into the same positions as they were with the original connection. It is a lot of careful work, but it should work fine when you're done. I've seen several such repair jobs at the console end and one full removal at the PEB end (that person never completed the job, but I still have both parts of that one).

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

It was not so bad of a repair to make on the PEB end but you need to be very patient in getting the wire within the blue wire race holder.  Then holding it in place put pressure on the blue wire holder to lock it into each wire crimp. I took only about 2.5 cm off of my flex cable since you can tell where it had flexed too often, breaking the wire. The ribbon cable and firehose material cuts easily with scissors. Once positioned ensure that the wire is seated in the connector firmly.

73FEC9A5-7C0F-4A36-AB11-EFF079742CCA.jpeg

• Like 4