IGNORED

Ultra Vortek is pretty awesome

captainblack

Yep. You are correct, I guess his point might of bean both game suck no defence button, as I was telling him 64 bits vs crappy 16 bits, plus w/ the Jag cd I now have 128 bits, vs his measly sega genesis 

I'm surprised no use of the 6 button controller, the problem with vortex, is block doesnt always work, as half the time it just makes the character move in the opposite bite direction and run away, if you get block to work you still loose a. bunch of energy.

Hey, thanks haven't had this jag out to play in a while, 

16229095216565335237077893682417.jpg

Back in 1995 there was a scripted martial arts tournament fighting show on TV (geared toward kids) called WMAC masters. I was just checking out clips of it and periodically there is a narrator who sounds like virtually the same voice as the announcer in Ultra Vortek.  Here's a link where you can hear the WMAC narrator speak a little bit over 15 seconds.  

The characters in this show like Hakeem the Machine would probably have fit in well with Ultra Vortek.  In fact, some of the characters on this show were portrayed by martial arts actors like Ho Sung Pak, who also did sprite captures for Mortal Kombat 1 and Thea Realm Fighter. Kind of seems like a small world for non-celebrity martial arts actors in the mid 90s.

On 5/28/2021 at 7:10 PM, 7800JAGFAN said:

Its fun, but as mentioned above, Lucius is unbeatable if you spam his special move.  

You can also break the game by just "bunny jumping" around randomly. The game has issues to register collisions corectly. It's hair raising stuff! My brother trolled me with this cheap tactics while we tried out the 2 player mode. A fighting game with a broken 2 player mode is unforgivable. And that became appearant after 5 minutes! I think even KN was more playable than UV. 

On 6/4/2021 at 4:56 PM, Schmudde said:

Ultra Vortek is a good fighting game. It doesn't have the balance of Super Street Fighter II or Mortal Kombat 2 or 3, but it is certainly better than the original versions of these games.

Crafting a fighting game is a delicate art. It's not something you get perfect the first time around. Beyond Games were talented developers, but it's their first fighter AFAIK.

While imperfect, it has a distinct aesthetic style and some memorable characters. I never struggled with the controls, but I've also put a lot of hours into fighting games. Maybe that's why. So yeah - I loved this game.

Early magazines called it Ultra Vortex. Is this a case of the magazines just getting it wrong? Or was there some IP conflict? Does anybody know?

MK was way better playable and had a working 2 player mode. Also, the first Street Fighter was from 1987. So no excuse for UV, a game that was developed 8 years later!

There are a lot of debut fighting games that just copied SF2 and did fairly well. Both KN and UV failed to copy MK, mostly lacking a solid fighting engine. Both are pretty, but that's it.