IGNORED

Which Will Come Out First Poll

First To Come Out Poll  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Which will make it to market first?

• Analogue Pocket
    • Blaze Evercade Vs
    • Intellivision Amico
    • Nintendo Switch Pro
    • Playdate
    • Polymega
  2. 2. Which will make it to market last?

• Analogue Pocket
    • Blaze Evercade Vs
    • Intellivision Amico
    • Nintendo Switch Pro
    • Playdate
    • Polymega

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/10/2021 at 10:40 PM

On 9/28/2021 at 12:24 AM, Flojomojo said:

Has anyone ever seen a PlayStation 5 or Xbox Series X for sale on store shelves? Seems like the kind of thing we would see stacked up at Costco by now. 

Same goes for Evercade. Is that mail order only? 

Analogue and Polymega are hobbyist things like Everdrives, so I can understand those being online-only, but the absence/irrelevance of brick and mortar stores is interesting to me. 

Yep. I saw 2 PS5s several months ago. One was in Surugaya in Akiba for 74000 yen. The other was at this place close to Surugaya. You can see the PS5 box inside the case on the right side on this screenshot from Google maps.

無題.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, MrBeefy said:

Nice. That's exciting.

I'm not very excited about it as a fake Game Boy/Game Boy Color/Game Boy Advance since I can just use my real GBA SP for those if I want, but rather as a replacement for the PC Engine GT (I REALLY hope it can run PC Engine CD games. No reason for it not to be able to do so from the SD card, but...) and its potential to run games from other, non-handheld systems. It's powerful enough to do at least Genesis/Mega Drive/SFC/SNES according to kevtris (his post got deleted with the rest of the Amico section, but he did say that there), so being able to have all of those games on "real" handheld hardware is a very nice thing. If it can do that + Neo Geo, I will be extremely happy. I may end up retiring my Nomad in that case, but I don't know yet.

Edited by Steven Pendleton
  • Like 1

On 12/8/2021 at 10:01 PM, Steven Pendleton said:

I'm not very excited about it as a fake Game Boy/Game Boy Color/Game Boy Advance since I can just use my real GBA SP for those if I want, but rather as a replacement for the PC Engine GT (I REALLY hope it can run PC Engine CD games. No reason for it not to be able to do so from the SD card, but...) and its potential to run games from other, non-handheld systems. It's powerful enough to do at least Genesis/Mega Drive/SFC/SNES according to kevtris (his post got deleted with the rest of the Amico section, but he did say that there), so being able to have all of those games on "real" handheld hardware is a very nice thing. If it can do that + Neo Geo, I will be extremely happy. I may end up retiring my Nomad in that case, but I don't know yet.

I'm very interested to see if the hardware will be able to handle SFX and SA1 games. AFAIK the SuperNT still can't but since this can handle GBA it gives hope. Ohh and yeah AES would be amazing!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Punisher5.0 said:

I'm very interested to see if the hardware will be able to handle SFX and SA1 games. AFAIK the SuperNT still can't but since this can handle GBA it gives hope. Ohh and yeah AES would be amazing!

I didn't even think about that. I think it's some sort of space limitation on the FPGA or something like that that prevents the Super Nt from being able to do those chips itself, but I forgot. I think kevtris mentioned it somewhere in his thread, but I'll have to go digging for it.

Anyway, yeah, if the thing can do Neo Geo MVS/AES, I will be extremely happy. That would be really awesome. I don't know if the Pocket is capable of that, but if it is, I'd be surprised if someone didn't make a core for it.

I'm not sure about the SNES anyway, because I heard (but I'm not sure about that) that Pocket's FPGAs are "smaller" than Super Nt's (which was used to its fullest, hence no extra chip). If SNES is possible on Pocket, the second FPGA might perhaps be used for the extra chips, but I have no idea if it's technically feasible.

NeoGeo is easier though, because its architecture is actually simpler.

3 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

I'm not sure about the SNES anyway, because I heard (but I'm not sure about that) that Pocket's FPGAs are "smaller" than Super Nt's (which was used to its fullest, hence no extra chip). If SNES is possible on Pocket, the second FPGA might perhaps be used for the extra chips, but I have no idea if it's technically feasible.

NeoGeo is easier though, because its architecture is actually simpler.

It can definitely do SNES

https://web.archive.org/web/20211010103208/https://atariage.com/forums/topic/301105-independent-amico-discussion-thread/page/19/?tab=comments

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, digdugnate said:

I will admit I have a little sense of FOMO with the Pocket releasing and everyone raving about it.  :)  I'm content to read all the cool stories and experiences though for now!

The digital foundry video was good. I haven't watched samred's yet.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well looks like Steam Deck will be the next to make it to launch on February 25.

I think Playdate is sometime "soon" and the other one is still in limbo with some financial docs that doesn't paint a good picture.

Have any other new consoles been announced? @godslabrat you still doing that ruse spreadsheet?

• Haha 1

I was living in blissful ignorance of this other console since the noise had died down here on AA, but this made me look it up. Oh boy. That other (hateful) website has just put up another dissection of this fine mess.

This time it won't be so easy to handwave it away, since it's all about financial documents, but no matter. I'm pretty sure that elsewhere the band still plays on....

Band%2BPlaying%2BOff%2BTopic.png&f=1&nof

• Like 3

4 hours ago, youxia said:

I was living in blissful ignorance of this other console since the noise had died down here on AA, but this made me look it up. Oh boy. That other (hateful) website has just put up another dissection of this fine mess.

This time it won't be so easy to handwave it away, since it's all about financial documents, but no matter. I'm pretty sure that elsewhere the band still plays on....

Band%2BPlaying%2BOff%2BTopic.png&f=1&nof

A lot of eye-popping info in that latest SEC filing.  The inflated price of the console over the sum of its parts suddenly makes sense.  It wasn't even profit margin.  It was the need to cover an extremely bad $810,000 loan that stipulated $100 of every console sold needed to be paid to Sudesh Aggarwal until the load was repaid in full.  And, they need another 10 million (2 funding rounds of $5 million each) just to keep the company afloat for another 7-9 months?

• Like 3