IGNORED

Looking for an ABBUC member north of the Aldi equator

slx

Sorry for this rather unusual request but the ABBUC forum is down. 

If there's an ABBUC member living north of the Aldi equator who would be able to forward a 15-18kg package from Aldi to Austria for me, I'd be grateful if he/she could contact me via PM or mail.

(Explanation: Aldi is a German discount chain and the two brothers who founded or inherited the company divided it into a "Northern" and "Southern" chain long ago, probably because they could not agree on how to run it). I'd like to order some BBQ accessories from their online service that are only available from the "Northern" branch (and apparently nowhere else) but they don't ship abroad and their division of the German market is so strict that they won't deliver to addresses in southern Germany where all the forwarding services are located close to the Austrian border.)

• Like 1

ALDI is also in South Florida, and the logo is the right-side (that would be Aldi-south)...

Strange story about how the same business brand would get differentiated and split in two geo. zones... like a Walmart from North and Walmart from South, with also different product line-ups. Not sure how that would survive in the US, though...)

Trader Joe's is also here. but they bring a bizarre supply-chain with them... the other day I checked their (regular) fish and found simple cuts coming from as far as ASIA (!) Plenty of fishing around Florida, no reason (whatsoever) to buy similar FL fish from such distant place! Even Chilean-supply is better option (!)

4 hours ago, manterola said:

According with the logo, at least here in the Washington DC area we are Aldi Süd. But Trader Joe's is part of Aldi Nord.

Probably not very convenient for slx anyway.

image.png.a3b5d6cce40fac680243d8ab7d7b75c6.png

For you in the US it's simple. Aldi branded stores belong to "Aldi Süd" and Trader Joe's belong to "Aldi Nord". 

@slx I can try to get your goods and sent them to you. PM me the details, please. 

BTW both Aldi are preparing a reunion. Many of the products are available on both "sides" now. 

Edited by pps
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Faicuai said:

Strange story about how the same business brand would get differentiated and split in two geo. zones... like a Walmart from North and Walmart from South, with also different product line-ups. Not sure how that would survive in the US, though...)

According to Wikipedia they most probably split over management style, one of the brothers preferring an off-handed and the other a micromanagement style. Another theory is that they couldn't agree on whether to sell cigarettes.

The brands have changed over the years, beginning as really bare-bones discount stores (which AFAIK Aldi North stuck to much longer than Aldi South) while they have now enlarged the number of items carried, added fresh fruits and vegetables, brand-named drinks like Coke (while they only carried their own brands well into the 90s) and - at least here - carry lots of organic food and attract buyers with "special merchandise" that changes twice weekly. 

BTW, to complicate matters, Aldi (South) is called "Hofer" in Austria and neighbouring Slovenia (but nowhere else) as Aldi took over an existing chain of stores and kept the name as Aldi was taken already....

image.png.63b122dc4c15bdd3ca9d3f1057c46d43.png

Thanks @pps and thanks everyone for indulging a discount retail discussion ;). Trader Joe's s sounds interesting, never heard of it before. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, slx said:

According to Wikipedia they most probably split over management style, one of the brothers preferring an off-handed and the other a micromanagement style. Another theory is that they couldn't agree on whether to sell cigarettes.

The Aldi Sued/Nord story is a bit similar to Puma vs. Adidas (two german brothers, Rudolf "Puma" Dassler and Adolf "Adi" Dassler). There is/was a funny tv-commercial of Twix (at least here in Germany), where Twix was made in two identical factories and they argued whether the "left Twix" or the "right Twix" was better - this commercial was making fun of either Aldi Sued vs. Aldi Nord or Puma vs. Adidas.

Here in the south of Germany Aldi Sued and Aldi Nord have already reunited, they still use the logo of Aldi Sued, but sell many articles of Aldi Nord (e.g. they sold Topstar-Cola of Aldi Sued in the past, but now they sell River Cola of Aldi Nord, etc.).

• Haha 1