IGNORED

I looking for keyboard support for the Jag

A long time ago, I did some tests directly interfacing a PS/2 mouse to the pad port ; PS/2 keyboards work very similarly. The discussion is on pages 2 and 3:

It basically works, but the issue is that the communication speed is controlled by the mouse/keyboard, so it's not easy to make it work without slowing down the game code. And the delays can vary a lot depending on the device. It may or may not be a realistic solution depending on what you want to achieve.

You can also use a microcontroller like @Matthias did, which solves this problem. But it's significantly more expensive and more difficult to build, so the audience for your game would be more limited.

What do you have in mind?

Edited by Zerosquare

It's not hard to solder another two on. All skunkboards have the wiring, and it's just through-hole soldering.

No promises, since I spend all my hobby time building more boards lately, but in theory mouse+keyboard should be pretty easy to add.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I loved the JagTOS project.   Now days I could get that going and play Zool.  :D

Read that webpage, looks like Matthias and all them had a 120 mb drive going.   I wonder how well it did run a lot of games.   Also not seeing a keyboard solution?   Mentions mouse but that is all I saw.

1 minute ago, doctorclu said:

I loved the JagTOS project.   Now days I could get that going and play Zool.  :D

Read that webpage, looks like Matthias and all them had a 120 mb drive going.   I wonder how well it did run a lot of games.   Also not seeing a keyboard solution?   Mentions mouse but that is all I saw.

I would imagine it would only run GEM based games, or some very simple TOS files that didn't bang anything on the hardware directly and sent everything via the TRAP calls.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, CyranoJ said:

I would imagine it would only run GEM based games, or some very simple TOS files that didn't bang anything on the hardware directly and sent everything via the TRAP calls.

I remember running Magic Mac which essentially ran the gem based stuff of the ST and not much else at the time.    Got that running on my Macintosh Performa 575 68040 machine.   I believe it ran a good game of NetHack ST which was entirely gem based.   I think also a game of solitaire.

There was other gem based things that would work (like the movie player, CAB the web browser, and other apps) but I remember that NetHack ST was one of the better games I got working.

A couple of years ago, I did a "minimal" port of microwindows, with just the video output. microwindows's examples "runs" just fine, I just wanted to give it a try.

But this is more a library, so one executable by "application"; one day I may try to add the audio, mouse and keyboard support.

Edited by dilinger