IGNORED

Season 11 ~ Weeks 17/18/19 ~ HomeBrew Weeks

Vocelli

Robot City - 1,629

I really like how the robots will shoot each other, makes for good strategy.

66061691-D037-4817-B0E2-DED8F2B6ECC8.thumb.jpeg.c4843d5d04e06f24cfb4ef7a15cd8ea8.jpeg

The End - 31,680

Big cramper this one, had to keep switching hands. I like that the enemies spell out END. 

EA9E81C2-391C-4CE8-BB6C-CAF83238AD13.thumb.jpeg.cbd4a8ac4bd6f2ede8894ec92fff5247.jpeg

Tower of Rubble - 132

I can’t say I’ve seen smoother animated movement in an Atari game. Pretty cool. 

2238341E-D77B-4B0B-B5F8-34D07E64C821.thumb.jpeg.eb054d4fe4029f9d8bb9a90a7fc9ce28.jpeg

Edited by fakecortex
Spelling
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

I talked about this the other week on the show. Where are people finding 11 year old Stella builds, on 3.5" floppies?

- James

image.thumb.png.7116808fe67b755c616a53a29d1fff30.png

Turned out I was previously running 2.3.5 , I shudder to think how old that is. As for how people get these builds, in my case it's just a case of having had it for a long time.

I discovered Stella many years ago (about 3 computers ago in fact ?). I've simply transferred it over to each new machine, and figured that there was no need to update an emulator for a machine that went out of production close to 30 years ago..,...... And until this week , that was true lol 

Edited by Jasonhrb

Hello Everyone !!

Here are some tips for THE END that can help you reach great scores:

* You will get double points for killing an Alien carrying a stolen brick.  

* The Aliens will always go to the right side of the screen when they are sent by the Mothership, so try to position your Spaceship there and start firing as soon as they appear.

* Watch for Aliens that make sudden stops because those are the ones that will steal you defense bricks.

* When there is only one defense brick left, position your Spaceship just below it and defend it as much as you can. The more you defend it, the more bonus points you will receive.

I hope you enjoy playing THE END as much as I did creating it ! Let's see those high scores !"

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

You couldn't be more wrong. :) And you must have missed a lot of great, modern homebrews that way. :sad: 

Yes and no. Yes, there have undoubtedly been good games I haven't played. But over the decade there have been thousands of good games on many platforms that I haven't tried. It's physically not possible to play them all in the time I have to devote to gaming.  Playing Atari games is first and foremost a nostalgia kick for me. My reason for wanting an Atari emulator is to replay the games I played as a kid (and those I wanted to try at the time but never did). Playing new games on a system that is almost as old as I am isn't generally going to make the priority list for the limited time I have to play games.

That's not to say I'm not impressed by what the homebrew scene creates. Playing this season of HSC has introduced me to four homebrew games (which is probably more than I have tried in the time I have had Stella), and each one has in it's own way been impressive. The skill and creativity that goes into them is remarkable, and I have enjoyed them all. The fact that the scene exists and is providing so much pleasure to so many people is frankly wonderful (there can never be too many forms of harmless fun in my book!), and I'm amazed by the skill of the people who make it possible ???

But on a practical level, there are only so many hours in the day, and I can't do everything that looks interesting. Homebrews are one of those things that are very neat, but that realistically I'm never going to really get into from a time perspective . . . . .which I guess is why I never noticed that my Stella build must now be knocking on for a dozen years old ?

• Like 1

Hi, here are some hints for pushing your highscore on Tower of Rubble - from the developer:

• The normal 1-player mode is deterministic, so it follows the same pattern each time you play it. If you keep getting killed at a certain point/time in the game, try to move to a different position/island the next time you're nearing that point. I.e.: If you got killed, next time move the other direction.
  • Try to position yourself at the highest point, as jumping down is faster than climbing up.
  • When you find yourself being killed in the middle of the screen by disintegrating/sinking rubble blocks from both sides, you need to perform the "island jump" to move to one of the islands left or right.
  • Before you do an "island jump", be sure that the destination island is at least 2 blocks wide, so you have a way to escape the falling rubble blocks.
  • The laser beams only kill you just before they disappear. When staying in the beams for a longer time, there are sometimes more ways to escape a "locking in" situation.
  • But sometimes the game still "locks you in", and you don't seem to have a chance. That basically means that you had to choose a different path (or run to a different "island") maybe even 30 seconds before you died. There is *always* a way out.
Edited by Dionoid
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

And some tips for Robot City:

• Before you start a new city (by moving your joystick), take your time and plan your strategy. Each city is different and may require different tactics.
  • Trying to make the iBots kill each other is very satisfying, but I found it often too risky and distracting.
  • Try to kill the iBots inside longer tunnels. And not at junctions, because the latter will block multiple paths and limit your options.
  • Try to isolate one iBots from the other ones by luring it into a certain area. So that you can kill it without getting interfered (or killed) by other iBots.
  • The movement of the iBots is quite predictable (with a little randomness added). Learn how they move towards you, so that you can predict and even control where they go.
  • If an iBot detects you being behind it, it will always try to user the next corner.
  • iBot shots are extremely powerful, dead iBots will not stop them.
  • If you find a city maze sequence too hard, do not start the game with RESET, because this will replay the exact same sequence. Instead used SELECT to go back to the title screen. This will create an all new city maze sequence.  
  • During the early cities you have plenty of time before running out of fuel, so there is no need to hurry. OK, except when you are going for a high score. :D 
  • Never kill an iBot in the top right corner (if you do and then get hit, you will find out why :)). 
  • While you are hunting one iBot, always have an eye on the other ones. Else many deaths will be the result on an unexpected attack.
  • Use the joystick diagonals for easier cornering.
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2