IGNORED

Season 11 ~ Weeks 17/18/19 ~ HomeBrew Weeks

Vocelli

7773 - Robot City: the strategic strategy game.

The laser effects from the ibots are excellent effect. Very memorable!

I noticed on some of my other runs that there were certain times that two of the units would not move. Mostly, the two left ones, but once it happened to the right ones, too.

I did kill an ibot in the top right corner and was going to report it as a “flaw”, but seeing it in the list above will just say: strategy. Yeah, don’t do it, especially after playing for 30 minutes.

0FD871DF-909E-445F-A484-7DAC930FE792.jpeg

• Like 2

The End: 49520

Robot City: 6939

Tower of Rubble: 299

I'll post videos in a week or two, after I spend more time in an effort to improve my score in all three games.

Great batch of games.  Thanks to all the developers for creating and sharing these games with us.

image.thumb.jpeg.8c6f8af79ffb083375058122d4e489f1.jpeg

image.thumb.png.ed57d01ea85585b655aa3ea42b5b29c5.png

image.thumb.png.2adbcd318ee485c5949b1af09779d016.png

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, McCallister said:

The laser effects from the ibots are excellent effect. Very memorable!

Thanks. They are modelled after the O2 prototype.

I noticed on some of my other runs that there were certain times that two of the units would not move. Mostly, the two left ones, but once it happened to the right ones, too.

That happened to me once too. Since I wasn't able to recreate it, I thought it might be terrible rare. But now that it happened to you, it seems like a serious bug. 

Could you still kill the stuck ones? Or did they have a wall behind them, so that the the bug effectively ended your game? 

Also, if you are playing with Stella, please create and post a save state when it happens again. Thanks in advance!

BTW: Great score! ?

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch

1 hour ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

That happened to me once too. Since I wasn't able to recreate it, I thought it might be terrible rare. But now that it happened to you, it seems like a serious bug. 

Could you still kill the stuck ones? Or did they have a wall behind them, so that the the bug effectively ended your game? 

Also, if you are playing with Stella, please create and post a save state when it happens again. Thanks in advance!

It's happened to me at least four times. Unfortunately, I am not playing on Stella and didn't think to grab my camera for it. I am using a Harmony Encore with whichever version is posted here in the high score club.

So, the first time this happened, it was a one off and yes, I could kill both ibots, which was honestly kind of fun, since they weren't hunting my helicopter. This happened around level 8 or 9, because I lost my last life on level 12. In this case, the two left most ibots froze.

On another run through, around the same level 9, the two right most ibots froze. Shortly after I noticed, I was killed by one of the others and when I started again, the rightmost ones were unstuck and left most ones were now frozen. This time, they could not be killed, because the right one was facing towards my helicopter and the other one was in the corner. The ibot did not shoot when I approached it.  The only way to proceed was to lose a life, so that's what I did.  After losing that life and starting again, the two left most ibots were still frozen, but this time facing away from the helicopter. I was able to complete the level and proceed along without incident the rest of the game.

That last time was three times in row of frozen ibots. I thought perhaps it had something to do with a joystick input as the level starts, but I honestly have not been able to replicate it since and I've played multiple games.

Hope this helps!

I'll offer a couple tips.

For "The End", I noticed that only the pink/red and the yellow/blue aliens grab blocks, and after they pick up a block, they are upside down and have a different shape (I think of them as "frogs" because they appear to have eyeballs on the top of their head).  I make more effort shooting these ones down to slow down the pace at which they spell "The End".

For "Robot City", if you can kill a robot in the middle of a longer path in the maze, you can sometimes lure another robot toward you such that it will run into the dead robot and be forced to turn around.  Once it starts turning around, it's safe to enter it's path and shoot it once it has completely turned around.

I have not seen the "frozen robot" issue, but I do record all my game play.  I will keep an eye out for it and share the video if I ever do see it happen.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, kermit73 said:

For "Robot City", if you can kill a robot in the middle of a longer path in the maze, you can sometimes lure another robot toward you such that it will run into the dead robot and be forced to turn around.  Once it starts turning around, it's safe to enter it's path and shoot it once it has completely turned around.

That's a really good tip.

27 minutes ago, kermit73 said:

I have not seen the "frozen robot" issue, but I do record all my game play.  I will keep an eye out for it and share the video if I ever do see it happen.

Thanks.

9 hours ago, kermit73 said:

For "The End", I noticed that only the pink/red and the yellow/blue aliens grab blocks, and after they pick up a block, they are upside down and have a different shape (I think of them as "frogs" because they appear to have eyeballs on the top of their head).  I make more effort shooting these ones down to slow down the pace at which they spell "The End".

Yes, that will slow them down and you will also receive 120 points for killing a yellow/blue alien and 200 points for a pink/red alien when they are carrying a block !! 

• Thanks 1

Quick game of Robot City before bed and nabbed myself a new pb. I like when I can knock off the bots quickly and get a nice timer bonus, very satisfying. At one point, I had one life left and found myself almost out of time ? Because of the placement of the dead bots, plus the intersections, the bots kept spinning around and it really becomes a game of maneuvering them to go where you want them by placing yourself just right. Just gotta remember not to get too close. Two thumbs up ????

Robot City - 2,499 lvl 15

1F30A086-7A12-4363-8813-BB5B5909837B.thumb.jpeg.8484e2d0787e3af3126dab6e4134a46a.jpeg

• Like 3

17 hours ago, fakecortex said:

Holy moly @kermit73. Guess it was only a matter of time. Very nice. What round did you get to?

My 13k+ game ended on level 81. I wondered if the level rolls at 100 (or maybe resets at 127 or 255) or if there is some level the robots reach their max speed. I may continue playing to try for these level milestones some point.

I definitely got into a rhythm with this game, wondering how long I could or wanted to keep it going (it was getting late and I needed to be up early the next day). Once I got too arrogant, things fell apart. I am impressed with the variety and challenge associated with different mazes.  It's not like Ms. Pacman or other games which just repeat the same one or two mazes at the higher levels.  With this game, at some point after feeling invincible, a maze configuration comes along that puts you in your place.

There were a couple rounds where I accidentally trapped myself or a robot in a corner limiting options to get the last kill before time runs out. This is obviously something you want to avoid, but becomes harder as the robot speed increases. I will try to get a video of the game posted in the next day or two.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, kermit73 said:

I wondered if the level rolls at 100 (or maybe resets at 127 or 255) or if there is some level the robots reach their max speed.

I could tell you. ;) 

I definitely got into a rhythm with this game, wondering how long I could or wanted to keep it going (it was getting late and I needed to be up early the next day).

If it becomes too easy, try variations 4 or 5. :evil: 

I am impressed with the variety and challenge associated with different mazes.  It's not like Ms. Pacman or other games which just repeat the same one or two mazes at the higher levels.  With this game, at some point after feeling invincible, a maze configuration comes along that puts you in your place.

Thanks. Getting variety into the game was a major goal for me. That's why I added a maze generator.

I will try to get a video of the game posted in the next day or two.

Cool! Looking forward to it.

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch
  • Like 1