IGNORED

A collection of Atari BASIC benchmarks

I've created a little GitHub repo with text versions of various Atari BASIC benchmarks. You can cut-and-paste them into Atari800Mac, and I assume most other emulators too.

If anyone has a "more original" version of the Byte Sieve I'd love to add it. Wilkinson's version merged lines together, which makes the program run (marginally) faster, and has other changes which make it less useful for head-to-head comparisons with other platforms.

24 minutes ago, Maury Markowitz said:

Did you just cut and paste the DEF FNs?

DEF FN are emulated by use of [global-variable assignment, gosub, return] and [final local-variable assignment] if actually needed.

Performance penalty for Atari would be up to 50% increase of exec. times (as measured DEF FN() vs. emulated in Microsoft Basic II), but can be compensated with interpreter's efficiency of handling Gosub / Goto. In any case, results will be on the conservative siide.

FNs (and everything else) have been placed exactly on same locations and line #s (and same functional scope) as original source. Still, you will be pleased with results... (BasicXL, Altria Basic or Turbo Basic). String-rotation routine is already a walk-in-the-park (and efficiently implemented) in Atari Basic.

Overall, I am already getting a global index that goes from 209 to 240, and no compiiled code involved yet.

28 minutes ago, JKK said:

It would be interesting to compare the results with Action! and assembler...

I will also upload here a well laid-out and 6502-optimized (but totally portable) versions of Sieve... One is the canonical Byte-version, and the other is the Wiki-version, with optimized (quadratic) inner-loop. Both time x10 runs, as expected.

Pure, pretty, and abundantly-documented ASM code, fully portable to Apple. Commodore, etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Maury Markowitz said:

Yes please!

Here (in SDX format / mode):

Scratchpad-DOS-90K-AA.ATR

Quick notes:

1. Bench64.LST is Atari-text version. Rest are Atari Basic (thus TurboBasic-XL) and Basic-XL versions. FN-test (DEFN vs. emulation) runs on MSB2  (provided only for reference purposes).
  2. Atari Macro Assembler code:
    • Sieve-2G conforms to Wiki's algorithmic definition, with quadratic inner loop, yielding in 1028 primes out of 8191-cells array. 
    • Sieve-3E conforms to Byte's algorithmic definition, having been hand-optimized for 6502 (conforming to 16-bit arithmetic's at every possible turn).
    • Sieve-4A conforms to Byte's algorithmic definition, originally written for Apple-II, and hand-ported by me to Atari Macro-Assembler.
    • Sieve-5A DOES NOT conform with any of the above algorithmic definitions, and it is highly optimized in many ways. Also from Apple-II records.
    • Timing and Prime counts registers in Page-0 are documented on source-listings, per names above.
    • All of these are PORTABLE to any 6502-based system, provided that a minimum of Page-0 regs. and RAM are available.

Have fun!

10 hours ago, Maury Markowitz said:

No joy, "Error: No DOS". Did I miss a step?

No, you did not.

It is just that SDX images are not bootable, because they expect SDX already booted (from ROM) on your host machine or session.

Just grab Altirra emulator, and go to "TOOLS -> DISK EXLPLORER" and extract any files you may wish....

...Or you could just plug a SDX image as cart and boot it with Altirra (on XL mode), and access the .ATR mounted as D1:

On 5/28/2021 at 7:35 PM, JKK said:

AFAIK Atari Basic was terribly slow. It would be interesting to compare the results with Action! and assembler...

There are certainly Atari Basic variants where these problems were addressed. Basic++ is one of them. The two causes for the slowness were the rather inconvenient BCD arithmetics of the MathPack, and the line number search which was just a linear search from start to end.

On 5/31/2021 at 6:00 AM, thorfdbg said:

Basic++ is one of them

In cased you missed the question above, I asked because I had already attempted running Bench64 on Basic++ 1.08 and it actually fails to run (with Altirra FP pack or XL-extended FP pack). On the other hand, Altirra Basic, Basic XL and Turbo Basic all run the test, successfully.

I wonder what exactly is needed to get that benchmark running on Basic++ 1.08

7 hours ago, Faicuai said:

I wonder what exactly is needed to get that benchmark running on Basic++ 1.08

That would surprise me. Where's the image to test with ("above" is probably not precise enough). From the github repo:

AHL: 9.699E-03 / 5.170723 / T=45.5

Broucke: 503.543595 / 1.23 / T=7.68333333

Dolkus: 1000003 / T=9.35

RG1: T=1.1

RG2: T=3.76666666

RG3: T=11.9666666

RG4: T=13.4833333

RG5: T=14.9533333

RG6: T=22.7533333

RG7: T=31.7166666

RG8: T=9.17166666

Sieve: 1899 / T=142.33333

Thus, it seems everything is in fine working order.

Details, please?

On 5/30/2021 at 8:33 PM, Faicuai said:

Just grab Altirra emulator,

Love to, but it doesn't run on my Mac ?

I'll go find a SDOS cart. I couldn't afford a floppy when I was a kid, so DOSes are new to me.

...up and running. Ok, how do I output to a text file? TYPE BENCH64.LST >>PRN produced a file called PRN within DOS, so I assume the whole ">>PRN" redirect only works for DIR or I can't get the syntax right. Ahhh, so for DIR its >>PRN, and for TYPE its >>PRN:. Makes perfect sense ?

Edited by Maury Markowitz

55 minutes ago, thorfdbg said:

That would surprise me. Where's the image to test with ("above" is probably not precise enough). From the github repo:

I'd like to start collecting times from various basics for another file in the repo.

Can you tell me the conditions for these times? Which emulator (or machine), math pack and version of Basic++?

Edited by Maury Markowitz

51 minutes ago, Maury Markowitz said:

when I was a kid, so DOSes are new to me

Same here (early times), but was always in contact with them (by other means), and eventually found them indispensable, though.

I will sort this out for you. I will add the .TXT file format, here.

FYI, I do have multiple files / tests hand-and-cleanly coded, selected over the years...  I will try to get some of those for you, as well.

I put your version of scruss's test in the repo, thanks Faicuai!

I added a new RESULTS file to the repo. I ran all tests stock for Rev C using Atari800Mac. Ahl is off by 1 or 4 seconds depending on which machine you compare to, 400/800 or 1200XL. That's interesting.

If anyone has a hardware version of the 400/800 and 1200XL it would be nice to get those in there too, I am curious if the changes are due to the emulator or are just weird measurements in the original source. For instance, shouldn't the 400/800 time be identical to the 1200?

Running through other versions now... BASIC XL, XE and Turbo to follow.

1 hour ago, Maury Markowitz said:

I put your version of scruss's test in the repo, thanks Faicuai!

Got prepared something special for you, this time on auto-boot "duped" Atari Dos 2.5 ?

Scratchpad-DOS-90K-III.ATR

Quick summary of what you will find (and how to have fun):

1. System-level (all loadable and executable through DUP.SYS Loiad-file facility):
    • XE03IFPE.REX: soft-loadable XLXE OS, with Altirra's FP-pack, high-performance E: accel., and dormant 1200XL DMA / Keyb. control recovered.
    • XE03IFPX.REX: soft-loadable XLXE OS, with extended FP-pack (taking Int'l char. set), and dormant 1200XL DMA / Keyb. control recovered.
    • ATBAS157.REX: soft-loadable Altirra Basic v1.57, auto-start via OS-boot manager (good for OS XL 2/3/4, Q-Meg4.04, OS/b, OS/n and Alt 3.31)
    • RESET.COM: XL/XE and Incognito-compatible Warm-Start, returning control to ROM-based OS and user memory-space.
    • GOCARTS.COM: OS-manager return to soft-loaded cart. images (like ALTBAS157.REX, after issuing "DOS" command).
  2. Benchmarks:
    • BENCH64.BAS / LST: as already posted above.
    • FPTEST34.BAS / LST: general, "baselining" [PRECISION & SPEED] index, which yields ~1.00 on Atari Basic + OEM FP pack.
    • FPTEST38.BAS / LST: Atari-Basic optimized SIEVE benchmark, algorithmically compliant with WiKi's canonical ("quadratic") optimization.
    • SIEVEACT.BAS / LST: Atari-Basic optimized SIEVE benchmark, algorithmically compliant with BYTE's classical definition.
    • PCW TESTS .IBA/BAS/LST: classical battery of Basic tests, for OSS Integer Basic and Atari Basic. File "PCWTESTS.LST" can be ran directly to show summary for five (5) different Interpreters / Environments (results have been pre-recorded and organized to simply show them per "test group", user-selectable).

Basic++ 1.08 CANNOT run Bench64.bas to completion, in presence of XE03IFPE and XE03IFPX OS-loads, and not even OS/b with Newell FastChip. At least, I have not been able to find the right settings or procedure to get it working here, but Altirra Basic and TurboBasic work like a charm.

Have fun!