IGNORED

Late Amiga Games (1993-1998?)

SlidellMan

I started this because I was wondering, "What were the last commercially released games for the Amiga?" I know that Psygnosis released Wipeout and Wipeout 2097/XL on that platform. Therefore, as a former Amiga owner, it was time to start a discussion on the late releases for the system.

• Like 1

Yep, Wipeout 2097 was a big one, probably the most demanding of all since it absolutely required a PPC processor and a 3D graphics card, thought the original Wipeout wasn't released on the Amiga. To be fair, there were still commercial releases going on until early in the '00s, so I'm including some of them here:

There were some other big notable ones though that are worth checking out, some ports from the PC like Wipeout, but others genuine Amiga original gems:

- Descent: Freespace (PC port). Requires an 060 & 3D acceleration or PPC.

- Earth 2140 (PC port). Requires an 040 (realistically an 060) or PPC and a graphics card. Expansion pack for the Mac also works for the Amiga version.

- Shogo: MAD (PC port). Requires PPC and a graphics card.

- Payback. Amiga original GTA clone. Requires an 040, but realistically an 060 and graphics card. The last Amiga game I bought in a bricks-and-mortar shop (an Amiga store in Berlin in 2000). Really excellent game with a great soundtrack, some nice gameplay and 4-player split screen versus mode.

- Napalm. Amiga original RTS. In theory requires an 020 but realistically requires an 040 or 060 and graphics card. Steep difficulty curve but excellent game.

- OnEscapee. Amiga original platformer inspired by Flashback. Requires AGA or a graphics card.

- Exodus: The Last War. Amiga original RTS. Requires an 030 and AGA, realistically an 040 and graphics card. Gentler difficulty curve than Napalm and some nice ideas, but not quite as well polished.

- T-Zero. Amiga original horizontal shoot-em-up. Requires AGA, squeezes a lot out of the machine for impressive results.

And, of course, Quake 1 and 2 also got commercial releases before the open-source ports. Q1 requires an FPU and realistically an 060 and graphics card. Q2 requires a PPC, 64MB of RAM and realistically a graphics card.

And there were others that didn't make themselves quite as memorable, but still, there was enough of a dedicated fanbase with souped-up Amigas to warrant commercial releases up to 2002 or so.

Edited by Daedalus2097
  • Thanks 1

Looking at Lemon Amiga right now, and I am amazed and bewildered at what the Amiga got in its later years that wasn't from Psygnosis or DMA Design.

https://www.lemonamiga.com/games/details.php?id=2144 - Bubble Heroes

https://www.lemonamiga.com/games/details.php?id=3640 - Heretic 2

https://www.lemonamiga.com/games/details.php?id=2153 - Tales From Heaven

https://www.lemonamiga.com/games/details.php?id=2577 - Land of Genesis

Granted, a lot of these aren't very good.

Yeah, some were distinctly homebrew in terms of quality and content later in the Amiga's life, but there are still a few worth checking out. The list posted are games I have myself and have played a fair bit. Bubble Heroes and Heretic 2 are pretty well regarded, though I haven't played them myself.

• Thanks 1

At this hardware complexity level (the accelerated AGA & PPC) bedroom coding becomes quite a task. And the user base was dwindling rapidly, hence the small number of commercial releases, and the fact that most of the decent ones are ports.

But between 1993-96 there was still quite a few quality releases for the "classic" Amiga, eg: Ishar 2-3, Dreamweb, Beneath The Steel Sky, Pinball Illusions, Benefactor...

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, it can be done easily with assembly, which is how most games would have done it I guess, but any language with hardware access capability will be able to do it. I wrote my own CD32 reading routing in Blitz Basic for example. If you can peek and poke a couple of registers and do a bitshift, you can read a CD32 pad.

• Like 1