IGNORED

Bravo Sierra Computer's Ben Smith

gilsaluki

51 minutes ago, Allan said:

Interesting. I stand corrected. I just assumed there was not considering the cost. Media mail can bring up issues though because of all the restrictions it has.

There are certainly restrictions with media mail including that video games aren't covered (I ship movies which are covered).  That is of course if your package is opened and inspected.  Computer software however is covered.  Video games, specifically floppy discs would skate through no issue.  Cartridges technically not.  But again, doubt it's a real issue.  

Hello guys

Hmmm.  Two guys with huge amounts of Atari stuff are showing strange behavior.  What does that mean to those of us who own more than one Atari and one medium to save data on...

Sincerely

Mathy

PS don't tell your partners.  We don't have to give them a reason for trying to get us to get rid of our beloved computers...

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Mathy said:

Hello guys

Hmmm.  Two guys with huge amounts of Atari stuff are showing strange behavior.  What does that mean to those of us who own more than one Atari and one medium to save data on...

Sincerely

Mathy

PS don't tell your partners.  We don't have to give them a reason for trying to get us to get rid of our beloved computers...

Ben might have a room of stuff at best. Brad has a big warehouse of stuff.

• Like 2

Hello Allan

3 minutes ago, Allan said:

Ben might have a room of stuff at best. Brad has a big warehouse of stuff.

Something tells me you are taking this more serious than I meant it to be.  ;-)

Sincerely

Mathy

1 hour ago, Mclaneinc said:

Like most I detest that website, its an abomination in today's slick and easily searchable sites but as you say, would he let someone do a stocktake and catalogue all his gear, almost certainly not...

Still much better than the text catalogues Bravo Sierra currently uses, and that myatari.com/B&C used until the Windows XP machines used to keep track of prices/stock levels crashed several years ago.

35 minutes ago, Mathy said:

Hello Allan

Something tells me you are taking this more serious than I meant it to be.  ;-)

Sincerely

Mathy

No. Sorry to give that impression but I see the smiley. It's one of the things I do not like about the Internet. So much gets lost in a conversation over the Internet that is seen and mostly understood in a in-person (or phone) conversation. But I do see people being a little harsh (or at least a little lazy in their communication) about Ben. I do understand people's point of view as a customer but it's important to understand the situation Ben's in. For example I do believe he doesn't even have a cell phone nor any means of taking a picture and sending it to them, which is for many people, incomprehensible.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, BillC said:

Still much better than the text catalogues Bravo Sierra currently uses, and that myatari.com/B&C used until the Windows XP machines used to keep track of prices/stock levels crashed several years ago.

Come on. It adds to that retro feel. ?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 8bitguy1 said:

For example on my last order from Best I got an Atari Basic Revision C for no other reason than it fills a hole in my collection, I'll probably use it nonce.

By a strange coincidence, that's been my go-to item for making up the minimum with Best - and I've always ended up ordering something else instead at the last minute.

Let me know if you decide at some point that you're no longer interested in keeping it around; I could use one to replace the Rev. A I'm currently using with the 1200XL.

• 1 year later...

He was very nice guy,  I placed a few orders in the past year and enjoyed talking atari stuff with him.  It was because of him, I was able to pretty much complete my atari book collection.  He had a ton of atari st books (at original 1980's prices) that I wasn't able to find anywhere else.

2 hours ago, Savetz said:

According to http://atarisales.sdf.org

"Ben Smith, owner of Bravo Sierra Computers has passed away. We are all saddened by our loss."

Sad - I just heard a few hours ago and also posted.  I hope somehow if he does have family, they can be made aware of the messages to him.  Apologies for the duplicate thread.

Ben was a nice, if not eccentric guy. I have a few Ben stories to share, this one will be brief.

The last time I visited him in-person a few years back I remember walking into his apartment and being in awe of all the boxed games on shelves in his living room. Rows of shelves with Atari games. I was there to pick up some 8-bit games and a couple of ST monitors so we went back into his bedroom where he kept his monitors. His bedroom closet was fully stacked -- floor to ceiling -- with monitors. No room for clothes in there! His bed was COVERED in Jaguar games, complete in-box! I asked him how he slept and he just laughed without answering. What a character! 

R.I.P. Ben!

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

I hope his lifelong work does not get thrown out as trash.  It's happened too many times in the past, recently with a guy that had perhaps the single largest collection of tubes.  When he passed, his family didn't want to deal with the "trash", and a priceless stash of vintage tubes was lost forever.  It's not like this stuff will ever be made again.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Stephen said:

I hope his lifelong work does not get thrown out as trash.  It's happened too many times in the past, recently with a guy that had perhaps the single largest collection of tubes.  When he passed, his family didn't want to deal with the "trash", and a priceless stash of vintage tubes was lost forever.  It's not like this stuff will ever be made again.

I hope all his Atari possessions don't get thrown out either; but it's really up to the person who owns stuff like that to think ahead enough to ensure that bad things -- like what you're mentioning here -- don't happen after they pass away. I would never hold anyone's family responsible for such a thing; they have lives too. Although, I would say selling it as a cheap lot, or even giving it away as a last ditch effort, would be desirable over just trashing the stuff. A simple post for a few days on Craigslist could be all it takes, in either case (up for sale, no sale -- it's all for free).

I never spoke to Ben or dealt with him but heard really nice things about him.It's sad to hear that another part of our world wide club has gone, I hope he left in a peaceful, pain free way and our sympathy to his family. 

I also hope his gear is saved one way or another, but it's insensitive to remind his family of this at this point, maybe later..

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Mclaneinc said:

I never spoke to Ben or dealt with him but heard really nice things about him.It's sad to hear that another part of our world wide club has gone, I hope he left in a peaceful, pain free way and our sympathy to his family. 

I also hope his gear is saved one way or another, but it's insensitive to remind his family of this at this point, maybe later..

Yeah - what I said, I don't think was stated properly.  I didn't mean to place value on items over a man that just died.  Hard to put in words really, but it's more of a sadness that when someone dies, often their life's work doesn't continue.  As I get older, I often think how sad it is than when I die, that will be an end to 3 generations of metal workers in my family (my dad & grandfather).  I have no kids to pass on the knowledge to.  It was more that feeling I was trying to convey.

• Like 6