IGNORED

Atari Fighter!

leech

So popped up the idea in the thread about Primal Rage 2.  What if Atari were to take characters from their games and turn it into a Fighter?

What characters could they have?  I already mentioned Bentley Bear.

Dude from the SwordQuest games?

The block from Adventure?

A tank from Combat?

The block from Pong? 

Maybe the Triangle from Asteroids!

Also the nerd from Gauntlet III

Other thoughts?

(yeah this is mostly a goof post, but let's have fun with it.  If someone has other ideas more serious, join in!)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Fast Freddie.  Think of all the damage he could do from his hang glider, kicking everyone else in the teeth then zooming up, up, and away to safety.  I'm telling you: this could redefine the fighting game genre and bring back one of Atari's most well-known and beloved characters.

47 minutes ago, Lord Mushroom said:

I don´t think they have the rights to him. The Gauntlet series was owned by Atari Games.

Yeah, I am not sure where the Lynx version is in that stack.  Ah, I actually beat that game with every character back in the day.  If I recall the robot was the easiest.

- Major Havoc

- Dude from Secret Quest 

- Elf Archer from Millepede

- Berthilda, the Gem Eater, Nasty Tree and Skeleton from Crystal Castles

- Skylar from Cybermorph

I think that one of the challenges with this exercise is that many Atari games just didn't have a well defined character that players could identify with. I mean, do we really want to be the Pong Paddle? This is probably one reason Atari Karts only had Bentley Bear with a host of generic characters.

I've always felt a good approach for Atari would be to use their IP for the environments. Imagine how much cooler Atari Karts would have been with asteroids raining from the sky... A similar approach could be used with a fighter. 

2 hours ago, leech said:

Yeah, I am not sure where the Lynx version is in that stack.  Ah, I actually beat that game with every character back in the day.  If I recall the robot was the easiest.

I thought you were talking about Gauntlet III: The Final Quest, which was developed by Tengen (owned by Atari Games).

Gauntlet: The Third Encounter, on the other hand, was published by Atari Corporation, so they could have the rights to some of the stuff in that game. Although the game itself is not listed in current Atari´s IP. But I would guess they don´t.

7 hours ago, Lord Mushroom said:

I thought you were talking about Gauntlet III: The Final Quest, which was developed by Tengen (owned by Atari Games).

Gauntlet: The Third Encounter, on the other hand, was published by Atari Corporation, so they could have the rights to some of the stuff in that game. Although the game itself is not listed in current Atari´s IP. But I would guess they don´t.

Ah yes, sorry for the confusion.  I recall playing Gauntlet III: The Final Quest on the Atari ST.  It is very weirdly much like the later Gauntlet games (Legends and Dark Legacy) minus 3dfx hardware.  Gauntlet: The Third Encounter was my favorite Lynx game.

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, leech said:

There's an Elf in Centipede?

Yes, you're actually playing an Elf in that game, although I suppose it's a bit hard to make out when he's only a few pixels high.

It's a bit clearer on the box art though.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

A lot of those Atari characters are quite cartoony, so a Smash Bros-like game would be a great fit for such a roster.

Tarra (Swordquest series)

Torr (Swordquest series)

Bently Bear (Crystal Castles)

Mr. Graves (Haunted House)

Yar character (Yars' Revenge)

Elf (Centipede/Millipede)

Major Havoc (The Adventures of Major Havoc)

Ninja Golfer (Ninja Golf)

Hero character from 'Secret Quest'

Kung Fu Lu (Off the Wall)

Half-fast Pete (Outlaw)

Billy-The-Kid (Outlaw)

Max the Bug Slayer (Centipede: Infestation)

Wally Gudmunzsun (Centipede 1998)

Charlie Chuck (Food Fight)

Louie (Scrapyard Dog)

Trevor McFur (Trevor McFur in the Crescent Galaxy)

Unhappy Interface Robot #1984 (I, Robot)

Playable character from 'Maze Invaders'

Yorgle (Adventure)

Grundle (Adventure)

Rhindle (Adventure)

If Atari retained 'Glover' and the 'Bubsy' series, those two could have been added, but oh well (Glover was published under the Atari label for PS1 & Bubsy was on Jaguar)