Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Swami

Does Aimtrak light gun work fully as a USB mouse?

Recommended Posts

I've put off buying an LCD light gun because I've heard they are difficult to keep calibrated after a lot of messing around. I just got a Sinden light gun and although it mostly handles MAME and dolphin games after calibration without the issues of the AimTrak, it does not work as a mouse for Steam games fixed to use a mouse for gun aiming or other emulators that have mouse but not lightgun.

 

So, to get to the question, will the AimTrak work as a mouse in any mouse application for a PC? I've heard a Wiimote may also work okay as a mouse and can have a bit of gun fell with the Wii gun accessories. Anyone have any experience with this?

 

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd also like to know if there's a definitive light gun solution that works with all emulators and games that use the mouse as a gun cursor. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/29/2021 at 1:38 PM, Class316 said:

I'd also like to know if there's a definitive light gun solution that works with all emulators and games that use the mouse as a gun cursor. 

Nobody knows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/29/2021 at 1:38 PM, Class316 said:

I'd also like to know if there's a definitive light gun solution that works with all emulators and games that use the mouse as a gun cursor. 

I got the dolphin bar and tried the Wii Remote Plus with CoolCV slither and Operation Wolf. It moves in the right directions, but it is jerky and laggy even with the mouse at lowest sinsitivity. It is not playable. I am going to try a couple MAME trackball/mouse games with analog sensitivity as low as possible and see if it works better. It sees the inputs from the Wiimote as Gun B0, B1, Y1, X1, etc., so, that does not bode well, as it did the same for the Sinden. It seems odd that the Dolphin bar setting is "mouse+keyboard" but MAME is recognizing it as a Gun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Swami said:

I got the dolphin bar and tried the Wii Remote Plus with CoolCV slither and Operation Wolf. It moves in the right directions, but it is jerky and laggy even with the mouse at lowest sinsitivity. It is not playable. I am going to try a couple MAME trackball/mouse games with analog sensitivity as low as possible and see if it works better. It sees the inputs from the Wiimote as Gun B0, B1, Y1, X1, etc., so, that does not bode well, as it did the same for the Sinden. It seems odd that the Dolphin bar setting is "mouse+keyboard" but MAME is recognizing it as a Gun.

 

I just have a generic USB sensor bar. Does that work just as good? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Class316 said:

 

I just have a generic USB sensor bar. Does that work just as good? 

i think so

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Class316 said:

 

I just have a generic USB sensor bar. Does that work just as good? 

I tried the WiiMote with the dolphin bar in MAME with slither with analog speed and sensitivity set to 2 and it almost worked well. What I found to be the problem is that it moves in a direction at a speed proportional to how far you are from its calibrated center of the screen and doesn't stop moving that direction until you move back past the cal center and then it starts to move the other way. It doesn't recognize absolute position, just absolute speed based on position. I assume this is because MAME still recognizes it as a gun, since the mouse cursor in the GUI screens in MAME still works perfectly as a mouse. No idea why.

 

There are some wiimote to mouse programs for pc that don't use the sensor bar, but they are from 2010-2012 and I can't get them to work with the Wiimote in Windows 10. The were made for Vista or Win7 and I have XP on one laptop and Win10 on my other 2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...