tripletopper

Amico Sound Options

First, I understand that most people would probably hook up an Amico to a modern television with an HDMI cable and get sound and video through that and be done with it.  I know I'm the weirdo coming in to this conversation.

I was planning on doing what I do with all my HDMI systems and convert it to VGA and play it on VGA CRT for quicker response.  However, the cost of doing that is dealing with sound separately as a separate converter. 

However there are a couple options for sound and I would like to know which one would make most sense for the Amico come 10 10 2021.

Wii U and Switch have you have a USB sound system plugged in where you can plug in a USB headphone or sound box.

The Xbox 360 and Xbox One have a toslink optical audio port for those systems, though they became less standard in cheaper future versions of those consoles, at least the 360E was.

Funny thing is Nintendo has no toslink options and Xbox has no USB options.

It doesn't matter to me  as long as it's one of those two.  Maybe there's a third way Tommy came up with.

Also will the sound be considered three-dimensional? (I understand if it isn't.  And if it isn't, a simple 3.5 mm LR sound extractor would be sufficient, which I do have at home.)

Also if using surround, what "sound code language" does Amico plan to use?  Something in the Dolby family? something in the DTS family? or something that's considered industry common standard like LPCM?

• Like 2

My advice is, focus on joysticks, don't get all jumbled up in what frequencies are and why you can't magically change what comes out of a box into something you wish for.

• Like 2

Hi,

The only way to get audio out of Amico will be the HDMI cable.  Maybe there is a simple cable converter out there where you can go from HDMI to composite and then take the red & white cables and attach them to your old TV?

But how would you play a 16:9 ratio game on 4:3 CRT? 

In regards to 3D/Surround...

For the type of experiences we are creating for Amico, a simple stereo output is fine. 

My personal opinion is that 3D/Surround, etc. is great for more immersive and life-life experiences and 3D free roaming style games.  But doesn't really lend itself to enhancing the experience for a lot of the types of games we're doing.  Especially not at the cost of processing power.

There is a lot of data processing that needs to happen when you start to calculate multi-channel audio, real-time audio processing on the fly, etc... and although I've made my career as an audio person in the game industry... I also recognize that I'd rather spend the processing power on smoother gameplay, frame-rate & playability, etc.  Our chip is not a technological powerhouse when compared to other things out on the market these days, but that isn't what Amico is about.  Our focus first and foremost is making sure the game is fun and easy to pick up and play.

I know this must all sound strange coming from an audio guy... but the audio in all of our games is super top notch.  And that is the most important part.  The quality of the music, sound design, overall direction, etc.  It's just the way we deliver it to the player may not seem as immersive as other platforms, because we're not really doing (or trying to compete) with what other platforms are doing.

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tommy Tallarico said:

But how would you play a 16:9 ratio game on 4:3 CRT? 

I imagine it would either need to be letterboxed (best option IMO), stretched vertically (ugly!), or you'd need to add a whole new setting to each game.

I can see why you'd leave out standard-definition video at this point.

Posted (edited)

It makes sense.

I kind of predicted that the sound format might be simple stereo.  Hence why I  asked the question of WHETHER it has those fancy sound options, thinking the possibility of no surround is possible and  might be likely.

As I said, there are HDMI sound extractors on ebay.  They CAN pass surround sound if that were the input, but can pass 2 track stereo equally well.

I can deal with it well enough.

For TLDR haters after first set of stars are comments about the 16 bit video game surround standard war.  After the second line of stars is how I play 16x9 games on my 4x3 CRT VGA currently, including Switch and Xbox One.  It should carry to Amico.    And after the third  star line is how I understood Amico to be: mainly a console for people think AAA games are too story heavy and too  game light.

BTW in the Genesis/SNES war, there was a battle of surround formats.  Sega teamed with Capcom for Q Sound, a precursor to a sound bar, while SNES used Headphone Surround, well before Dolby made Dolby Headphones, a code which converts Dolby Digital 5.1 into a headphone surround method.

The Genesis/Sound bar method has a better sound with communal speakers, but the surround effect was better in terms of 3 dimensional position with the Nintendo surround headphone.

And the funny thing is you can record headphone surround on a DVDR, have the surround soundscape preserved when listened to in headphones, yet is "communal stereo compatible".  No one noticed I did it until some in my family noticed when wearing headphones.

The best part is it can fit in the bandwidth of standard stereo.  That's why Nintendo doesn't pay for proprietary coding.  Nintendo Switch has good 3d headphone sound as a default.  No need to buy a special surround system.

I guess if most Amico stuff is 2d, then it would just need the 2 track surround (if used, not saying you're going to) for high/low and front/back.

And just because the main gameplay is mostly 2d and graphics mostly sprites doesn't mean the presentation has to be limited to a plane.

As for the 16x9 main display on a 4x3 screen, the VGA CRT normally has a 16x9 compressed to make E Honda look like Sagat.

Luckily most VGA CRTs let you vertically squish the picture so both everything fits, and everything is in proportion.

No pan and scan/ sides cut off.  No "skinny scope" either.  A full 16x9 picture within a bigger 4x3 screen.

I will get what's called in the Laser Disc business as Original Ratio Letterboxing.

The funny thing about my VGA CRT is that old 4x3 media is 480p, and fills a 4x3 screen, but my 16x9 media is always 720p, which, when it senses 720p, auto squishes to correct the stretch.

1080p is zoomed in.  No matter what you do, my VGA CRT won't show the whole picture.  It's probably VERY RARE to find a VGA CRT that does 1080p.

I always though of Amico games as being games for players of games.  If you're looking for your motivation, either watch a 10 second video before the start,  or read the instruction book.

Most AAA games are "movie games" ., Games whose main feature is a movie with light gaming simulating the character's struggle.  The funny thing is FMV games are panned as "movie games" but AAA games are praised for their story and theatrics.

If you want a story, buy a Blu Ray disc.

I want to compete, either against a computer, local friends and family (though I'm currently on a social island) and online friends I haven't met yet.  I want someone/something to win and someone to lose.

Edited by tripletopper
Typos when selecting items, and better organizing.
  • Like 2

If you really want VGA on a a CRT you can get a monitor like Compaq made in the 90s with hi-fi speakers attached. Then you can get a good HDMI to VGA converter and run the audio line from the converter to the Compaq speakers. Alternatively, there are many hi-fi speaker system made separately to go with monitors and the hdmi to vga converters always have an audio out line. It should be good for anyone except extreme audiophiles. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, tripletopper said:

It makes sense.

I kind of predicted that the sound format might be simple stereo.  Hence why I  asked the question of WHETHER it has those fancy sound options, thinking the possibility of no surround is possible and  might be likely.

As I said, there are HDMI sound extractors on ebay.  They CAN pass surround sound if that were the input, but can pass 2 track stereo equally well.

I can deal with it well enough.

For TLDR haters after first set of stars are comments about the 16 bit video game surround standard war.  After the second line of stars is how I play 16x9 games on my 4x3 CRT VGA currently, including Switch and Xbox One.  It should carry to Amico.    And after the third  star line is how I understood Amico to be: mainly a console for people think AAA games are too story heavy and too  game light.

BTW in the Genesis/SNES war, there was a battle of surround formats.  Sega teamed with Capcom for Q Sound, a precursor to a sound bar, while SNES used Headphone Surround, well before Dolby made Dolby Headphones, a code which converts Dolby Digital 5.1 into a headphone surround method.

The Genesis/Sound bar method has a better sound with communal speakers, but the surround effect was better in terms of 3 dimensional position with the Nintendo surround headphone.

And the funny thing is you can record headphone surround on a DVDR, have the surround soundscape preserved when listened to in headphones, yet is "communal stereo compatible".  No one noticed I did it until some in my family noticed when wearing headphones.

The best part is it can fit in the bandwidth of standard stereo.  That's why Nintendo doesn't pay for proprietary coding.  Nintendo Switch has good 3d headphone sound as a default.  No need to buy a special surround system.

I guess if most Amico stuff is 2d, then it would just need the 2 track surround (if used, not saying you're going to) for high/low and front/back.

And just because the main gameplay is mostly 2d and graphics mostly sprites doesn't mean the presentation has to be limited to a plane.

As for the 16x9 main display on a 4x3 screen, the VGA CRT normally has a 16x9 compressed to make E Honda look like Sagat.

Luckily most VGA CRTs let you vertically squish the picture so both everything fits, and everything is in proportion.

No pan and scan/ sides cut off.  No "skinny scope" either.  A full 16x9 picture within a bigger 4x3 screen.

I will get what's called in the Laser Disc business as Original Ratio Letterboxing.

The funny thing about my VGA CRT is that old 4x3 media is 480p, and fills a 4x3 screen, but my 16x9 media is always 720p, which, when it senses 720p, auto squishes to correct the stretch.

1080p is zoomed in.  No matter what you do, my VGA CRT won't show the whole picture.  It's probably VERY RARE to find a VGA CRT that does 1080p.

I always though of Amico games as being games for players of games.  If you're looking for your motivation, either watch a 10 second video before the start,  or read the instruction book.

Most AAA games are "movie games" ., Games whose main feature is a movie with light gaming simulating the character's struggle.  The funny thing is FMV games are panned as "movie games" but AAA games are praised for their story and theatrics.

If you want a story, buy a Blu Ray disc.

I want to compete, either against a computer, local friends and family (though I'm currently on a social island) and online friends I haven't met yet.  I want someone/something to win and someone to lose.

Very interesting! It's nice to hear this kind of input. ;-)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, tripletopper said:

BTW in the Genesis/SNES war, there was a battle of surround formats.  Sega teamed with Capcom for Q Sound, a precursor to a sound bar,

Interesting tidbit...  I actually worked on the very first Q-Sound game for home consoles.  The Terminator on Sega-CD.  And although Ecco the Dolphin (by the great Spencer Nielsen) came out on the market a few month before Terminator (also on Sega CD), we were incorporating it before Sega signed on (but it took longer for it to come out).  Interesting part of the story... I was friends with Buzz Burrowes who worked for Q-Sound in the early 90's.  And his boss at Q-Sound was Bernie Stollar.  Both Bernie & Buzz went on to be big executives at Sony and Bernie later became the president of Sega!  Buzz works at Harmonics now and did a lot of the Rock Band stuff.  Side note:  He was also the engineer on my first album on Capitol Records back in 1993!

:)

• Like 2

Here's a thought - can't you "just" plug the HDMI into a more modern stereo of the past 5ish years and send the audio using composite out from the back of the stereo or even stereo plug out into your CRT setup? Most modern stereos have audio out features both analog and digital.