IGNORED

XL Secam

I have never seen QWERTZ or AZERTY keyboard for the XL/XE series. There is an Arabic layout for the 65XE though. It has different lettering on the keycaps, but the keyboard matrix is the same.

Edited by ivop

256 colors are only possible in GTIA mode 9 where the playfield feeds 4-bit luminance. Every other screen mode is limited to 128 colors anyway since the color registers are only 7-bit.

From what I've been able to gather, there are some other color differences due to the way that the hue values are mapped to SECAM chroma. I've tried to emulate it based on some pictures, but haven't had much success matching them with an algorithm.

Another problem is that the monitor port seems to have 6 pins, so it wont accepts the traditional 5 pins for composite output.

I still haven't figured out If the machine I got is a secam, but the b&w or color switch coupled with the 6 pin monitor port seem to suggest a secam machine.

This is the back picture

back.jpg

Edited by AtariNostalgia

It's not the end of the world, my first Atari was a SECAM system and I didn't even know the colors were slightly different until I saw a PAL model years later. I didn't even notice the picture was merely average back in the day but, if it makes you more comfortable, a SECAM Atari 130XE is much worse in that regard. All titles will run flawlessly so it's perfectly usable.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, www.atarimania.com said:

It's not the end of the world, my first Atari was a SECAM system and I didn't even know the colors were slightly different until I saw a PAL model years later. I didn't even notice the picture was merely average back in the day but, if it makes you more comfortable, a SECAM Atari 130XE is much worse in that regard. All titles will run flawlessly so it's perfectly usable.

The thing is, I have an Atari 800, 400, 600XL, 130XE that are PAL, so I know what the color should be, but I do hope I don't notice the difference, I really wanted an 800XL.

Did the seller not list it as SECAM?

I accidentally ended up with an NTSC machine a long time ago, wasn't listed as such but as I was in the UK buying from another person in the UK I presumed it was PAL. Seller refunded it..

He said it "might" be a PAL system, but wasn't sure. I should have payed more attention to the clues, like the 6 pin monitor port. It doesn't have that little plastic part that covers other secam machines, so I thought it was a PAL one. He is located in France, but again, seeing the QWERTY keyboard (and not researching enough to see that Atari never made a French AZERTY keyboard), I was convinced it was a PAL machine.

This is the "little door I am talking about, the one near the power port.

secam.jpg

• Thanks 1

I can't imagine the owner didn't know what it was, I'm not sure what the output via composite would be, for me with the NTSC it was black and white and none of my monitors supported an NTSC output nor was their things like the Sophia out then. Never seen a SECAM machine myself..

Hope you can resolve the issues..

Paul..