IGNORED

XL Secam

Thank you @MrFish for the schematics :)

Unfortunately after perusing the diagrams it appears that a SECAM Atari is a completely different beast. So much so, that there would be no simple path to conversion. It's using an entirely different GTIA with pin-outs that don't facilitate a straight swap. The Luma D/A conversion circuit is the only thing that wouldn't require any major rewiring, correction, it does go to different pins on the SECAM GTIA vs the conventional one.

I was kinda hoping that a GTIA swap plus installing something like this would have done the trick.

PALburst.jpg.1b1f713af95e889f906cdaecbb26b2f7.jpg

On 5/29/2021 at 5:01 PM, AtariNostalgia said:

Would an 800XL Secam work on modern LCD monitors like PAL and/or NTSC versions

YES, with external video processor (plug-and-play)... which will also seal the deal for PAL and NTSC formats...

But it would be hard to justify if you got that unit by accident, and may not want to keep it... ?

The only thing I'm worried about is If it will work with my LCD monitor. This Samsung works with both PAL and NTSC which is great, I just hope it works with SECAM.

I've made my peace with the SECAM 800XL, it was an accidental buy but I should have been more careful.

Just an Update. It's been working fine with my monitor, everything seems fine, even when playing with my cartridges, I don't notice the 128 colors instead of 256, since it's the cartridge is obviously not using all of them, the colors seem fine.

All in all, an interesting addition to my collection.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/2/2021 at 1:55 AM, abbotkinneydude said:

Guys,

I love my SECAM machines... all of them!

Also, to get all the PAL colors out of a SECAM machine, Simius does produce a SECAM Sophia board (at least for SOPHIA 1) which will fit in any Secam 800XL/130XE/XEGS.

You'll need to order at least 5 boards as well.

At the moment 1 pcs is enough. 

• Like 1