IGNORED

Add you favorite old User Groups...

DavidMil

I believe the only one I ever attended was AUGI, but I think there were some other ones around here for a while.

IIRC, AUGI stood for Atari User's Group of Indianapolis.  Larry might be able to help me with that one.

• Like 1

SPACE. Saint Paul Atari Computer Enthusiasts... :)

Got into the scene in the mid/late-80s... much to my surprise, they're still around. Might go back one day. I don't recognize all the people's names, but after 30 years (zoiks!) it's not much of a surprise to have some turnover...

• 2 weeks later...

AUGI - the Atari Users' Group of Ireland.  Met at Powers' Hotel (now the Kildare Street Hotel) on Kildare Street in the middle of Dublin once a month.  At its height, there were probably around 30 regulars.  Meetings were a mix of copyfests, gaming, and technical stuff.  Lots of 8-bit and ST presence, though not a ton of crossover between the two groups; a few of us were in both camps.

Attended from about 1985 to around 1990, at which point girls had taken a lot of my interest away from computers.  Don't think the group survived past about 1992 or so.

NOSAUG , North of Scotland Atari User Group.

Stuart Murray used to run it. He did a release with just the magazine, one with a diskette and another also which was cassette based.

I regularly used to be the ONLY person that got the cassette version.

All my cassettes stopped working years ago and got thrown out after being left in a garage too long.

LBACE - Long Beach Atari Computer Enthusiasts

Long Beach, CA - I was a member (and the president) for the last few years before the ST came out and for a few years past that.  Pretty sure it died off when Atari stopped being carried in stores.  We weren't affiliated with a store or anything, just people who loved our Atari computers.

On 6/8/2021 at 6:58 PM, Fres said:

I believe the only one I ever attended was AUGI, but I think there were some other ones around here for a while.

IIRC, AUGI stood for Atari User's Group of Indianapolis.  Larry might be able to help me with that one.

Yep.  AUGI was the main one in the Indy area.  Another was WICA -- West Indy Computer Alliance.  Despite the name, Atari only.  WICA had a lot of cash on hand in the treasury, and voted to purchase a copy of the CHAOS library.  Probably close to 100 disks.

• 2 years later...
On 5/30/2021 at 1:40 PM, darwinmac said:

BITD, I was a member of both MilAtari (Milwaukee Atari Users Group) and LCACE (Lake County Atari Computer Enthusiasts). LCACE is still around as a Windows group. They just changed the “A” from Atari to Area. 

Bob C

@darwinmac I posted the June, 1986 issue of the MilAtari newsletter.

On 6/26/2021 at 4:38 AM, snicklin said:

NOSAUG , North of Scotland Atari User Group.

Stuart Murray used to run it. He did a release with just the magazine, one with a diskette and another also which was cassette based.

I regularly used to be the ONLY person that got the cassette version.

All my cassettes stopped working years ago and got thrown out after being left in a garage too long.

Hi snicklin,

Stuart Murray rings a bell in the dim and distant memories. Where was he based?

Regards

In addition to AUGI and WICA, for a short time I was a member of another user group in the Indy area that IIRC was ST only.  But I can't remember it's name.  In the early to mid-80's, there were quite a few user groups in the Indianapolis area.  Some large companies allowed employee user groups to meet on-site after work.  That made it handy for meetings, but they typically had more rigid rules than some of the "unsponsored" groups.

I was a member of Jersey Atari Computer Group (JACG), we used to hold meetings at Bell Labs in Murray Hill, NJ.  The newsletters were great, and because most of the members were Bell Labs employees, the group was technically astute.

I was a kid, not old enough to work at Bell Labs (my father did, and so did I, but much later on), but loved going to those meetings.  I was able to see probably the first mass demo of Robert Jaeger's Chomper (he lived very close to me), among other cool exclusives.

I know the newsletters are archived here: https://archive.org/search?query=creator%3A"Jersey+Atari+Computer+Group".  Someone on AtariAge also has some of the disks, hoping they can be uploaded. 

• Like 2

I was a member of the Boise Users Group (BUG).  We left "Atari" out of the name because we liked the acronym.  Our newsletter was "Page 6."  We initially met at a computer store, but then later would get a room at a pizza restaurant.  I usually got a ride with our neighbor who ran a BBS, as I wasn't old enough to drive.  The club would always raffle off a new game, generally raising enough to cover the cost of the game.  The game would be demoed at the meeting, and apparently all the insiders ended up with a copy of the game--like many such groups, it was full of pirates.  We also had a library of public domain files, and I was really honored when they asked me to be the club's librarian and organize it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pcrow said:

I was a member of the Boise Users Group (BUG).  We left "Atari" out of the name because we liked the acronym.  Our newsletter was "Page 6."  We initially met at a computer store, but then later would get a room at a pizza restaurant.  I usually got a ride with our neighbor who ran a BBS, as I wasn't old enough to drive.  The club would always raffle off a new game, generally raising enough to cover the cost of the game.  The game would be demoed at the meeting, and apparently all the insiders ended up with a copy of the game--like many such groups, it was full of pirates.  We also had a library of public domain files, and I was really honored when they asked me to be the club's librarian and organize it.

"BAG" lacks a certain gravitas, doesn't it. ;-)

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/30/2024 at 10:55 PM, blacka013 said:

Hi snicklin,

Stuart Murray rings a bell in the dim and distant memories. Where was he based?

Regards

He was in Aberdeen at the time, he was a uni student.

I really enjoyed his work.

I was a member of WNYAUG, the Western New York Atari Users Group. We were located in the Buffalo area and we had a newsletter named POKEY. Some of us later started BRAG*ST, the Buffalo Region Atari Group for ST owners. I'm cleaning my basement and hoping I find some old issues of POKEY I can scan, but so far no luck.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, snicklin said:

He was in Aberdeen at the time, he was a uni student.

I really enjoyed his work.

I bought my 800XL, disk drive and software from him when I was stationed at RAF Lossiemouth.

He lived in Elgin if I remember correctly.

On 1/30/2024 at 12:10 PM, rdefabri said:

I was a member of Jersey Atari Computer Group (JACG), we used to hold meetings at Bell Labs in Murray Hill, NJ.  The newsletters were great, and because most of the members were Bell Labs employees, the group was technically astute.

I was a kid, not old enough to work at Bell Labs (my father did, and so did I, but much later on), but loved going to those meetings.  I was able to see probably the first mass demo of Robert Jaeger's Chomper (he lived very close to me), among other cool exclusives.

I know the newsletters are archived here: https://archive.org/search?query=creator%3A"Jersey+Atari+Computer+Group".  Someone on AtariAge also has some of the disks, hoping they can be uploaded. 

I just got a set of JACG disks and newsletters into my possession from an Indy Vintage Computer Club member today.  It includes March thru Dec. 1985 and Jan-Dec 1986 newsletters.  It also includes a large number (probably around 100) disks from the JACG disk library.

I see on archive.org that some of the newsletters from the time period I just acquired are missing.  I can work on getting the missing ones archived.  Not sure what to do with the disks.  They seem to be in good shape (no obvious distress or mold) and most are probably readable.  Has the JACG disk library been archived?

4 minutes ago, rkindig said:

I just got a set of JACG disks and newsletters into my possession from an Indy Vintage Computer Club member today.  It includes March thru Dec. 1985 and Jan-Dec 1986 newsletters.  It also includes a large number (probably around 100) disks from the JACG disk library.

I see on archive.org that some of the newsletters from the time period I just acquired are missing.  I can work on getting the missing ones archived.  Not sure what to do with the disks.  They seem to be in good shape (no obvious distress or mold) and most are probably readable.  Has the JACG disk library been archived?

Copy all disks if you can. Just in case some are not archived. If you need help with the newsletters, let me know.

I don’t see the disks archived anywhere.

For the newsletters, it looks like 3 of the 1985 ones that I have haven’t been archived and 6 of the 1986 ones haven’t been archived.  So, 9 to scan and archive.  Not too bad.  I don’t have a good setup for scanning newsletters.  I have to scan them one page at a time, manually setting up each page.

• Like 2