IGNORED

Weirdest game you've played?

I thought of this while playing Parodius. I've played a lot of weird games, Harmful Park, LSD the dream emulator and We love Katamari to name a few. I was wondering if anyone has played these games or other weird games.

• Like 1

Probably forgot the weirdest of the weird, but I can think of a couple stand outs.  DS- Electroplankton  and SNES-EVO

The first is I guess more of a music experience than a game, but the entire setup, atmosphere and the rest is beyond strange, just weird, psychedelic really and if you were on something it would probably go beyond just blowing your mind.  And then SNES game, a game, an action one with some strange RPG elements of all things about evolution and what to evolve and de-evolve along the way to the final form, and that's not even guaranteed human as I think you can end up like centaurs, mermaids and other weird stuff.

• Like 2

My favorite game is Tengai Makyou Fuun Kabuki Den.

The series is based on the misinterpretations of feudal Japan by a fictional Western historian.

Fuun Kabuki Den is a Final Fantasy II style entry into the series and the setting begins in "Jipang" before spending most of the game in the country of "London".

The main character is a flamboyant theatre performer named Kabuki and before each battle against the "four fiends" they perform a musical number in a cinema.

There is constant random wackiness along the way and the scenes in the fictional UK are as ridiculous as the misinterpretations of Japan.

On example is Piccadilly Circus, which is literally a circus. It is run by an evil clown who turns out to be the love interest of the lounge singing werewolf boss. She's encased a sumo wrestler in a canon ball and only feeding him a gyoza can free him.

The Sega Saturn entry subtiled "The Apocalypse IV" is the weirdest though. It takes place in a parody of America and the plot is loosely based on the book of revelations.

You start out in the late 1800's on the island of Alaska before sailing across to the mainland where you'll face villains like an evil cyborg JFK trying to nuke America, Al Capone, Billy the Kid, and a hollywood producer who sucks you literally into a world of film.

At one point you get sucked into a storybook illustrated by a child. You get to draw a face for your paper cutout paper sprite and name them. The narrator continues to speak your name using voice as you make your way through the storybook.

You befiend a Jamaican bobsledder who exclaims "cool runnings!" after winning a race down a sand hill. You found the town of Nevada can build it up into a gambling empire.

The character Kabuki from previous entries was too popular to not include. So part way through the game at the OK Corral you encounter a cowardly sheriff who runs always runs away before a flamboyent gunslinger named Ace appears, dressed up like Marty Mcfly's costume from Doc with a Lone Ranger mask. He's voiced by the same actor as Kabuki and has an American version of his catchphrase.

Each game features an immortal insane ape named Manto who messes with the heroes. In The Apocalypse IV he's both "The King of Lake Tahoe" and a movie star, appearing in a series of b&w King Kong style films.

Before you can fight his giant mech of himself, you need to acquire three battle vehicles, each named after Japanese dishes. Then when it's time to battle Manto they all merge Power Rangers style in the mech "Geisho Robo". The theme song is performed Hironobu Kageyama.

You then battle Manto in a Virtua Fighter style fight.

• Like 2

Seaman is up there (especially because he’s Spock!!) but I’m going with the game that introduced me to weird games as a kid:

I do want to step back and acknowledge that a lot of popular games are weird. The Wario games are widely regarded as weird, but are they really weirder than the Marioverse???

I don’t find Electroplankton weird, but it is one of my favorite pieces of software ever.

• Like 3

Might have to come back to this one but El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron for the 360 is a little weird. I appreciate its not "old" compared to the other games listed but there is a surreal element which is extreme for the genre (usually "action rpg / adventure" games are very easy storylines to follow, but this one is quite deep for those that want to read between the lines (warning, some Abrahamic religious knowledge needed to fully appreciate the storyline but it is not a "religious" game in itself. 

I love the chance to mention zenu clash as well, which is definitely weird, again as a one on one fighter the genre does not scream weird or surreal so getting both of these in this genre makes it unique. 

Silent hill 4 the room is definitely weird even for silent Hill. 

Going more just weird and enjoyable rather than weird and surreal, Wiz 'n' Liz: The Frantic Wabbit Wescue on mega drive. The plot makes no sense but fits the gameplay and for some reason I'll happily jump about collecting letters and rabbits for no good reason. 

• Like 2

Here are 3 of my top candidates:

Banishing Racer - bizarre gameboy game where you play as a car who was resurrected from the dead by an angel to make a hop & bop journey across the USA

Ultraman Ball - you play as Ultraman who rolls into a ball and bounces his way to the exit.

Super Pachinko Taisen an Ultraman, Kamen Rider, SD gundam battle game played via the medium of pachinko.

• Like 2

The first two are some of my favorites!!

The whole ball thing in Metroid makes no physical sense, but the fine folks at Fuse (founded by the creators of Pro Pinball) took it to its logical extreme:

(Mario Pinball Land, their first effort, isn’t great, but Pinball Pulse: The Ancients Beckon, available as DSiWare, is one of the best digital tables I’ve ever played, and I’ve played many.)

Pinball offers some really great opportunities to be weird. While Pinball of the Dead isn’t as weird as Typing of the Dead, it’s more fun.

While Devil’s Crush and Alien Crush get all the attention and are pretty weird themselves, my favorite Turbografx pinball game (just because I root for the underdog) is Time Cruise. It takes the surrealism to the max.

Pinball games hardly get more high concept and weird than the Gamecube’s Odama, which is essentially Dynasty Warriors Pinball. The mandatory voice integration pushes it from mildly weird to wildly weird.

But as usual the humble, ubiquitous PlayStation outweirds them all with Screaming Mad George’s Paranoiascape, a first person body horror pinball game (well, strongly influenced by Devilish) that is by many accounts pretty fun.

• Like 2

Japan owns the right to 'weird' games.

there are so many

The weirdest ones, IMO are Scud Hammer and Boon-ga Boon-ga

In scud hammer, it's a simple rock/paper/scissor game, but the object is when you win a round, the goal is to really just repeated whack your very colorful and anime styled opponent over the head with a mallet and knock them out before they knock you out. The arcade machine has a mallet.  The graphics are hilarious

In Boon-ga Boon-ga, the machine has your literally slap an ass.  Its a spanking simulator.

In terms of money traditional actual video games, there are just so many 1980's weird mascot type character games that are just bizarre in nature.  The game themselves are just weird and experiment spins on Pac-Man and the shooter genre.  Game like Eyes, Dacholder, etc

Edited by Mik's Arcade
  • Like 1

On 6/1/2021 at 9:05 AM, jgkspsx said:

Pinball games hardly get more high concept and weird than the Gamecube’s Odama, which is essentially Dynasty Warriors Pinball. The mandatory voice integration pushes it from mildly weird to wildly weird.

Definitely one of the weirdest I've played- although when I first set it up, I didn't plug in the mic right away & got a funny snippet of your assistant panicking that they'd gone deaf before realizing oh, it's just the mic's not plugged in.

Anyway, my choice for this is gonna be Muscle March. A Wii port of an unreleased arcade game, where you play a string of over-muscled characters chasing down the guy who stole their protein powder. Very simple game, but incredibly silly.

Second choice is Cho Chabudai Gaeshi (Super Table Fllip). Japanese arcade game that consists of flipping a plastic table mounted to the cabinet once. Excactly once. It's surprisingly entertaining, especially if you have someone around to explain this weird cabinet to!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1