Jaden (JRH)

Atari 7800 Homebrews with Physical Releases

I do think cartridges like those are interesting. However, I think they would be a pain to catalogue. If someone else wants to do that, be my guest. But I'm mainly looking at "official" releases.

Still, very cool that such a thing like that exists. I personally would like to see a cartridge with just the Namco conversions on them, since I'm a big Namco fan. Maybe one day.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, GoldenWheels said:

Some handsome devil made me a Double Dragon/Rampage ROM hack double cart, that you switch games with a button. I understand that kind of thing won't be included on this list. But to be quite frank....I have far more interest in the awesome releases done kind of commando style here by the hardcore 7800 guys, than MANY of those 'more official' titles on the list. Jeez, we need a list JUST for Bob's stuff!

The dual cart is *very* nice.   It contains graphically updated versions - not "final" though - of both games.  DD received some additional updates after the release and Rampage was never finalized; however, still a great improvement over the original graphics.  The Commando cart I have next to it, several were made, and contains a PIN hole on the side to swap between NTSC and PAL regions:

image.png.6fc24e2489b7f28667c10f55f801d804.png

Both of course would not be under consideration for the list mentioned in this thread, but your posted comments reminded me of both of them. :)

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, Trebor said:

The dual cart is *very* nice.   It contains graphically updated versions - not "final" though - of both games.  DD received some additional updates after the release and Rampage was never finalized; however, still a great improvement over the original graphics.  The Commando cart I have next to it, several were made, and contains a PIN hole on the side to swap between NTSC and PAL regions:

image.png.6fc24e2489b7f28667c10f55f801d804.png

Both of course would not be under consideration for the list mentioned in this thread, but your posted comments reminded me of both of them. :)

@Trebor You have all the cool carts! I must have still been under that rock when some of these came out (Pac-Carts and the two above). 

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Trebor said:

Both of course would not be under consideration for the list mentioned in this thread, but...

post-16393-128362790333.thumb.jpg.0c3fbe712650169ac342b727484cc3cb.jpg

:)

post-1244-0-09351700-1428798395.thumb.jpg.4f382535b40b7eff475ce5553446392d.jpg

We really need new transparent shells for these wonderful CPUWIZ's boards... :love:

post-1244-0-76453100-1409620249.png

Edited by Defender_2600
  • Like 6

On 6/2/2021 at 7:05 AM, Trebor said:

Prior to there being any Pac-Man Collection cart, circa 2005/2006, there were a variety of individual Pac-Man games that were released to cartridge, which ultimately would make up Pac-Man Collection:

Prior to the development of Pac-Man Collection - 40th Anniversary Edition, around 10 years ago, there were individual "320" releases of Pac-Man and Ms. Pac-Man with POKEY sound.  Graphically, they're not as polished as PMC 40th, but still great:

I probably should have asked this earlier, but I'm curious. How were these Pac-Man games distributed? Were they sold independently by Bob, or someone else? I also wonder how many were produced of these.

1 hour ago, Jaden (JRH) said:

I probably should have asked this earlier, but I'm curious. How were these Pac-Man games distributed? Were they sold independently by Bob, or someone else? I also wonder how many were produced of these.

Bob produced and distributed them from what I recall.  Though anyone feel free to correct that information if inaccurate.  Being ~15 years ago and how exactly those games were distributed is not a strong memory for me.

Yep, It was me.

However once PMC was a thing, I tried to eliminate the stand-alone games as PCM had more nuances and the games were closer to the arcade than the stand alone games were.

• Like 5

Others missing from the list:

* Possible Mission (granted, it's a hack, but I *believe* a few copies were sold.)

* The High Score cartridge

* Halloween cartridge (2007)

• Thanks 1

I didn't count the high score cartridge since that's not a game, but a utility. However, I was completely unaware of a Halloween cartridge. I'll have to look into that a bit.

5 hours ago, Jaden (JRH) said:

However, I was completely unaware of a Halloween cartridge. I'll have to look into that a bit.

It's a demo.  The original has the day and year mentioned, the below version has the year eliminated:

• Like 4

I've decided to broaden the scope of the project, and now include all kinds of different cartridges. Not just homebrews are accounted for, but also ROM hacks, demos, utilities, and reproductions. Of course, I'm still looking for games that were actually sold in some large amount. This doesn't include one of a kind custom cartridges, which I feel would be do difficult to document (unless someone else wants to prove me wrong on that).

The spreadsheet is still very much a work in progress, but I hope you guys like what's here so far. And I'm hoping that members here will get some use out of this information.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1TWG0W3bmlJrtGmO5p9rLiCwYUyXIF4uqqOveJMSqeKI/edit?usp=sharing

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

I have 126 plus carts at the moment... this video shows 124 for of them- so thats close to 70 homebrews and weird little oddities. Maybe a good jumping off point. The list is in the video description

Edited by Cousin Vinnie
  • Like 5

@Jaden (JRH) Some possible additions for your spreadsheet.  Btw, thank you for creating this.

ROM Hacks

Kessel Attack (Asteroids Hack)

Star Wars 7800 (Xevious Hack) 

Upcoming Releases

E.X.O.

Book Carts (maybe a new tab?)

E.T. (Mentioned in @Cousin Vinnie Video ~23:07 mark)

The Journey Of Snail

Kessel Attack.jpg 

Star Wars 7800.jpg

E.T..jpg

The Journey Of Snail.jpg

• Like 5

On 6/5/2021 at 2:20 PM, sramirez2008 said:

@Jaden (JRH) Some possible additions for your spreadsheet.  Btw, thank you for creating this.

ROM Hacks

Kessel Attack (Asteroids Hack)

Star Wars 7800 (Xevious Hack) 

Upcoming Releases

E.X.O.

Book Carts (maybe a new tab?)

E.T. (Mentioned in @Cousin Vinnie Video ~23:07 mark)

The Journey Of Snail

Kessel Attack.jpg 

Star Wars 7800.jpg

E.T..jpg

The Journey Of Snail.jpg

WANT

• Like 1

Think the last few posts have covered most of the carts I could think of that weren't in the list already. Will double check tonight hopefully.