IGNORED

Adventure board game!

SoundGammon

One challenge that I can see would be implementing the bat. Obviously there would have to be dice rolls to determine its movement and possibly what object it picks up.

It may also be necessary to add a fourth dragon and have a rule for them to be revived (after x turns) as once they are all slain, there would not be very much challenge remaining. 

How would multiple players resolve possession of the chalice? PvP combat?   

7 minutes ago, jhd said:

One challenge that I can see would be implementing the bat. Obviously there would have to be dice rolls to determine its movement and possibly what object it picks up.

It may also be necessary to add a fourth dragon and have a rule for them to be revived (after x turns) as once they are all slain, there would not be very much challenge remaining. 

How would multiple players resolve possession of the chalice? PvP combat?   

Maybe one player could play the bat?   With their objective is to snatch items from players and scatter them.   I'm not sure what the "win" state for the bat would be though, maybe the bat has to return the chalice to its own "lair", which is hard to get to, requiring an exact dice roll or something?    Other players could play dragons, with their goal being to kill the player and possess the chalice

15 hours ago, SoundGammon said:

Any ideas as to how it would be set up or play?

Each item is printed on a card,  each "room" has places for a card to be placed, face-down at the start of a game.   No one knows what the card is until a player discovers it, and after that it remains face-up for the rest of the game

each player can only carry one item at a time.

If the game is one person plays the player, one plays the bat and the rest play dragons,  bats and dragons cannot enter a castle until it has been unlocked by the player--  or maybe each castle belongs to one dragon, and that dragon can fly into its own castle but not the others

Once the player finds the chalice then all hell breaks loose with the player, bat, dragons all competing to grab it and bring it home.  There might be additional items needed, like an anti-bat weapon to stun it for a few turns.

• Like 2

You can already find a game like this called "Dungeon" - I played it alot when I was younger.  You could be 1 of 4 or 5 characters (Wizard, fighter, etc...) - there were 6 levels of rooms/monsters to fight.  You would get treasure and also equipment to help you along the way.  When you entered a room you flipped the monster card and rolled the dice - if you got the number you needed (different per character type) then you got the treasure and the room was emptied.  If you died you could restart as a different character class and your treasures stayed in the room - next explorer to beat the monster got all the left over treasures.

You could easily do an Adventure variation of this game.

Seems you can buy it new:

https://dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop-games/board-card-games/dungeon 

Edited by Goochman
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Goochman said:

You can already find a game like this called "Dungeon"

Dungeon immediately came to mind as a jumping off point for an Adventure board game. That or something tile-based, where players take turns drawing tiles to create the game board.

For the enemies, you could do something like in Survive, where as part of their turn each player rolls a die to determine which monster they get to move that turn.

• Like 1

To operate the bat in a boardgame, the following could be implemented...

When a player rolls the dice, the player also rolls a special die for the bat (for example, a D20), which corresponds to a specific grid area on the board...

The bat flies to that grid and performs the following action:

1) If there is an object within the grid, it picks it up (dropping a currently held item).

2) If there is a player with an object, it pickpockets the player.

3) If there is more than one object, it takes the most valuable item, according to a "value factor" printed on the board: 1) chalice, 2) sword, 3) bridge, etc.

The bat then flies off the board until the next player rolls...

Edited by keithbk
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, keithbk said:

To operate the bat in a boardgame, the following could be implemented...

When a player rolls the dice, the player also rolls a special die for the bat (for example, a D20), which corresponds to a specific grid area on the board...

The bat flies to that grid and performs the following action:

1) If there is an object within the grid, it picks it up (dropping a currently held item).

2) If there is a player with an object, it pickpockets the player.

3) If there is more than one object, it takes the most valuable item, according to a "value factor" printed on the board: 1) chalice, 2) sword, 3) bridge, etc.

The bat then flies off the board until the next player rolls...

I'd make 1 change to your very good list or bat rules.  For #2 the player gets a chance to roll the dice for "avoidance" of the bat.  The chances should be in the bat's favor, but the player should have an opportunity to avoid.  Maybe this would be a grid exit as in the video game you have to leave the screen :)

As to the Chalice and the "secret location," several tile pieces can be placed at various locations (different castles). Only 1 tile holds the chalice. As players explore realm and reveal the tiles, eventually they will discover which one is actually the chalice. The "dummy" tiles have no value. 

The bat cannot move an unrevealed tile.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Hi there.

I found this post interesting so I decided to share here a mini-board game I have writen very insperied in Adventure from Atari 2600.
The name of the game is "Aventura" (which means "Adventure" in Portuguese). 

Unfortunately I haven't yet translate it to English, but hopefully I might have some time to do that in the near future.
I just recorded (in English) talking about it, explaining the rules and playing the game:

You will find the files for download in the description of the video in Youtube.

I hope you enjoy.