New Atari Lynx games - new boxes ?

Fadest

Lynx box  

15 members have voted

1. 1. What should I do ?

• I like it, go with it
    • Keep the good old box style

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I will soon release some of my games in physical form (more to come about this).

I'm working on all the extra stuff, stickers, manual, box, deluxe edition, ... and I have a question about box.

I made a quick & dirty tiny prototype, so the size is not good (will be the same size than a standard Lynx box). Also, the insert inside the box is missing (it would be a cardboard with a central hole for the Lynx cartridge, like card games).

Here is a small footage :

Well, now pros and cons as I can see them :

+ : easier to open the box and get the cartrige

+ : the inside can be printed (see video), even if maked by the insert

+ : same format than original box, so no difference on a shelve

- not the original box & inserts

- the front opens completely, and is thin (whereas sides and back are doubled) so may be more fragile than actual box if you manipulate it a lot of time. I have a sample - not the same locking system, but will be the same carboard - I opened and closed it maybe one hundred of time and no problem, it is flexible but seems resistant.

Overall, price is quite the same, new option maybe a bit more expensive, but there would be no impact on final retail price.

Edited by Fadest
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I like that design you're proposing, though the front part being thin makes me wonder if its a good option.

Nonetheless, I think it makes sense to have some alternative boxes for homebrew.. for years I've been contacting print shops to discuss the original design, but it comes with a hefty cost and can only be done in larger quantities where I live. The easiest way to overcome this is to deviate from the norm. At the end of the day, I personally appreciate a good package more than the fact if its being true to the original.

• Like 3

Thanks for the idea. I am also considering using 300g/m2 box material. A local photo shop prints out SPA3 sheets for decent prices on this paper.

The size is 320mm by 450mm. So even folding an inset would fit. The only problem is cutting the sheet. You may need to order a stencil. But it would be the same for all games.

Here are the prices I would have to pay.

SRA3 300 g 

1 kpl

9,90 €

2-4 kpl

6,90 €

5-9 kpl

3,90 €

10-19 kpl

2,50 €

20-49 kpl

1,50 €

50-99 kpl

1,00 €

100 -> kpl

0,90 €

• 2 weeks later...

Just got the prototype run.

Made 20 box of old Yastuna 2, rather than 1 of the new games.

IMG_20210611_121248.thumb.jpg.363580b2c10fc2a125d64f86732ac798.jpg

Print quality is very good. When closed, the box twists less than standard template, even with no insert.

But the prototype is not perfect :

- dimensions are a bit too big (1 or 2 mm on each dimension), and it would probably be the same with standard template. This is because the factory asks for internal dimensions, and it is hard to estimate the thickness added by the cardboard. This is not a big issue as I will adjust dimensions for real runs.

- I made a silly mistake on the side, reference number is FD20202 instead of FD2002 :(

Will upload a video this afternoon...